[funnay] Internet Explorer is the best thing in the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[funnay] Internet Explorer is the best thing in the world

A MAN FROM Microsoft claimed that its browser, Internet Explorer, owes its success not to the fact it's bundled free with Windows but because it's better than anything else, full stop. Rishi Srivastava, Windows client director at Microsoft India, made the bizarre comments in response to an article run by the Financial Express.
    He told the newspaper that that it's only the techie community that use other browsers like Firefox and Opera. Your average Josephine or Joe Punter find IE as comfortable as a very comfortable soft couch in heaven.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30405
    Last edited by Najim; Mar 21, 2006, 06:08 AM.
    I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Re: [funnay] Internet Explorer is the best thing in the world

A MAN FROM
    Microsoft claimed that its browser, Internet Explorer, owes its success not to the fact it's bundled free with Windows but because it's better than anything else, full stop. Rishi Srivastava, Windows client director at Microsoft India, made the bizarre comments in response to an article run by the Financial Express.
    He told the newspaper that that it's only the techie community that use other browsers like Firefox and Opera. Your average Josephine or Joe Punter find IE as comfortable as a very comfortable soft couch in heaven.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30405
    Us nai to yehi kehna hai, naa? Aakhir naukri ka masla hai.
    Last edited by Najim; Apr 25, 2006, 03:44 PM.
    The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

Sorry 5Abi,

I had to edit, it was showing google adds (some kinda hidden script, copied it self during ur cut & paste)

Comment

Originally posted by Najim
        Sorry 5Abi,

I had to edit, it was showing google adds (some kinda hidden script, copied it self during ur cut & paste)
        And I was wondering whether 5Abi has started his own advertisement business on GS.
        The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

Well, technically it is true. The fact that its already there makes it convenient. Eg. how many people actually go out and get other text editors, and not just use Notepad?
          An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

Originally posted by Umer
            Us nai to yehi kehna hai, naa? Aakhir naukri ka masla hai.
            jadon nokari karni hai tai nakhra ki

Comment

delete ddelete
              Åchi ßachi Çlub- Director of Progressive Elements & The Club

( (R)·:*:·If u cånnot bê thê poêt, bê thê poêm·:*:·(R)

Comment

Originally posted by TofiBaba
                Well, technically it is true. The fact that its already there makes it convenient. Eg. how many people actually go out and get other text editors, and not just use Notepad?
                Not sure which way you are leaning since you ended it with an open-ended question. The issue is not how many people use IE (its a huge majority, obviously), but how many think its really better than the rest. Same with Notepad. I am sure a vast majority of the people use it, simply because its there, available and free, but that doesn't automatically mean that Notepad is the best text editor out there. May be. May be not.

Coming back to IE, hand to heart, it is a fairly good browser. All the security glitches aside. I had tried Netscape (various versions), SBC Browser (various versions), AOL browser (various versions), and even Firefox... and every time I reverted back to IE. The main pull was the way I could easily customize IE and have the Links bar right there. ISP-provided browsers try to make it idiot-proof and child-like and thus I don't like them. Firefox offered no significant performance advantage to my untrained eye. However, once I started using Opera, I got hooked. So now my first choice is Opera browser, and I believe its really the best browser around, and better than IE. The other fact is that many websites are optimized for IE, so in many instances using IE is just easier.

By the way, anytime a software is under intense scrutiny by hackers and experts (like IE is), security issues will definitely be discovered. If tomorrow Firefox is used as much as IE, I am sure hackers will find dozens of security flaws there too. Already the signs are there, that to a determined hacker, there is no such thing as fool-proof. So those lamenting security holes of IE, yeah yeah, but....
                "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

No doubt that IE is the most used browser on Windows Platform. In early 90s I was using Mosaic (the original Internet Browser) and I remember Netcape coming in the market. I started using Netscape version 1.1 as my first browser after Mosaic.

With start of Windows 95 / Win NT Microsoft introduced IE 3 as add on to Windows but later on it was added to core of windows.

Since a browser automatically comes with the Windows Installation so a user doesn't find it prudent to install another software and hence uses IE as browser.

Advantages of using IE is that it uses already loaded resources of windows making it a bit quicker, most of the websites are designed for IE because most of the developers think/know that IE is widely used browser. Its easy to manipulate by user to set it up according to their needs. It has smooth compatibility with other Windows programs when it comes to plugins etc.

Disadvantages mainly includes, security. But in the today's world security is the most important thing. The other disadvantage is that no IE for Linux what so ever. Some Jiyalay have gone a step ahead & some how made a version that works with Linux but MS considering Linux as its worst rival doesn't make any software that can be run on Linux directly.

Opera has improved alot since its version 8.5 and now its just getting better, but the only problem with Opera is taking more resources than Firefox. I dont like installing too many plugins if I am using Windows but with firefox I have to do that but I can sacrifice me being lazy over security. On top of it I find that java from java.com is way more stable than JVM (personal opinion) so having JRE is a must now.

