dllhost.exe memory leak in w2k server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dllhost.exe memory leak in w2k server

I have Windows2000 Advance Server running IIS-5 with latest service pack and patches. A process named "dllhost.exe" is causing memory leak until the server crashes. After that the memory is freed up (I guess memory dump) and server is functional again. I think the dllhost.exe issue is related to IIS since it's using the IWAM account. IIS is hosting ASP based applications which also uses COM objects. When the memory is freed up and I go to a URL (with ASP), I get a message: "The remote procedure call failed and did not execute." But if I hit that URL again (hosted on the same server) the site comes up.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Re: dllhost.exe memory leak in w2k server

Something seem to be disrupting dllhost.exe. Check is in %systemroot%\system32\wins for dllhost.....if it exist, then u mite have a bug.

Comment

I checked, but I didn't find that file there.

Comment

did you google for it?

Comment

yeah i did...went upto page 5 of search results...tried couple of thing but still didn't fix it. Usually I see more problems than solutions when I google :~)

I'm gonna try reinstalling the service pack and see. I think one of the dlls might be messed up and screwing up dllhost.exe process.

Comment

looks like the Dcom worm.
            http://www.pchell.com/virus/welchia.shtml

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Q_20268617.html

search more on the topic, and you're set.

Comment

Thanks Gizzy.
              I had already gone through these articles during my search. I don't have symptoms of the virus which one of the article indicates.
              I've also reset incoming connections to the server. Also stopped all non-citical services, but I'm still getting memory leaks.

I'm continuing more search and see if I find anything.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, have u got tcp/ip 6 installed by anychance.

Comment

You mean IPV6?...in that case, no.

Comment

Sky, you are absolutely correct in your first post. This is an ASP based application doing this. ASP is notorious for this. It is almost always related to "bad code." I would check your IIS logs for 500 errors and other errors and go from there. The IIS logs are located at C:\Winnt\System32\LogFiles\W3Svcx. When an ASP application errors, it leaves objects open in memory creating this leak. If your logs look ok. Start going through the ASP code to make sure all objects get closed. (ie. strobj = Nothing) If that doesn't prevail, you might need to make a case with the developer of the ASP application to go through his code. In the meantime I would recommend using the IISReset script every day or whenever, to free the memory (resets IIS services) before the "crash". Good Luck.

Comment

Try this utility from sysinternals called Process Explorer (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../procexp.shtml). This should give you more of an insight of what may be going on with the running processes.
                      An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

It turned out that ASP code was the culprit that caused memory spikes. The problem went away after we took care of it.

Tofi - i'm going to bookmark the link if I have a need for it in the future.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X