Repairing laptop hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing laptop hardware

I have a p3-500 Dell Latitude LS notebook. Its like 3-4 yrs old and has only one USB port. That one USB port has started causing problems (it powers on and off on random) and after many tests i have come to the conclusion that some of its internal connections have gone loose and need to be resoldered. Therefore i need to open this puppy up and get some heat on.

Now the problem is even after unscrewing ALL visible screws on the laptop i still cant get it to open up. It seems some part of it is clipped on and i cant seem to figure out which one.

So i was wondering if any of you have any experience with dell laptops and if anybody knows where i can find some documentation regarding dell laptop repair and maintenance. Or any other info that can help my cause. Thanks in advance.
    Yaad aaiy jo dard ki raat may, jis ki baat ho apni har baat may.

Re: Repairing laptop hardware

thalay rakh kay itt maar, aapay ee khul jaye gaa

:d
    I told you duniya gol hay...

Comment

Its my only computer kulfi walay.

Fir te sirf ohi nahi, saadi vi khul jaavay gi :-/

Comment

Cheegz,. can you post a few pics of the khulla hua lappy?

then I can point out where its clipped or where It should be unscrewed.

Comment

Oh and did you manage to take out the keyboard? Once you have done that, then its fairly eay to dismantle the rest of the components.

Comment

Take out all the other components like the battery and drives etc.

What's the model # on that thing?

Google search: "site:dell.com model number LS notebook"
            An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

Thanks gizzy and tofi.

Gizzy ill take some pics of the laptop.. problem is the USB aint working so i cant transfer any pics to it. Ill try still. And i havent been able to take the keyboard out.. will try that today.

Tofi i took out everything possible still no luck.

Comment

most laptops require the keyboard to be detached before you can completely access the internal components (HDD)
                Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

nos in my laptop the HDD can be removed by unscrewing just two screws and without even disturbing any other component at all.

Comment

dunno if you have this already Cheegs... but here's the Service Manual:

http://support.jp.dell.com/docs/Syst..._en/3538u0.pdf
                    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

UT thanks man! This pdf is the shiznit!! I'll get on it asap.

Comment

I am glad to announce that my assumption about the USB's contacts getting loose was right and with the help of the service manual above i was able to get to the root of the problem and even though i havent properly fixed it (resoldering the contacts) i have found a temporary solution and will be fixing the thing properly in a few days.

Thanks Umar Talib, you just saved me $75!

Comment

glad to be of service... resources from the ole systems tech days come in handy sometimes.
                          Good Luck mate.
                          For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                          X