Require assistance with MS Access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Require assistance with MS Access

Since I have a co-op work term coming up, I've been noticing that many employers require that you are good or at least familiar with MS Access.

I've never used MS Access, in fact, I don't even have it installed.

I was wondering if there are any nice and easy tutorials that I could use to quickly familiarize myself with it.

Please don't give loads of pages on it, as I'm short on time. All I'm looking for is a basic tutorial that could be enough to help me land with a job that requires either basic knowledge or good knowledge of MS Access.

Shukria!

Re: Require assistance with MS Access

try the help section / online documentation..usually the first, best and foremost step to learn about any new software app..
    Last edited by Abdullah k; May 30, 2005, 04:39 PM.

Comment

what better than a book ? cant be arsed paying silly money look for free tutorials which are ususally just as good as published guides. Maybe not as indepth though unless you search specific forums.

Comment

Hi Sadiyah,

This is what I use as an intro tutorial in my 3rd year MIS course:
        http://cisnet.baruch.cuny.edu/holowc...accessall.html
        For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

Umar, thanks a bunch! I'll print it out and go over it, insha'Allah.

risc, I have very limited time and I'm looking for a very basic and quick introduction, so that I could apply for jobs that want the prospective employees to be familiar with MS Access. I'm looking into purchasing a book that I could use to teach myself and also to use for reference.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...605738-2810417

If you want dis book do tell me

Wrox Press Expert One-on-One-Microsoft Access Application Development
            by Helen Feddema (Author) 29197KB

If you are developing databases for your own use, the process need not be complicated. But when you build databases for clients, many of whom may not be familiar with Access or comfortable with databases in general, you have a lot more work to do. I hope this book will make that process easier.
            In these pages, I will teach you how to set up tables and relationships to ensure that the database is properly normalized. Then I’ll help you write VBA code to create the connective tissue that turns a bunch of tables, queries, forms, and reports into a complete and coherent application. We’ll pay special attention to the important but often inadequately documented area of Automation code, which is used to communicate with other Office applications.

Over years of working with Access, I’ve created some add-ins to save time when developing applications. I’ll show you how to use them to create a main menu for an application, automatically apply a naming convention to database objects, and ensure a consistent and professional appearance of the application’s forms.

This book helps you write VBA code that unites database components into an application that works.

What you will learn from this book

How to build integrated Access-based applications that support multiple clients and databases
            Tips for streamlining application creation
            Maintenance required throughout an application’s life cycle, including migrating data from legacy systems and upgrading Office
            How to use Automation code to exchange data among Office components and even some non-Office programs
            Ways to avoid glitches when building Access applications that work with Excel, Word, and Outlook
            Who this book is for

This book is for experienced Access users who are familiar with creating Access objects and writing VBA code, but who need help transitioning from competent users/programmers to full-fledged Access developers.

Wrox Expert One-On-One books present the wisdom accumulated by an experienced author who is recognized as an expert by the programming community. These experts challenge professional developers to examine their current practices in pursuit of better results.

About the Author
            Helen Feddema is an internationally known expert on Microsoft Access, and a regular contributor to Pinnacle’s Smart Access and Office Developer journals. She edits the Woody’s Access Watch e-zine and writes its "Access Archon" column. Helen’s writings and seminars have been helping Access developers since the beta of Access 1.0, one of many she has tested.

Book Description
            * Teaches database developers best practices for building effective applications using Microsoft Access, the most popular database system in the world
            * The three in-depth case studies begin with a relatively simple Access application and then proceed to a more complex distributed application serving multiple clients and types of data, and finally to an Access application designed to work with other Office and non-Office applications
            * Provides hundreds of hidden tips, tricks, and techniques for mastering Access development
            * A leading expert on Microsoft Access, Helen Feddema is an author, consultant, trainer, and leading authority on Microsoft Access who offers readers highly original solutions and workarounds
            * Covers all program versions from Access 2000 to the 2003 release

Comment

Bhai, the book you mentioned looks difficult?

Here's what I had in mind: http://www.course.com/catalog/produc...=0-619-02089-X

I've used MS Excel by the same company and it was a really good book. Unfortunately, I sold it and I gotta get a copy of that too. :S

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiyah
                Bhai, the book you mentioned looks difficult?

Here's what I had in mind: http://www.course.com/catalog/produc...=0-619-02089-X

I've used MS Excel by the same company and it was a really good book. Unfortunately, I sold it and I gotta get a copy of that too. :S
                ahaan

will try to download this book from courses.com FTP but it will take time!

& check this link:

http://www.it.hueuni.edu.vn/digicom/...t.asp?CatID=28

Comment

Working...
                X