wanna buy LCD but which one ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wanna buy LCD but which one ?

I want to buy a 17 inch LCD monitor, which ones do you think are good? Please specify models numbers, if you know any

Thinking of buying Samsung or ViewSonic. What do you think ?
    Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Just a few questions ...

What's the difference between TFT and LCD?

Also, the difference between Active Matrix and Passive Matrix?

{Answer} Active Matrix screens are also referred to as TFT's and Passive Matrix screens are also referred to as Passive Matrix screens.
    Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

Originally posted by nos:
      Just a few questions ...

What's the difference between TFT and LCD?

Also, the difference between Active Matrix and Passive Matrix?
      are you gonna use it for gaming/videos? if yes, don't get anything with a response time of less than 15ms.

i've purchased a vx900, and a vx800 (viewsonic 19" and 18"), for general office use, and i've been very happy. no dead pixels, nice bright colours. the response time for these two was 25ms, which is ok, since its not for gaming/video playback..

Comment

I am interested in buying Samsung 172T. It has got good reviews. The response rate for this monitor is 25ms, 170/170 degree view angle and 500:1 contrast ratio .... what's this contrast ratio thing about ?
        I wanna buy it for home use ... to showcase in pakistan ... basically for my sisters and dad. I don't think they will be playing hardcore games and stuff so it should be fine :blink: :blink:

[Edit] How do it find out dead pixels in my monitor?

Reviews read @ www.epinions.com

Comment

you have to turn the lcd on .. and look at it.. select a white background (full screen), and look for black spots i guess...

usually, manufacturers have their own policies.. some replace a monitor if there are more than 10 dead pixels, some do it if you have more than 5 etc ...

Comment

Ooo ... like that ... that's new to me. Jazakallah !
            By the way, I did a little research on these LCD monitors and learned alot. The different features that one should look into are:

Max Resolution,
            Dot pitch - basically what defines the sharpness of the image. usually around .26mm,
            Panel response time, which is measured in ms, must be around 16 - 25. The lesser the better (till now I could find only BENQ with 16 ms response time),
            Signal Input - Analog or Digital. DVI (Digital Visual Interface) results in better image quality,
            View Angle,
            Contrast ratio - samsung has a contrast ratio of 500:1. They have the best TFT's.
            Bandwidth - measured in MHz and must be over 130

I hope this info helps in making a better decision when buying an LCD screen. Not for long .. as technology changes real fast ... maybe not for TFT monitor at the moment.

Comment

also make sure your video card has DVI output ..

Comment

And if you are not sure about how a DVI connector looks like then this image should help:

[thumb=E]dvi14269_8329869.JPG[/thumb]

taken from: http://www.karbosguide.com/images/_780.jpg

Comment

Finally bought one for my self .... its a LG 1715S ... its got 16ms response time :love: and is rocking at the moment. I simply love my desk now ... there is so much of free space that I can use

LG 1715S

Comment

Working...
                  X