Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Server 2003 Implementation

OK. Here is the whole scenario.

The org. has about 30 computers on it's domain.

The server was windows 2000...

Just installed a new raid 5 Machine with Windows server 2003 edition with all blah blah features like 2GB RAM dual processors 600 GB etc. etc.

In previous server, the whole Active Directory was messed up with unusual and non-required users and many with admin's right...

So, the only thing taken from the previous server was the DATA and the data structure for the most part... all junk left on the old one..

Before installing AD on new server, I created local users and required group on the mahcine itself and when AD was installed, they just became domain users with NO RIGHTS to begin with except for the one that were given Admin rights purposely...

Now here is the scenario... everything is working absolutely smooth... except for couple of issues.. and I NEED H.E.L.P

SHARES from server are reachable and even server can be reached using \\SERVERNAME

the only problem is with workstations... none of the machines from each other and even from servers are accessible using \\ComputerName

It gives me error... which is like:

\\ComputerName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this Server to find out if you have access permission.

There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request

For this very reason, I am having problem with sharing printers over the network. Also Shared Tab is missing under normal user login but is available under Admin but no use of that anyway..
    Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE. ~Aristotle

Re: Windows Server 2003 Implementation

If you have XP workstations, you have to enable sharing in order to access it remotely. You can enable sharing by going to hard drive or folder properties and enable network sharing. You may want to have User IDs & Passwords of users synched on both server and workstations so they are not prompted to enter it.
    I assume both servers and workstations are on the same network and on same side of firewall.

Comment

^
      that has already been taken in consideration.

Any other clue?
      Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE. ~Aristotle

Comment

I need help a bit in urgent

Comment

Xp's firewall can cause issues especially with recent updates.

This might be dumb....have to given admin rights locally to the domain users.

Also what sort of ports are you using for the printers?

Seems like the old microsoft joke has hit you too.....good luck bro with finding teh rite permissions.....if they are permissions.

Comment

^
            already cheked the firewall option...

and besides it was working fine with the old server...

forget about user rights... no computer with any user is able to access the other.

Comment

its seems a dumb question.. but are all the computers joined to DOMAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by coOoLBreeze
                its seems a dumb question.. but are all the computers joined to DOMAIN.
                Of course.. that's what I think I mentioned in my first post

Comment

ok great.. I thought you were mentioning it for the precvious setup..

Bro the only way that is possible is coz of a firewall or some AV software. like Norton AV which also install Norton Intenret Security...
                  Last edited by coOoLBreeze; May 17, 2005, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Can you ping the PCs from Server as well as PC to PC?

Comment

How are you resolving computer names? DNS or WINS?
                      Make sure you have the new DC's DNS IP as the primary one.
                      Check DNS settings to see if all PC's are present with the proper IPs
                      Make sure reverse DNS is also setup properly
                      I'll post again if I think of something else.
                      An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

saare button daba dou,, chal hi jaye ga... i mean, just keep playing and i bet u r ... it will work..

try sky's pinging check... plz post your new findings...
                        also, plz check your active directory's computers list and see if all computers are in the list. (the directory that is parallel to users)
                        if the share name \\computername doesn't work... try \\ipaddress
                        Life is not a joke, but a life without jokes is a cruel joke of life

Comment

Tofi: it's DNS and it's the new Domain Controller IP as well

Genius Bhai jaan & Sky putter: I can ping and all but can't access... and no sharing via IP instead of name does not work either... already tried that

Comment

Guys:

thanks for your help

I sorted out my problem on my own

I was stupid enough not to check the Domain Security Policy on the Server

just had to add the needful group in "Access from Network"

sorry for inconvinience

Comment

That would've been the first thing I would've checked
                              An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

Working...
                              X