USB to serial port adapters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB to serial port adapters

i am stuck with a device and its not so cheap software that needs a serial port, and my desktop's serial port seems dead. anyone know how well the USB to serial converters work? i cant seem to find any cheap ones, and dont want to blow more money on things that wont work.. help much appreciated.

alternatively, any way to revive my comp's serial port? the device manager shows it as COM2, while the software says there's no COM2 and tries to connect to COM3. help!
    Simple ain't easy.

Re: USB to serial port adapters

umm... com3 is usally a virtual port for like a winmodem and stuff. most wintel computers have com1 and 2. As for USB convertors they are not all tha good. Work with some software and noth others as it is a emulated com port. Some programs want the genuine thing eunning off a BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by queer
      i cant seem to find any cheap ones, and dont want to blow more money on things that wont work
      Can you buy it, and if it doesn't work, just return it. I have not used the Serial to USB, but very recently I did buy a PS2 to USB for my father's laptop (laptop had no PS2 socket but had an empty USB slot, and the spare keyboard I had was PS2). It was pricey, alright, at about 24 bucks, but works perfectly.
      "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Faisal, I'm hoping ur not a mod here

There's tons of USB to serial converters. Most of the the new laptops don't come with serial ports (was such a pain-in-the-a$$) so these came in really handy. Here's a list:
        http://www.usbgear.com/USB-FORENSIC.html
        An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

1. Check your COM if it's actually bad..

2. if it's indeed dead.. and since it's a Desktop.. u should be able to buy an el-cheapo Serial port card ($12) that fits into your PCI slot..

3. Your software may be picky and wants to install it's own driver for the serial port before it starts using it.. I have a host console software that does that.. the COM port can't be used unless i install the specific driver that comes with the software..
          JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Originally posted by TofiBaba
            Faisal, I'm hoping ur not a mod here
            I am not a mod anywhere per aisa bhi kiya bol diya, hain ji... mana ke you guys are all gurus and all that... per kiya kabhi PS2 to USB converter nahi daikha?
            "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

thank you gentlemen for all the suggestions. after some excruciating deep tissue massage, m'sieur COM port has come back to life. such a friggin relief..

faisal, they almost always come in them plastic cases. not sure what the return policy is for them once opened..might involve some restocking fees..
              Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Tell me about it. The new packing style frequented by most manufacturers is such a friggin' pain to open, as it requires one to completely rip it in a most inhumane manner, and in the process there is a great chance of injuring the fingers. But, atleast in Frys and Circuit City they take back such hardware stuff without any restocking fee even when the packing is literally cut all over the place.

The worse is when you return a phone. Their packing is invariably so complicated, that there is no chance in hell that you can put it back in exactly the right order, and thus the box will never close. I just returned the whole thing in a shopping bag, and told them 'go fix it yourself'. No restocking fee, again.

Comment

Working...
                X