Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...Lets see if anyone has a solution for this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...Lets see if anyone has a solution for this...

Ok. Here's the problem:

I have a pc and a laptop. Pc is connected to a router via USB. I have cable modem, pc, and the router connected. Laptop uses the wireless card and is on wireless internet. Router is D-Links.

The laptop works fine. But the PC, after every minute or so, will display "A network cable is unplugged" and it'll disconnect the MSN and if I am visiting a webpage and I refresh it, it'll display page cannot be displayed. It has always done this but now I am really ticked off cuz you are talking to your relatives oversees and all of the sudden stupid thing is unplugged and there's goes the connection. Therefore, you have to keep logging back in every minute and it's so annoying. What's wrong?

Yes, I've made sure the physical cables are plugged all the way in. Nothing is lose.
    I am using Norton firewall. Could that be causing any problem?
    What is it?
    ...I know that which you do not know. (Quran - 1:30)...... Which then of the bounties of your Lord will you deny?...(Quran - 55:13)...
    Shikra was here.

Re: ...Lets see if anyone has a solution for this...

Well, it could be a number of things. As you said Norton might be to blame. Try uninstalling it (just disabling doesn't work most times). Then try using a different network cable, try plugging the cable into a different port, and then last try borrowing someone else's router and test that out. If the wifi is working 100% of the time then its not the outside connection. So there u go.
    An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

One connection, it's zonealarm firewall, not norton I forgot to mention, laptop also uses the zonealarm firewall, the same version and the same settings. I will try to use a different cable or port, and then lets see what happens.
      ...I know that which you do not know. (Quran - 1:30)...... Which then of the bounties of your Lord will you deny?...(Quran - 55:13)...
      Shikra was here.

Comment

My sister faces a similar problem.

'Network card is unplugged' icon is always in the taskbar. It doesn't go away. However, the Internet works fine (most of the time), but the icon alone is very annoying.

We use Linksys router.

Comment

hmmm I have heard of this problem before.
          Let me see If I can find it :biggthumb
          There is no salvation for the soul, But to fall in Love.
          It has to creep and crawl, Among the Lovers first.

Imam Jallal-u-Din Rumi

Comment

option 1:

Check the Internet Explorer/Windows Idle Timer:
            Click on the Start button.
            Scroll up to Settings
            Click, Control Panel
            Double-click on Internet.
            Click the Connection tab.
            Depending on what version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer, the Connection tab will appear different. We are looking for a line that mentions Disconnect if idle. If you cannot find it, or do not know what Internet Explorer version you have, give the follow a try.

option 2:
            remove the lan card completely, cleane the contacts and re-installed it.

option 3:
            networkcard has gone bad

waise I would sudgest to do a ping test first
            There is no salvation for the soul, But to fall in Love.
            It has to creep and crawl, Among the Lovers first.

Imam Jallal-u-Din Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Shikra
              Ok. Here's the problem:
              The laptop works fine. But the PC, after every minute or so, will display "A network cable is unplugged" and it'll disconnect the MSN and if I am visiting a webpage and I refresh it, it'll display page cannot be displayed. It has always done this but now I am really ticked off cuz you are talking to your relatives oversees and all of the sudden stupid thing is unplugged and there's goes the connection. Therefore, you have to keep logging back in every minute and it's so annoying. What's wrong?
              Here are few things you can do to rectify this issue

1) Goto Network & Dialup connection Folder
              2) Right click on "Local Area Connection"
              3) Select "Repair"

If you get any error message then try replacing your USB network card with D-Link Wireless NIC (go according to your pocket).

Comment

Yeah, I missed the USB NIC, that's another variable in this scene. For a PC I would suggest getting a regular PCI NIC. I can send u one if you pick up the shipping charges.

Comment

Nahi. Thanks for the offer but I think the issue has been solved. It's working so far. I haven't seen that stupid notice.

The winner is Tofibaba. You are my hero :Salute:

I had done everything softwarically and didn't even think it could be a hardware issue and it sure was. I just had to plug it into a different port and now it works. Thanks.

p.s. If I speak too soon and it goes back, you are going down Tofibaba.
                  Shikra was here.

Comment

Hain? How am I going down? The offer was made willingly. Plus those cards are pretty inexpensive these days.
                    But I'm glad that it worked out without any $$ going back and forth.

Comment

You will go down because ofcourse everyone loves to blame others, and I will do the same. If the problem occurs again, it's easier to blame someone else (in this case you) than to take the blame, innit? Lekin yes, you are a genius and it worked.
                      Shikra was here.

Comment

mr. shikra dude. In the consulting business I've been open to millions of ways to get blamed, so I'm kinda become immune to have fingers point at me. One network issue, i don't think is going to keep me up a wink.

Comment

haha......consulting business, NICE

It popped up ONLY ONCE in about 2 hours and I can handle that It's better than popping up every other minute. Let's leave it as that before the moderator of this forum gets mad at the moderator of another forum for flooding his forum :halo:
                          Shikra was here.

Comment

Working...
                          X