Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: McLaren dubs next supercar MP4-27 at Production Centre opening [w/videos]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official: McLaren dubs next supercar MP4-27 at Production Centre opening [w/videos]

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Plants/Manufacturing, Videos, UK, MISC

Turning a Formula One team into an automaker is no mean feat. Ferrari did it decades ago, and now McLaren is following suit. The first product of the newly formed McLaren Automotive - an offshoot of the F1 team - has already hit the market in the form of the MP4-12C, with several additional models planned over the coming years. But in order to do so, they'll need a state-of-the-art production facility.

Fortunately, that's just what McLaren has built at its cutting-edge factory in Woking, England. The new McLaren Production Centre has just opened its doors, inviting British Prime Minister David Cameron to swing by for a tour.

In announcing the visit, McLaren has also revealed the name of its next project as the MP4-27. The vehicle is expected to be a proper successor to the McLaren F1 supercar, a model that broke all the performance records when it launched in 1994. The name may be no more exciting than the MP4-12C, but McLaren Chief Designer Frank Stephenson promises more dynamic styling. And the performance will be blistering, the car is rumored to pack 799 horsepower for a sub-3-second 0-60 time.

Of course, that's not all that McLaren is working on these days, fielding its own front-running, World Championship F1 team while supplying the electronics for the next generation of F1 engines as well as those for IndyCar, NASCAR, airplane engines and the BMW-redesigned BART subway system in San Francisco. In other words, there's not a lot of sitting still going on in Woking, and that's just the way they seem to like it.

Follow the jump for the full press release and a pair of videos from the facility's opening, and scope out the high-res images in the gallery for a look behind the curtain.Continue reading McLaren dubs next supercar MP4-27 at Production Centre opening [w/videos]
    McLaren dubs next supercar MP4-27 at Production Centre opening [w/videos] originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:32:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

I said in search of my botni, not in search of my bhootni. Please stop sending me PMs.
Working...
X