Unix commands help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unix commands help

Folks, I'm not a unix guy. I hardly use it but for some business functions I've to use it. I've problem remembering unix commands and typing and all that annoying stuff that a windows person feels when dealing with unix. I'm almost completely illetrate to unix in general. Are there any gui tools available that you can use to execute various unix commands? Free ones would do. Thanks.

Re: Unix commands help

There was a post not too long ago by 5watery called Unix in 10 mnts or something similar. Take a look at that. I just saw another site that i'll put a link to a little later.

PS: 5watery = 5Abi
    An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

Now this a real *nix command cheat sheet:

http://www.sloppycode.net/nix/

Comment

UNIX For Dummies
        [thumb=H]0764541471.03.LZZZZZZZ24822_4067701.JPG[/thumb]

The title of this book invites comment. "Some things weren't meant for dummies and Unix is one of them," you might say. Wrong! Levine and Young take advantage of the Dummies format's strength with command-line operating systems. They flatten the learning curve and have even the greenest beginner doing useful work with Unix in mere hours.

Once you get past a couple of pointless chapters about offering pizza to Unix experts in exchange for help, you'll find conceptual explanations of files, directories, permissions, and redirection. Command explanations take a hybrid form; they mix "type this verbatim" statements with tables showing switches and parameters.

Much of Unix for Dummies is task-oriented. You'll find a whole chapter on printing, for example, that covers the commands you'll need to know to format and print a document on the right printer. Other chapters cover file searches, software installation, and X Windows navigation. The book also provides cursory coverage of four text editors--ED, vi, Emacs, and pico--but you learn little more than how to enter and save text in each.

Download:

http://rapidshare.de/files/1881679/U...mmies.zip.html

Comment

stop being a pirate...its haram.

Comment

The best is to change your login file to covert the dos commands to unix commands automatically. Like when you type in dir, unix will execute ls.

But if you are looking for Gui stuff, you are on your own.
            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

How about these?
              [thumb=H]unix%20books11313_8011534.JPG[/thumb]
              I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Comment

Unless u go through some menu driven Unix ... SCO .. or AIX (limited) then u might be able to do work under gui.

If you are just a user then ask ur system administrator to create scripts for you make ur life easier .... if u are an advance user then as a System Admin myself I expect you to remember the commands.

Alternate to this is ... use Linux (KDE) ... or fall back to Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmadjee
                  The best is to change your login file to covert the dos commands to unix commands automatically. Like when you type in dir, unix will execute ls.

But if you are looking for Gui stuff, you are on your own.
                  this qualifies for the most idiotic "tip" ever. thumbs up.

Comment

Heyyy how is that an idotic tip?

As much as I go between my linux and windows, if I didn't have the shortcuts, I would go crazy. My .personal is full of aliases. On windows side I have cygwin running, so I don't trip!

Najim Bhai, isn't GNOME better than KDE?
                    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
                    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by 5Abi
                      How about these?
                      [thumb=H]unix%20books11313_8011534.JPG[/thumb]
                      I can see dust on them
                      Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

yah nos ive had these books for years, there is one book not in the picture which is my fav and i carry it with me, "Unix Power Tools" from O'Reilly
                        I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Comment

Originally posted by TofiBaba
                          PS: 5watery = 5Abi

Now I know what punjab meant, but this truly defines all...
                          I raced @200kph, crashed & survived. If you havent seen God, your not driving fast enough.

Comment

Hey, some may not know, ya know. Thu wadda aya, mr. definition!!

Comment

^^ tuadda bara shukria Mr Mercedes 2003...
                              I raced @200kph, crashed & survived. If you havent seen God, your not driving fast enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X