[News:] Linux servers at risk from trifecta of flaws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[News:] Linux servers at risk from trifecta of flaws

Three separate security flaws could be used by an ordinary user to gain total control of a Linux server or workstation, security researchers have warned.

Two of the vulnerabilities lie in the way the Linux kernel--the core of the open-source operating system--manages memory. They affect all current versions of Linux, according to advisories released on Wednesday by iSEC Security Research, a Polish security company. The third flaw affects the module for the kernel that supports ATI Technologies' Rage 128-bit video card.

Because Linux is frequently used on shared servers, security holes that allow a user to expand their access rights on a computer are serious, said Alfred Huger, the senior director of engineering for security software company Symantec. However, they are not as critical as flaws that allow an outsider to compromise the computer, he said.

Source: Link

and the point is ? .... yaar if I start posting similar news on MS flaws then the mods here will kick me out assuming that I'm flooding the forum .... khair .... the vulnerability is local I think *scratches his head ... so not much to fear I'd say

*heads back to the news to read the article thoroughly.
    Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

nos the person is making you uptodate
      you are right by posting MS flaws, mods will certainly kick ...

Comment

Originally posted by nos:
        and the point is ? .... yaar if I start posting similar news on MS flaws then the mods here will kick me out assuming that I'm flooding the forum .... khair .... the vulnerability is local I think *scratches his head ... so not much to fear I'd say

*heads back to the news to read the article thoroughly.
        News is news ... no matter what your personal opinion is , that doesnt matter.

About the matter of kicking ... there are too many worthless posts here at gupshup that truly needs to be kicked. u may be a linux fanatic but learn to live with facts dear.

Comment

Oo pai ... muth rakh yara. Na muu lag <_< ....

Originally posted by g3nu1n3:
          ... there are too many worthless posts here at gupshup that truly needs to be kicked.
          then again, its your personal opinion and doesn't matter to the rest of the people here.

About learning to live with facts, then you should wake up I guess. Its MS that comes up with patches every now and then and not linux
          Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

Originally posted by nos:
            Oo pai ... muth rakh yara. Na muu lag <_< ....
            Now uve really hit the bottom buddy

and whould u care to read this article ....

Linux draws more attacks than Windows (Source: CNet)

Summary:

An analysis of hacker attacks on online servers in January by U.K.-based security consultancy mi2g found that Linux servers were most frequently hit, accounting for 13,654 successful attacks, or 80 percent of the survey total. Windows came in a distant second with 2,005 attacks. ....

Moreover ....

linux at least has as equal amount of holes compared to windows maybe even more . they only do not make headlines that quick:

http://www.net-security.org/advi_main.php
            http://secunia.com/historic_advisories/1/

READ THE DATES BUDDY

I didnt made those websites ... so there r ur FACTS

Comment

If u read the last four paragraphs of that CNET Article about Linux u will know that is not Linux security but more like human error.

Problem right now is that everyone is trying to install Linux without having proper knowledge. OS itself is very secure provided how u install & run it. I mean if someone hacks & gets root on the box through WU-FTP on Linux is not fault of Linux but application vulnerability. Selection of services & their vulnerabilities are important too.

In my previous posts I have been constantly saying that if you want to run a Server on intel install BSD.

Comment

And what about the advisories here at ...

http://www.net-security.org/advi_main.php
                http://secunia.com/historic_advisories/1/

they r loop holes not due to improper app/service selection but genuine os problems, which every OS has ... linux just happens to get far less attention than any other OS

Comment

Again, these are about applications. Also with time the new vulnerabilities are found nothing is perfect & it is always healthy to have security advisor. This is how things progress.

But u will hardly hear that an email caused millions of Linux or Unix based machines to crash. Though if u send a DOS attack to Linux it does crash. I am not saying Unix based machines are imune to everything, no they are not but they are more stable.

Purpose of other people arguing with you is that you potray Microsoft OS as the best OS & try to prove that Linux is somewhat not that good.

There is no point arguing about that, everone who is technically reasonable enough to know what platform is good where.

Microsoft is good for workstation & Linux is good for Server. For the purpose of LAN MS servers may be good but for WAN no they still need to improve.

Lets not talk about vulnerabilities here because only stupid people who run server farms & dont put firewalls. So even if there are vulnerabilities in some machines(Linux or MS) they are still behind the firewalls.

The best known firewalls FW1 are actually run on BSD, a unix based OS. Microsoft based OS are not even near capable to handling the load & traffic what a Unix based OS can.

Comment

Working...
                  X