Windows 2000 and Windows NT source code leaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 2000 and Windows NT source code leaked

PeterHammer writes "Neowin.net is reporting that Windows 2000 and Windows NT source code has been leaked to the internet. More on this as we hear it

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/02/1...id=109&tid=187

Black day for Microsoft
    There is no more pleasant food for the soul than the knowledge of truth. - Lactantius

Means now we will see Chindows or Khirkiyaan or something like that OS soon in the market.

Apart from Jokes I dont think its a good news for MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Najim:
      Means now we will see Chindows or Khirkiyaan or something like that OS soon in the market.
      According to this ( http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5158496.html ) ...

The 203MB file contains code from Microsoft's enterprise operating system, but the code was clearly incomplete ...
      The entire source code, he said, is believed to be about 40GB, meaning that the file circulating Thursday is only a fraction of the full code base.

But as Najim said still a very bad news for MS

Comment

Indeed its a fraction of codes, but can tell vulnerability and company’s work structure and policies of the system to rival and hackers, moreover if some thing people find fishy in those codes must be embarrassing for code owners! iff...
        Gari aur bivi aisi honi chahyay kay banda saath khara ho to apni lagay

Ya Allah Bhagwaan ko bhi Muslim bana day ...

Comment

Windoze OS has had more vulnerabilities than any of the Unix OS historically. The worms and virii and trojans etc that have caused havoc have been written to affect the Winblows OS (Which should be more than enough reasons for ppl to switch to open source Unix OS like Linux or FreeBSD). And all this even before the leak in the code. This leak is more of an embarassment to MS than anything else.
          I am only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Comment

no one yet knows whether full code was leaked or part of it. I read more than 31,000 files were leaked.

Comment

News Update:
              =========

BetaNews has learned that Thursday's leak of the Windows 2000 source code originated not from Microsoft, but from long-time Redmond partner Mainsoft. The leaked code includes 30,915 files and was apparently removed from a Linux computer used by Mainsoft for development purposes. Dated July 25, 2000, the source code represents Windows 2000 Service Pack 1. Analysis indicates files within the leaked archive are only a subset of the Windows source code, which was licensed to Mainsoft for use in the company's MainWin product. MainWin utilizes the source to create native Unix versions of Windows applications.

Mainsoft says it has incorporated millions of lines of untouched Windows code into MainWin. Clues to the source code's origin lie in a "core dump" file, which is left by the Linux operating system to record the memory a program is using when it crashes. Further investigation by BetaNews revealed the machine was likely used by Mainsoft's Director of Technology, Eyal Alaluf. References to MainWin can also be found throughout the leaked source files, which do not compile into a usable form of Windows. Prior to Microsoft's Shared Source Initiative launched in 2001, Mainsoft, which calls itself "the software porting company," was one of only two partners with access to the Windows source code under Microsoft's Windows Interface Source Environment (WISE) program.

SOURCE: http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1526831,00.asp

I'll summarize a few more bits about this:

- Mainsoft.com is likely to be responsible for this leak.
              - The FTP server circle.mainsoft.com looks suspectible, as it is/was running an exploitable WUFTP daemon. It was running on Linux too.
              - The computer containing these files is also likely to have been infected by the Nimda virus.

See more here:

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=96614&cid=8265305

Comment

Even if SP1 based files are released means people who are using Win2K Server with SP1 should be careful. Becuase if hackers get hold of those files they will definately try to exploit any vulnerability of SP1 of Win2K.

Linux infected by Nimda virus? Does it make any sense??? I dont think so. Virus Definition of Nimda can be found HERE.

Never ever use WU-FTPd, best is to use proFTPD & if not then at least use ncftpd. I always suggesting using proFTPD with LDAP Modules & create FTP users through LDAP instead of creating system users for FTP purpose. It means system really secure because if somone has ftp account on FTP he doesn't have a system login so no matter how he tries to hack in he cant (unless System Admin doesn't block the root login for FTP purpose & that is blocked by default).

Comment

Originally posted by Najim:
                  Linux infected by Nimda virus? Does it make any sense??? I dont think so. Virus Definition of Nimda can be found HERE.
                  It is believed that the Mainsoft server had a Windows / Linux dual boot on it, Windows getting infected, passwords to FTP retrieved by hackers...

Comment

Working...
                  X