Call for the real Geniuses!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call for the real Geniuses!

I was shutting down my computer ... it was taking for ever so i manually held the power for 7 seconds and it shutted down.

The next boot failed and started automatically... Then it gave the options of

Safe Mode
    Last known good configuration
    Start windows normally

no matter which one i choose, it goes to the Windows logo screen but right after that , i see a black screen and the computer reboots again...

so i installed an operating system on the same drive
    ----option (leave system files intact) in win xp pro setup

so i have a new OS in Windows directory..

the old one in in C:\WINNT

i get two choices now when the computer starts - the first one is the new os, which works. I want to get the first one working. Now that i can have access to the whole C drive, can i put some files in C:\WINNT directory so that my old OS starts working

The Old one was Win XP SP2... this new one is Win XP SP1...

Any help will be very much appreciated...
    Life is not a joke, but a life without jokes is a cruel joke of life

Re: Call for the real Geniuses!

A friend of mine had the exact same prob with her computer about a month ago... my bro fixed it for quite easily.. i dont kno if this method will work with yours but you might as well give it a shot..

tho i should mention that she didnt install another OS, so it might be a bit different for you..

anyway.. when the computer starts up you press F8 (i think, could be F5 - maybe wait for someone else to verify this before you try it). it should give you a couple of options... one of them should be step-by-step... and then well you just go through the steps and anything you think shouldnt be there, you just select no and see if it starts up normally. if you dont kno what you're looking for this can be a lengthy process of trial and error.

when you've found the problem then go into safe mode and delete the program thats causing probs. it might not necessarily be a program you recently installed, the program which suddenly caused this prob for my friend had been on her comp for months.

anyway, not sure this'll work. but hope it helps..

Comment

I would backup everything and start over with a fresh OS on a formatted hard drive
      You have the right to remain silent, anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

asif... it has many management consoles ... countless utilities, and lots of programs that i will be to re-install... it also has some scheduled tasks that run nightly.... job ka pc hai yar...

koi aur tareeqa hai?

Kwazy Kitty... thanks for the idea.. i will try it

Comment

Try the following...

This will repair a Windows XP boot record and make Windows XP bootable.

Note: This will not damage the Master Boot Record, so can be used on dual-boot systems.

1. Boot the computer from the Windows XP CDROM.

2. When prompted to press a key for system recovery, press the appropriate key.

3. When prompted for a Windows XP system to recover, select 1 for C:\WINDOWS

4. When prompted, type in the system administrator password for the system.

5. A list of files will appear on the screen.

6. Type fixboot c:

7. Type exit

8. The system will now reboot
          You have the right to remain silent, anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

and if that doesn't work, try the following:

boot to recovery console from xp cd like I suggested above then run chkdsk /r

if even that doesnt fix the problem again boot to rec console and run bootcfg /rebuild

Comment

Looks like a case of some damadged files, as your system hung and you forced it to shut down.

Go a thorough scandisk of the drive. It might recover the old installation.

Comment

thanks guys...
                I will backup my data first...

I tried to boot to my old OS... w/ (enable boot logging)
                when i came back to the new OS, it had the microsoft crash recovery screen with a path to the XML file.. i submitted the "error report" and it sent me to the following link
                http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response...cd4135&SID=708

so, i will backup the data and try your suggestions then....

that was such a customized XP with all kinds of utilities... good thing my profile is on network.. I still want that OS back..... i will post my findings later today.. Thanks soo much for the help... i am hopeful..

one question... microsoft crash analysis say that my HD is bad... if that is true then how come this OS loads up fine? in any case, once is get my old OS, i will ghost it and replace the HD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Genius
                  once i get my old OS, i will ghost it and replace the HD.
                  Thats probably a good idea. I have two 40 gb HDs (C & D) and one 300 gb hard drive (E)

I have a scheduled batch file that runs everynight and copies everything that has changed in data folders on C and D to E.

My XP SP2 OS is on C. I have a scheduled ghost program that ghost my OS to E drive every night.

In addition, I run diskkeeper's defrag every night on a scheduled basis.
                  I hate using dual boots and there is no need for them anymore. I have dozens of virtual machines with all kinds of OSs (including win98, win2k with multiple iterations, more xp environments, linux) that I run off of my primary XP OS.

Comment

You know in your earlier post about get the stuff out of right click when you got rid of that stuff it mit might have changed your registery and creating problems there.

Comment

hmmmm
                      interesting notion...

i m doubting the "impatient shutdown"

Comment

try replacing the registery files in the old one to see if it works

Comment

Originally posted by Mansoor614
                          try replacing the registery files in the old one to see if it works
                          Hold it!! DO NOT replace your registry files with anything unless you have exhausted all the other methods. If you have a previous backup of your registry files and you replace your new ones with them, your system customizations and settings will revert back to the time of the registry backup. In worst case, you will never be able to recover anything from that profile.

The best thing would have been to boot with your original XP CD and try to install in the same directory as your original Windows XP. If there is a previous faulty installation, the setup program usually fixes that and asks you to reboot. Do not go ahead with the installation itself. After the rebooting, the system recovers itself. You can also try fixing your Master Boot Record (MBR) through the setup program.

I do a lot of experimenting with Windows XP/2000 setup and have caused numerous boot failures. However, I am always able to recover, one way or the other. Windows XP/2000 are pretty robust in that regards. Try and you will succeed.

Comment

^^ I second to not replace registry!

In addition if you had XP XP2 then slipstream the XP CD with SP2 before trying all of the above as there may be version conflicts.
                            An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

Originally posted by TofiBaba
                              ^^ I second to not replace registry!

In addition if you had XP XP2 then slipstream the XP CD with SP2 before trying all of the above as there may be version conflicts.
                              TofiBaba, the solution I mentioned is not going to cause any version conflicts, because it fixes boot files and environment only, which are version independent.

Comment

Working...
                              X