Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions

A few days back I was trying to estimate the number of problems/issues that had been resolved at GUPSHUP tech centre. I wanted an estimate on how many problems were resolved and if this section is really useful in sorting out issues. For this reason, I thought it would be a good idea to add the word [resolved] in the subject to indicate that the issues in a thread have been resolved. In this way we'll be able to benchmark the succes of this tech centre. I've seen this on other boards so I thought it would be a good idea to implement something of this sort here as well. Another advantage I see is that the techs in the section won't have to revisit a thread if it has been resolved.

So what do you guys think of such a practice? Do you think its too much for the mods or if it is even going to be successful?

Another idea that I would like to be implemented is a 'Summary' thread. This thread will have a comment and a link to other useful topics in this forum. Like if someone is looking for ways to connect two PCs together to connect to the internet then we can post this a link to this thread, along with a comment, in the 'summary'. Similarly links to other useful threads can be posted in the 'summary' ... this will reduce the time spent on searching for a topic.

What say?

[EDIT] I think 'Index' is a better word as opposed to 'summary'
    Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Good Idea

There should be someone monitoring the threads in that case.

Comment

That's nice ... atleast I've got one vote ...

amm ... maybe the mods can help monitor the threads because they are doing that in any case, nahee? Also, members can suggest to make their life easier ... I'm in for it ... oour koun hai ... *gets ready to count
      Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

1) this is not a tech support forum....
        2) how do u know that the problem has really been solved or not????
        3) not all threads here really r meant for asking tech support, most of them r just discussions....
        Both Halal & Haram r evident but between them r doubtful things, most ppl have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from suspicious things saves his religion & honor, & whoever indulges in suspicious things indulges in Haram.

Comment

Originally posted by armughal:
          1) this is not a tech support forum....
          2) how do u know that the problem has really been solved or not????
          3) not all threads here really r meant for asking tech support, most of them r just discussions....
          1) Well, I believe 70-80% threads here are usually support questions posted by users and hence I posted this suggestion.
          2) Ammm ... the user usually posts back saying that his/her problem has been resolved or he/she has found a workaround. In case where users don't declare a resolution, they are and were always encouraged to do so. Atleast I've been requesting users to report back if they've had any success
          3) hehehe ... you just acknowledged the fact that people look for support even though it isn't a support forum. In anycase, If a user is posting a news article then it is usually enclosed in square brackets i.e. [NEWS]. If this is made standard practice then the forum would look more organised. And like I said, only a support thread may be marked as resolved, not all of 'em need to be marked or tagged.

Guys, these are my sincere suggestions, which I think would lead to further improvement of the forum. Feel free to post any comment that you think may lead to a more organized posting/retrieval method.

Comment

good suggetions nos
            i believe that this forum has a lot of potential and can be developed accordingly. currently its serving for the most part as tech support. g3nu1n3 had quite a few suggestions along the same lines which he posted in feedback
            I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Comment

^ yeh I miss that bugger ... the forums kinna quiet without him ... hehe ... do you have his contact details by any chance?

And I'm sorry I've never been to the feedback forum so I don't know what he had suggested earlier. But I liked the way he used the square brackets for categorization i.e. [NEWS] [TUTORIAL] etc and hence the suggestion ...

*sigh !

so, now what ? Is the administration going to look into it ... how does it work here?

Comment

yup i'd say this is a gud idea !
                quite a few queries comes up here (even though I've only recently been active in GS) and ppl here are generally very helpfully.... so why not give it a go.
                It would b useful for a member to chk whether a similar query (to theirs) has been resolved here b4!

besides, all top techi forums do it !

CW
                snug as a bug in a rug !

Comment

nos, he had posted it here as well as in Feedback. The feedback thread you wont be able to view anymore but the one in this forum is still here:

http://www.gupistan.com/forums/showt...66#post2570362

yup i have his contact email. ill PM it to you, maybe you can also convince him to come back here :>

Link fixed
                  I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Comment

^^ yara links not workin ....

Comment

good idea nos
                      Quwwat-e-Mazhab say mustehkam hay jami'yat teri

Comment

Or we can make like experts-exchange.com and reward people to solve issues.

How about we have different sections to this place (I'm getting a de-ja-vous-ish feeling about this) and have one just for problems/issues.

Originally posted by nos:

1) Well, I believe 70-80% threads here are usually support questions posted by users and hence I posted this suggestion.
                        2) Ammm ... the user usually posts back saying that his/her problem has been resolved or he/she has found a workaround. In case where users don't declare a resolution, they are and were always encouraged to do so. Atleast I've been requesting users to report back if they've had any success
                        3) hehehe ... you just acknowledged the fact that people look for support even though it isn't a support forum. In anycase, If a user is posting a news article then it is usually enclosed in square brackets i.e. [NEWS]. If this is made standard practice then the forum would look more organised. And like I said, only a support thread may be marked as resolved, not all of 'em need to be marked or tagged.

Guys, these are my sincere suggestions, which I think would lead to further improvement of the forum. Feel free to post any comment that you think may lead to a more organized posting/retrieval method.

An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

^ Yes, I like the experts-exchange thing, its quite pleasing in my opinion. But it requires some serious modifitions I say. Pata nahee yaar ... lets see what the admin says. Abhee tak tou koiee khaber nahee un key taraf say ...

Comment

See that way people would compete for export points (as opposed to their # of posts). I happened to have passed by the Gupshup and General sections and was appalled by the way people post. Anyhow, I guess I shouldn't judge.
                            An Android a day keeps the Apple away!

Comment

Excellent Idea

Implementation

Comment

Working...
                              X