renaming w2k server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

renaming w2k server

Ever since I installed active directory on a w2k server (at a remote location), I cannot connect to it using \\servername from HQ. I get a message like:

\\servername is not accessible
    Login Failure: The target account name is incorrect.

OR, I get an error from some server saying that a duplicate name exists on the network in HQ. I have verified that this is not the case.

Basically I have exhausted all possibilities to fix the problem and just want to start from scratch by renaming the server and then making new DNS entries on HQ server.

The problem is when I go in to Network Identification to change the server name, that option is disabled and it says: "The identification of this computer cannot be changed because - this computer is a domain controller."
    How can I overcome this without causing major problems on the server. This server is hosting couple of important web sites, so I don't want to do anything too risky.

Thanks.

Re: renaming w2k server

u need to demote it and take away the DC role from it. Click on Start/Run and type "dcpromo" and hit enter and demote it to a regular server then you'd be able to change its name. It should effect the websites as long as you don't mess with the IP's (port, header checking etc).
    An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

Thanks Tofi. I'll try it this evening.

Comment

Two things,,,, 1.. are you able to access through \\IP 2. are you able to access through \\FQDN ( e.g. \\sername.domainname.com)

if yes,then the servername entry is not in the local netbios server ( i.e. WINS )

Comment

Yeah I can access through \\IP just fine, but not through \\servername.
          Interestingly, all other servers on HQ network can access it by server name just fine. Its only couple of servers in one domain that cannot do that. I have deleted the DNS entry several times and tried it again, but still I get this message:
          \\servername is not accessible

I would REALLY like to resolve this. It has been going on for months, and it doesn't seem to be working.

Comment

Originally posted by coOoLBreeze
            if yes,then the servername entry is not in the local netbios server ( i.e. WINS )
            I do not see any servers listed under WINS in any server. Do I need to do anything here?

Comment

SKY,, tell me that where are those couple of servers who cannot access the SERVER using its name, are they remote or on HQ..

n yes if you dont see any entry in the WINS, then this means that you dont have WINS server on your network, or may be you are just missing it. ask your network admin..
              Actually if you use \\servername.domain.com then it gets resolves using the DNS, if you use \\servername then it tries to search either the local NetBios name table or goes to the WINS server.
              Are you sure you can access the server using \\sername.domain.com (FQDN)
              you are edit your LMHOSTS file and put entry into it,but that way has to be done on all the comptuers/serve who are unable to access it.. the path to LMHOSTS file is this C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc just read the instructions carefull in it, and make changes..

Comment

did you try rebooting those servers that you can't access from? Check if those servers have the right DNS server-settings. Try "ipconfig /flushdns" and "nbtstat -R" to clear the local netbios cache. And as CB said check the host and lmhost files to see if they are not pointing to the wrong address.

Comment

cooLBreeze - here's the scenario...

I have Server A, B, & C in HQ. Server X is in a remote location.
                  Server A & B are in the same domain and cannot connect to Server X.
                  Server X can connect to A & B.
                  Server C and all other servers in HQ can connect to Server X just fine.

So, the problem is when Server A & B try to connect to X by \\ServerX or \\ServerX.domain.companyname.com - I get this error:

\\ServerX is not accessible

Server X did not have active directory installed. So I installed it and used same domain name as the one for Server A & B. Technically speaking, since these domains exist in different locations all these server are not really in one domain. I did this to fool Brightstore High Availabilty which requires all servers in different locations to be in same domain.

So based on your suggestion, I added this on the last line of LMHOSTS file:
                  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ServerX

I also added this on the last line of HOST file.

It still does not work.

Originally posted by coOoLBreeze
                  ask your network admin..

Comment

Originally posted by TofiBaba
                    did you try rebooting those servers that you can't access from? Check if those servers have the right DNS server-settings. Try "ipconfig /flushdns" and "nbtstat -R" to clear the local netbios cache. And as CB said check the host and lmhost files to see if they are not pointing to the wrong address.
                    Yes, I have restarted the servers and also used both commands. But the problem persists.

Tofi, how about you make a trip to Maryland and configure this stupid Brightstore High Availibity for me. I am this close *pinching finger and thumb* to getting it all worked out. This new problem seems to be the only hurdle right now. I will pay for your services :~D

Comment

Aah, so the truth finally comes out. A and B can't connect to X cuz when they access it they use the "domainA\administrator" account with SID e.g. 12345, but Server X sees it as "domainA\administrator" account with SID 98765.
                      While trying to fool Brightstore you actually fooled yourself.
                      In you case the only thing you can do is demote the ServerX and put it in the original domain or you'd never be able to use the same useraccount across the server that Brightstore requires.

PS: I can do the HA install but its a pain in the ass. Have you started looking at the Cisco floating network yet? You need something like to actually have a true failover.

Comment

Well if it can't authenticate automaicaly since SIDs are different for both accounts, shouldn't it atleast ask for user ID and password?
                        Oh well, I guess the systems are smarter than I thought. So, how can I build a domain trust relationship between servers accross networks? Can you please explain it to me step by step. Otherwise, I may not have any other choice than to drive up there, bring the server to HQ, join the domain, and then take the server back to data center. But I have a feeling ke raaste mein hee trust khatam ho jae gee.

Tofi, now you're telling me . Aap ke kehne par hee tau BHA lya tha. Pehle Cisco ka batana tha kyoonke abb tau mein BHA khareed kar phans gya hoon

Comment

BHA works fine on the same subnet, but for different or WAN connections you need one of those magical floaters. I would have assumed you'd do the due diligence before buying the software.

Anyhow, u don't have to drive the server there, as long you have IP connectivity, just change the DNS to the Servers A and B and join the domain. You would ofcourse have to demote it first.

Comment

Tofi I'm just messin with you. I had used their trial software and was somehow able to make it work over the WAN in testing environment. I'm sure it is something very small that's keeping it from working as it should. Acutally, several sources including CA's site highly reccommend it for server replication over different subnets. But in addition some places also warned that its PITA to configure.

I will try your method over the weekend and see if that helps.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,, I was out coz of the weekends at my side.
                              Anyway as TB said the situation is pretty clear. You should DEMOTE and then join the computer to the domain w/o much of problem if you have IP connectivity. See this tool and run it on remote network for any nw related issues. http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000.../netdiag-o.asp

Comment

Working...
                              X