Saving to rewritable cd's {cd-rw}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving to rewritable cd's {cd-rw}

Daustu, I want to download a program from the net straight to a rewritable cd instead of saving it to disk, as storage space is fast becoming a bit of a worry. Please tell me how I can do that, as i haven't the foggiest.

Jazaks'

Re: Saving to rewritable cd's {cd-rw}

You probably can't. Burning a CD (CD-R or CD-RW) requires use of software, and is not as simple as placing the file into a folder.

What you can easily do is to copy it to your Hard Disk Drive (HDD), burn it on a CD, and then delete it from HDD to free up the space. You probably need to keep a portion of HDD free as a cache to have Windows software running smoothly, anyway.
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Most new CD recorders support something called "Mt Ranier", which allows you to burn directly to CD (similar to copying to a floppy disk, for example). In order to write to a Mt Ranier compatible drive, you will first need to install Windows XP Service Pack 1, available from Microsoft.

If your CD Recorder does *not* support Mt Ranier, you will need to install supplemental "packet writing" software, in order to write to directly to a CD. The caveat here is that most packet writing software is not freeware. Furthermore, packet writing software (DirectCD, InCD, DLA, for example) are not natively compatible with other Windows systems. Also, CD packet writing software will disable Windows XP's built-in CD recording feature, so you will have to use the packet writing software interface to record directly to CD (Source: aumha.org).

If your CD Recorder drive supports Mt Ranier, and you have Windows XP Service Pack 1 installed, you can easily write to CD using these steps:

First, make sure that your CD-R drive has "enabled recording". To do this, go to My Computer, right click your CD-Recorder drive, and select Properties. Go to the Recording Tab and ensure that "Enable CD Recording on this drive" has a checkmark beside it. Once recording is enabled, insert your disc. If you're using a CD-RW, you can format by right-clicking on the CD-Recorder drive and select "erase this CD-RW".

If you want to save a file from the Internet to CD, for example, simply click the download link, and a "File Download" window should appear. From here, click the "Save" option, and then a "Save As" window will ask where to save the file. In this case, select your CD Recordable drive from the pull-down menu. Note, however, that any file downloaded will actually save to your hard drive first; you will need to right-click the CD-R drive in My Computer and select "write files to disc" to actually store the downloaded file(s) to disc.

More information on directly burning to a CD using Windows XP

There is a web page dedicated to burning directly to a CD using Windows XP, available from aumha.org. The page explains in great detail much, but the lingo is a bit technical and may be over the head of some Readers.

Comment

thanks a lot bud, very through

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal
          You probably can't. Burning a CD (CD-R or CD-RW) requires use of software, and is not as simple as placing the file into a folder.
          aap abhi bhi Win 3.11 use karr rahe heiN ?
          For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

^lolz
            Bored Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Umar Talib
              aap abhi bhi Win 3.11 use karr rahe heiN ?

Comment

nope he is not on win 3.1 too advanced, he is on dos

Comment

A better alternative that I can suggest is use a 160GB(depending on ur requirement) external hard drive & make a couple of backups & periodically do a sequential backup.

That will save u the trouble of labelling the cds and/or misplacing them
                  I raced @200kph, crashed & survived. If you havent seen God, your not driving fast enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X