Setting up your own server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up your own server

Using Web Abyss Server how can I get my site available on the net ?

I have a network at home using routers. I have a my web abyss server up and running my site locally. How do I go about getting to be availabe on the net? Right now it's using the default port locally. To I just simply have to free a port on my linksys router ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by [ Sh3rY ]; May 28, 2005, 09:05 AM.

Re: Setting up your own server

Edit: Question changed

Comment

amm ... port forwarding?

What's your exact setup like?
      Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

port forwarding etc all done.

I just need some more info abt direct update software. I made a account at dyndns but when i configure my dyndns account in DirectUpdate i get this error: Destination host couldn't be found. I checked all things but same error.,,,

screenshot:
        [thumb=H]1s24822_8110378.JPG[/thumb]

Comment

Change the management post of the router to anthing but 80. which is used by the server. Or make your server use a different port and then follow the steps as shown in the link below.

just follow the steps here on port forwarding:
          http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_...orwarding.html

Comment

^ But why would the router management port matter in this case? he's forwarding the port so shouldn't make a difference.
            Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

did you grant DirectUpdate with access to the Internet? [Incase you've got any type of application security software installed]

Comment

Originally posted by nos
                ^ But why would the router management port matter in this case? he's forwarding the port so shouldn't make a difference.
                basically its like .. 1) the directory u r sitting in, u cant delete it .
                2) branch of tree u sitting on, u cant cut it from the stem.

so if u r forwarding port80 from the router, u're taking away the router's management ability FROM YOU (since its programmed to only respond on port80), if u forward that, a) it wont let u, and b) if it did, u will no longer have access to change router's parameters..

somebody correct me if i'm in wrong direction..thats what i thought.. (cuz once u call 192.168.1.1 its basically opening port 80)
                thanks for pulling head outta your ass long enough to read my post, then highlighting & reading this. Signed:
                -faizy

Comment

^-- if you leave the router port to 80, then all visitors to the website will also see the router.

So put the router on any other port, like 81 or anything..

after that you access the router with: http://192.168.1.1:81

Comment

a. The router management is not accessible from the WAN port (default setting, which ofcourse can be changed), plus has port 8080 or something similar as the default setting
                    b. Most DSL/Cable providers have incoming port 80 blocked (to discourage ppl like us from running web servers at home).
                    c. As Gizzy said check ur pc for security software to see if DirectUpdate has access to the outside. I've used that software off and on and never saw ur error.
                    An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

10x guys for your support . I waz buzy wid some other work. I will start this thingy from the begining and will report here if got any stupid error. 10x again!

Comment

Originally posted by TofiBaba
                        b. Most DSL/Cable providers have incoming port 80 blocked (to discourage ppl like us from running web servers at home).
                        Yup, this is most likely to be the problem (but I thought ISP's in Europe or US really ddin't care about this)

c. As Gizzy said check ur pc for security software to see if DirectUpdate has access to the outside. I've used that software off and on and never saw ur error.
                        Bhai jaan, bhang tou nahee pee aap na? ... read the thread again ...

Comment

NOS, if DirectUpdate can't connect to the DynDNS site then some software or service might be blocking its access to the internet, like a firewall. Why would that require bhang. I think just straight up vodka would do.
                          Last edited by TofiBaba; May 29, 2005, 06:28 PM.

Comment

The reason I asked you to read the thread again (and the Bhung thing) is because it was me who suggested that he should check for security permissions on the firewall .... it wasn't Gizzy

Khair .. no issues

Comment

Oh, well bhang is good once in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X