Bad Sectors on hdd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Sectors on hdd?

My hdd makes this weird sqeaking noise every once in a while. I called up Toshiba and was told to run defrag as it should be able to tell if there are any bad sectors or not.

It didn't indicate a thing about bad sectors. I can't seem to find 'Scan Disk' anymore in 'System Tools'.

I was wondering if there's any other program that I can run to check if there's something going wrong with my hard drive.

Also, can I please be recommended (and explained) a good backup program just in case I have give in my laptop to have the hdd changed.

http://www.belarc.com/harddrives.html check with this

for backup hd s there are several really good programmes
    I got one with Partition Magic included

http://www.symantec.com/index.htm
    There is no salvation for the soul, But to fall in Love.
    It has to creep and crawl, Among the Lovers first.

Imam Jallal-u-Din Rumi

Comment

My Computer -> Right click on C-Drive -> Properties -> Tools -> Check Now -> Check both options and check for errors. You might need to do this for every partition, if you have more than one.

Now would be a good time to make a full backup too. If its under warranty, they will replace it even if there is single bad sector.

Comment

If you have norton utlities, there a tool for HDD scan included in it.

Comment

dutch_paki, following is (part of) what I got when I run the diagnostics:

Drives
          40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
          15.59 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2412 [CD-ROM drive]

TOSHIBA MK4021GAS [Hard drive] (40.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n Y3AI1992T, rev GA224G, SMART Status: Healthy

Spock & Gizzy, I ran the 'Scan Disk', but it reboots first and then runs the scan right after booting up. Therefore, it doesn't give me enough time to see the results.

Comment

Start -> Run -> type ntbackup

This is a built-in utility for creating backups .... make sure you create a 'Full' backup of all your system settings or just select the desired documents etc ... Once the full backup is created you can create incremental backups every no and then just to make sure you don't loose vital information.
            Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

nos, didn't work. I got the usual error that one gets when you type something wrong in the Run Command window.

If it's of any help, I'm running Windows XP (Home edition) along with Msft SP2.

Comment

hmm ... I'm not sure if this option is available in XP home ... it should be ...

Khair, navigate to the same window as Spock suggested: My Computer -> Right click on C-Drive -> Properties -> Tools -> 'Backup Now'. This should open the same backup utility that I suggested. If this option is not there .. then it means that XP Home does not have this feature ... but you can always use a third party software to create backups. Google for free software or maybe a guppy can help.

[EDIT]This one seems promising, here
                Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

Ghost an Image of your hdd and put then image on the new drive..........saves alot of time and you don't lose anything.

Comment

^^ its a good idea to create an image of a fresh installation. If you create an image of an old installation then you are most likely to copy the any viruses/spyware/backdoors etc along with it. So make sure your PC is clean before you create an image.

Comment

1. Is it easy to use the built-in backup software? I'll be backing it up on a CD-R.

2. Any other good programs or tools that I can use to analyze whether or not there are any bad secors on my harddrive? Scandisk runs right when it's booting up, it goes so fast that I can't see the end results.

nos, Alhamdulillah pc is clean.

kingshah, wouldn't 'ghosting' an image require installing some software.

To be very honest, I've got no clue as to how the backup works. I may have made a backup once or twice a few years ago, but I never used it.

Comment

Check disk's a good way to analyse how many bad sectors you got. Use "chkdsk f: /f /r" in command prompt, change the drive letter if you av to.

Ghost is not a huge software, around 500K. YOu can download it from Symantec's website.

Comment

kingshah, thanks!

I got the following results:

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
                          master file table (MFT) bitmap.
                          CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
                          Windows found problems with the file system.
                          Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

39070048 KB total disk space.
                          23674092 KB in 65945 files.
                          22584 KB in 4325 indexes.
                          0 KB in bad sectors.
                          146036 KB in use by the system.
                          65536 KB occupied by the log file.
                          15227336 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
                          9767512 total allocation units on disk.
                          3806834 allocation units available on disk.

So I'm assuming since it says 0 bad sectors, all is good, insha'Allah?

I don't wanna purchase Norton Ghost. Are there are any downloads and cracks available?

Comment

This should help.

Comment

^^ WOops ... ... you might wanna remove that link .... or the mods will

Comment

Working...
                              X