X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Pakistan only country to have digital library’

Pakistan only country to have digital library

Staff Report

KARACHI: Higher Education Commission chief Dr Attaur Rehman said on Sunday Pakistan was the only country where a digital library consisting of 17,000 science journals had been established.

We are living in the era of economic wars and we have made education a mockery since the inception of Pakistan, said Dr Rehman after laying the foundation stone of the Jamiat Delhi Siddiqui Community Cooperative Housing Society Ltd in Gulshan-e-Maimar. He said it was a matter of pride for Pakistan that it was the only country in the world in which a state-of-the-art digital library had been established. This library has proved to be an effective source of reference and information for both researchers and students.

http://dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp...-3-2005_pg7_45

Ma'sha'allah, what an achievment but is the ordinary Pakistani able to benefit from this considering there's hardly any electricity in the country?

Re: Pakistan only country to have digital library

ermmm... how is this a unique project?? the article fails to give details about what it is about the digital library program that makes it one of a kind.
    For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

It has 17,000 Science Journals on it... click on the link for full details.

Comment

I read that... but howz it different from libraries in the West which have as many if not more subscriptions to a multitude of natural science, and social science e-resources
        For reason, ruling alone, is a force confining - and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction - Khalil Gibran

Comment

i think i have about that many ebooks on my local hard drive. Does that count?
          An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

^

Well, do you use any particular tools for indexing and searching your local HD ebooks?

Comment

and i read the same article in spider .... [paskitan's internet magazine walla magazine]

Comment

only country with a digital library? THAT MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL - what's this guy smoking?

17000 journal? big deall - iPod holds more

Comment

^ haha Atlantis dude... Playboy aint considered a journal

but yeah there's obviously a finer point that we're missing here or this article is flawed... a subscription to 17000 journals is a good thing but still tons of libraries around the world have access to more than that - so I wanna know what this is all about.

Comment

Re: ^

Originally posted by sharjeel
                    Well, do you use any particular tools for indexing and searching your local HD ebooks?
                    Yeah, "dir"

Comment

^ jaa yaar Tofi - I expected somefin like "ls -laRF"

Comment

KISS - Keep it simple silly

Comment

silly nahi stupid
                          dir's too bland :yukhthu: - khair, thread's gettin derailed.

Comment

Originally posted by Umar Talib
                            ^ haha Atlantis dude... Playboy aint considered a journal

but yeah there's obviously a finer point that we're missing here or this article is flawed... a subscription to 17000 journals is a good thing but still tons of libraries around the world have access to more than that - so I wanna know what this is all about.
                            yup - this is my theory - the dude put the "only" in the wrong place...like

he meant: "proud to have the country's only digital library..."
                            he said : "proud to have the only country with digital library..."

must have been educated in crawford, tx

Comment

Originally posted by Umar Talib
                              silly nahi stupid
                              dir's too bland :yukhthu: - khair, thread's gettin derailed.
                              I was trying to be polite.
                              Now I'll be transferring stuff to Mac so I can use Spotlight, which comes with Tiger (Mac OS 10.4). Kinda like the same technology as Google Desktop, but much more secure. I have to get an external firewire enclosure and put in a 200gb drive for all the docs.

Comment

Working...
                              X