Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW and Hyundai work with tech consortium on in-vehicle networking

Filed under: Technology, BMW, Hyundai, Infotainment

While BMW (and by relation, Mini) have been pioneering in-car connectivity for the last few years, Hyundai is still playing catch-up. The Korean automaker's focus has been squarely set on bringing world-beating products to market, but consumer demand for infotainment systems isn't abating. So Hyundai is joining BMW and a range of technology companies to work on the next generation of in-car networking solutions.

Broadcom, NXP, Freescale and Harman have banded together to create the OPEN (One-Pair Ether-Net) Alliance special interest group and BMW and Hyundai are the first two automakers to sign on.

The group will be working towards ethernet-based automotive connectivity, but that doesn't mean you'll be running a CAT5 cable out your house and into car.

The SIG is backing Broadcom's BroadR-Reach cable - specifically developed for automotive applications - that's able to transmit up to 100 Mbps over a single, unshieled wire. This should reduce internal networking costs and also shave a few pounds from production vehicles in the process. If you want to geek out on the details, hit the jump for the release.Continue reading BMW and Hyundai work with tech consortium on in-vehicle networking
    BMW and Hyundai work with tech consortium on in-vehicle networking originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 22 Nov 2011 08:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

I said in search of my botni, not in search of my bhootni. Please stop sending me PMs.
Working...
X