Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future of Aircrafts

This is awesome!! So many cool ideas.

An experimental Boeing X-48B aircraft sports a unique design that smoothly combines its body and wings. The X-48B's "blended wing body" could become a popular template for commercial passenger planes in the coming decades because of its fuel-saving potential, according to a new report by the U.K.'s Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).

If built, planes such as the Supersonic Green Machine would be the successors of the
    Concorde and the Tupolev Tu-144, the only supersonic plane designs to fly commercially. The Concorde, however, was an economic failure because of its expensive upkeep and the high cost of a ticket, which could run to several thousands of dollars.

Four corporate jets fly in close formation above New Jersey in this undated photograph. In the future, planes on overseas or long-haul flights could fly in V-shaped formations for fuel savings of up to 12 percent, according to the IMechE report.

Geese and other birds use this strategy to save energy on long flights. As air hits a bird in flight, it flows down the wings and creates vortices, which impose drag on a lone flyer. When flying in formation, the birds behind can ride on top of the vortices created by those in front, reducing drag on the overall formation.

Source.

Re: Future of Aircrafts

can these planes also adjust wings during flight?
    and those who say, Our Lord, Give us, from our spouses and our children, comfort of eyes, and make us heads of the God-fearing.
    [25:74]

Comment

Some of these have been in labs for a long time now. Unfortunately we still have to solve a lot of issues that come with such designs. Until we can figure those out, I don't think we're close to anything too revolutionary just yet. The blended wing has various questions it needs to answer and supersonic aircraft have to deal with noise regulations!

And the Concorde was killed more because of regulations than just the maintenance costs.
      It couldn't fly anywhere other than over the Atlantic and across the Channel because of noise regulations.
      Plus with safety regulations, upkeep was just getting on a bit.
      Its pretty sad but I am glad I got to explore one of the Concorde's that were grounded.
      Amazing technology.
      Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back at yours, now back to mine. Sadly, your signature isnít mine.

Comment

yup they can adjust angle when flying. once cruising at high speeds your angle does not need to be so high. in other words they can fold in ideally when cruising at high speeds which is more efficient. However, implementing a device that alters the wing mid flight is too expensive and adds to weight, hence the reason why they dont chge shapes.
        The Prophet also said: "Knowledge from which no benefit is derived is like a treasure out of which nothing is spent in the cause of God." - Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 108

Comment

Check this out, Alhamdulillah im glad to say that I worked on a group project at uni that studied a plane very similar and we got similar results.

Reducing noise from a Boeing 767-sized aircraft to levels so low that take-offs and approaches would not be audible beyond an airport's perimeter is possible...

Reducing noise from a Boeing 767-sized aircraft to levels so low that take-offs and approaches would not be audible beyond an airport's perimeter is possible with a blended wing body airframe powered by three-fan fully ducted engines, British researchers have concluded.
          Cambridge University head of engineering Dame Ann Dowling, presenting the findings of the Silent Aircraft Initiative at the Royal Aeronautical Society on 15 November, said the goal of reducing aircraft noise by 25dB - equal to the reduction already achieved since the start of the jet age and taking noise down to a level less than 1% of today's aircraft - could be achieved by ditching wing-and-tube airframes for slatless, flapless blended wing bodies.
          These would feature a "leading carving edge" shape not previously examined by BWB projects, such as the study carried out at Boeing - a Silent Aircraft Initiative partner along with Rolls-Royce and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
          The Prophet also said: "Knowledge from which no benefit is derived is like a treasure out of which nothing is spent in the cause of God." - Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 108

Comment

You should see an A380 in action.
            Its barely audible if you're off the tarmac!
            Look at your signature, now back to mine, now back at yours, now back to mine. Sadly, your signature isnít mine.

Comment

yeh yeh, in dubai airport we drove past one, very very nice

dreamliner claims to be quiet will be interesting to hear that.

For electric cars now they are so quiet that some companies are thinking of making artificial sounds as pedestrians are not aware of them

Comment

Working...
              X