Big Social Media Following In Footstep of Big Mainstream Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Social Media Following In Footstep of Big Mainstream Media

There is an interview between Noam Chomsky and BBC’s Andrew Marr, in which Chomsky derided the false image mainstream journalists have of themselves as “a crusading profession, adversarial, we stand up against power,” saying it’s almost impossible for a good journalist to do so in any meaningful way in the mass media.

“How can you know that I’m self-censoring? How can you know that journalists are-” Marr objected.

“I’m not saying you’re self-censoring,” Chomsky replied. “I’m sure you believe everything you’re saying. But what I’m saying is that if you believed something different, you wouldn’t be sitting where you’re sitting.”

I think Chomsky said it so succinctly that I myself could have never. Now though it seems, the big social media platforms have come up with their own convoluted tactics to silence dissent. I can now see at least some truth in what Donald Trump has been saying all along.

A few weeks back I came across the news of Instagram deleting a post of Bella Hadid in which she was talking about being a proud Palestinian.

Today, I saw the news of YouTube deleting a musical tribute by Hadiqa Kiayani (about 1931 Kashmir Martyr’s Day) and Turkish singer Ali Tolga (about Failed 2016 Turkish Coup). Hadiqa and Ali had collaborated to produce the tribute.

I think this wave will only accelerate and masses wouldn’t even know about it as there are simply no viable alternatives to these big platforms and mainstream media keep mum on such things anyway.

Your thoughts?

Its actually like social media Giants supporting the worldly giants.

And not only SM, the other day I realized its even Google. How? When I was copying a translated post from twitter.

Read my post here in this thread, its the 13th post here:

https://gupshup.org/forum/hangout/gu...y-well-does-it

Google smartly cutoff the part of indians and Modi from the translation. Everything else stayed the same, And thats done automatically so looks like their code has keywords which are skipped
    Attitude is more important than facts.
    "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
      There is an interview between Noam Chomsky and BBC’s Andrew Marr, in which Chomsky derided the false image mainstream journalists have of themselves as “a crusading profession, adversarial, we stand up against power,” saying it’s almost impossible for a good journalist to do so in any meaningful way in the mass media.

“How can you know that I’m self-censoring? How can you know that journalists are-” Marr objected.

“I’m not saying you’re self-censoring,” Chomsky replied. “I’m sure you believe everything you’re saying. But what I’m saying is that if you believed something different, you wouldn’t be sitting where you’re sitting.”

I think Chomsky said it so succinctly that I myself could have never. Now though it seems, the big social media platforms have come up with their own convoluted tactics to silence dissent. I can now see at least some truth in what Donald Trump has been saying all along.

A few weeks back I came across the news of Instagram deleting a post of Bella Hadid in which she was talking about being a proud Palestinian.

Today, I saw the news of YouTube deleting a musical tribute by Hadiqa Kiayani (about 1931 Kashmir Martyr’s Day) and Turkish singer Ali Tolga (about Failed 2016 Turkish Coup). Hadiqa and Ali had collaborated to produce the tribute.

I think this wave will only accelerate and masses wouldn’t even know about it as there are simply no viable alternatives to these big platforms and mainstream media keep mum on such things anyway.

Your thoughts?
      https://www.nationalobserver.com/202...nts-are-coming

Here are Noam Chomsky’s views in detail.
      Why isn't the Dividend story among the featured threads?

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
        Its actually like social media Giants supporting the worldly giants.

And not only SM, the other day I realized its even Google. How? When I was copying a translated post from twitter.

Read my post here in this thread, its the 13th post here:

https://gupshup.org/forum/hangout/gu...y-well-does-it

Google smartly cutoff the part of indians and Modi from the translation. Everything else stayed the same, And thats done automatically so looks like their code has keywords which are skipped
        The Google Translate's skipping of those words is very telling indeed. Since Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc. have invested nearly $40 Billion in India recently so that could be due to some sort of implicit understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post

https://www.nationalobserver.com/202...nts-are-coming

Here are Noam Chomsky’s views in detail.
          That article is a great example of twisting a narrative. The author has put the hour long interview video to feign honesty, but wrote only about the part he found aligning with his agenda.

Noam Chomsky was speaking about tactics of the elites. First he talks against neo-liberalism, then fascists, then Nazis, then Trump, then other US & European elites, then El Sisi’s dictatorship that Obama administration helped to brutally crush fledgling democracy in Egypt, then NATO backed Gulf dictatorships, then Israel, then India’s Modi destroying democracy using Hindu nationalism, then Kashmir, etc. I don’t think it was just about Trump.

Comment

That article is a great example of twisting a narrative. The author has put the hour long interview video to feign honesty, but wrote only about the part he found aligning with his agenda.

Noam Chomsky was speaking about tactics of the elites. First he talks against neo-liberalism, then fascists, then Nazis, then Trump, then other US & European elites, then El Sisi’s dictatorship that Obama administration helped to brutally crush fledgling democracy in Egypt, then NATO backed Gulf dictatorships, then Israel, then India’s Modi destroying democracy using Hindu nationalism, then Kashmir, etc. I don’t think it was just about Trump.
            I read the entire article. The article states exactly what you wrote here. I don’t understand what you mean by twisting the narrative. I did t watch any video just read the article. Noam Chomsky has taken all right wingers to task. Your OP somehow uses Chomsky and links that with Trumps allegation of fake news. To me, that made no sense. There is indeed fake news. But it is coming from the White House every day.

Comment

I read the entire article. The article states exactly what you wrote here. I don’t understand what you mean by twisting the narrative. I did t watch any video just read the article. Noam Chomsky has taken all right wingers to task. Your OP somehow uses Chomsky and links that with Trumps allegation of fake news. To me, that made no sense. There is indeed fake news. But it is coming from the White House every day.
              Let me explain. The context is the ruling elite that has created a system stacked against the masses. The author makes it look as if Noam Chomsky talked only about Trump. Whereas in the video he only talks about Trump for 2 minutes. This was done by puting the headline as well as the first five paragraphs only about Trump. 80% of the readers would be done by then. Market research studies tell us that only 20% of readers read an online article in full. Even those 20% will not find the word, “Israel”, “Hindu nationalism”, “Kashmir”, “El Sisi”.

As far as linking the specific words of Noam Chomskey that I quoted in OP and what Trump says about fake news is quite clear.

Comment

Let me explain. The context is the ruling elite that has created a system stacked against the masses. The author makes it look as if Noam Chomsky talked only about Trump. Whereas in the video he only talks about Trump for 2 minutes. This was done by puting the headline as well as the first five paragraphs only about Trump. 80% of the readers would be done by then. Market research studies tell us that only 20% of readers read an online article in full. Even those 20% will not find the word, “Israel”, “Hindu nationalism”, “Kashmir”, “El Sisi”.

As far as linking the specific words of Noam Chomskey that I quoted in OP and what Trump says about fake news is quite clear.
                Are you talking about your OP or the link I provides? That is the confusing part.

Comment

Are you talking about your OP or the link I provides? That is the confusing part.

Your link

Comment

Twitter has now labelled RT as “state-affiliated” media. Unsurprisingly BBC, NPR and VOA have remained exempt from such labeling. Twitter has come up with a convoluted reasoning but this is sheer hypocrisy.

Comment

Working...
                    X