I must admit that I am hooked to firefox, it fulfils all my needs and its definately ahead of IE when it comes to security. Loads of extentions available and there are loads of other gadgets if one wants to add. Also Mozilla people are much quicker than bringing patches when it comes to security than Opera Team & MS.

Comment

unjabi:

Comment

5Abi,

Well presented GIF, I haven't seen that bad IE but something very near to it. This is the problem with IE ... usually doesn't have with firefox/Opera.

Comment

5abi... that is classic... i soo miss those toolbars
                        Life is not a joke, but a life without jokes is a cruel joke of life

Comment

Najim nice post up there.

The biggest problem with IE is that it is too deeply embedded into the Windows Architecture. Microsoft made the biggest mistake to integrate Internet Explorer with Windows Explorer. "Browser Integration" was supposed to be a big "innovation" for Microsoft customers, and that is why it was "OK" to crush Netscape? That feature was the grand daddy of all the evils that IE latter had to confront with. Seriously, any application that is interacting with the outside world (Internet) should be run under reduced privileges, rather it should be sand boxed, to avoid security problems.

Looks like FINALLY Microsoft is doing what it should have done a decade ago.

Internet Explorer 7 to be split from Windows Explorer

Back in the mid-1990s, security experts warned Microsoft that integrating a Web browser deeply into Windows was a mistake. A decade and countless security vulnerabilities later, Microsoft is tacitly conceding the critics had it right.

The new version of Internet Explorer to be released as part of the Vista version of Windows this fall -- and separately for Windows XP -- loses much of the privileged relationship with Windows that the Microsoft browser has long enjoyed.

Read More.
                          To test this, When I installed IE 7 Beta the first thing i did was open a new tab and type C:. And up pops a seperate windows explorer process. BTW, just go and type C: in firefox/opera, see what happens.

Microsoft is making huge progress is IE 7 security wise. IE 7 on Vista will not run with the privledges of the current user. Instead there will be a broker application that facilitates certain "dangerous" actions, such as saving files or changing settings.

Firefox is good but i hate to add all the extensions to get things going, when i can get the "out-of-the-box" experience with opera. And then there is a major Memory leak issue with firefox too.
                          {o,o}
                          |)__)
                          -"-"-

O RLY?

Comment

^ informative posts IL and Najim

ya, good thing for MS that they finally went along with the idea of splitting IE from explorer. Gates actually admitted that they should have spent more resources on their browser and the web technologies..

The alternate browser privileges was always needed... MS finally getting things right.
                            Life is not a joke, but a life without jokes is a cruel joke of life

Comment

Some smart chick from Harvard explains why IE has been so successful.

The debate was this: Did Microsoft win because its Internet Explorer was the technologically superior product to Netscape Navigator, or was Microsoft just more successful at the distribution end by convincing most PC companies, some argue by anticompetitive tactics, to include IE on every PC shipped in the late 1990s? Researchers line up on both sides of the argument.

Q:
                              What are the chances for browsers like Firefox and Camino for the Mac to become mainstream products?
                              A: Firefox and Camino claim only a small market share, and those users are on the tech-savvy end of the user spectrum. In particular for Mac-centric browsers, we still live in a PC-dominated world. Until IT managers in large enterprises are willing to support these browsers, they will not hit the mainstream in any major fashion. Why won't an IT manager support these versions? The biggest headache with these browsers is that the majority of Web sites are optimized on IE. Try going to some of the major commercial airline sites, or to the Web sites of older and smaller companies. If you use Firefox, sometimes you will find missing menus, missing pictures, links that don't work, etc. Even Netscape doesn't work with all of our Harvard Business School applications.

But its Webmasters who are the real barrier to a late-to-the-game second mover in the browser market. Because different browsers require slightly different code to be viewable, it is costly for Webmasters to write for different types of browsers. They will tend to pick the browser that is most used by the majority of end-users. Thus, the source of network effects in this market is indirect. While end-users don't know which browser other users are using, the developers of the content that make the browser so useful do care that everyone is using a similar browser.

Q: So Firefox and other new browsers, no matter that they have new features and refinements that IE lacks, remain at a competitive disadvantage?
                              Game over. Firefox and the others have to get the installed base of IE users to switch to their browser, a much harder proposition than IE faced in the '90s when all it had to do was get new users to pick IE rather than Netscape as their first browser.

Either the innovations would have to be huge improvements over what IE can currently do, or a huge problem would have to arise with current IE use to create an opening for such a late second mover to make headway and lead people to go through the hassle of switching their browser. Even with the security issues that plague IE, Microsoft has a huge amount of cash. If any browser really became a threat, Microsoft could easily imitate their innovation, or fix the IE problem with a patch. Indeed, IE successfully caught up to Netscape's quality by throwing a lot of money and manpower into IE browser development.

Complete interview is here: http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=5288&t=innovation

Comment

Working...
                              X