A: Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A: Drive

My A Drive won't work. I am guessing it never did. I didn't have a chance to use it until a few weeks ago, although I've had my laptop for a few months now. When I try to open a disk, it says the disk in drive A is not formatted, do you want to format it now or something of that sort. Then it gives me some more crap that the disk can not be formatted etc., when I click yes.

How should I go about fixing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get few floppies & try them.

Do you hear any kind of noise when u try to format the floppy? Is it an external floppy or builtin the laptop?

Comment

"disk in drive A is not formatted, do you want to format" I have seen this message when accessing floppy fomatted in one window version and accessed in other window version.
      win2k format accessed in win98

Comment

The problem here is with the Floppy itself and not with the drive, I think. When it says the floppy is not formatted and after formatting it gives bullsh!t about bad sectors then it means that the floppy is 'gone case'

"Hope it helps" *in a mallu accent
        Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

No guys, it's not the floppy. I have tried many and tried saving stuff on new ones too. It doesn't work, it just refuses to read the disk.

No Najim, there is no noise and it's a built-in floppy.

In case this helps, this is the message I get when I actually try to format a floppy, and it pops up that msg with every single disk I've tried, brand new ones too.. "Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again."

Comment

-do you have any other OS on you laptop?
            -tried on other OS?

Comment

hmm, I don't. It's just WinXP.

Comment

i think it's a software glitch and not a hardware one, since the OS is able to detect the disk formatting request to some extent, and then kills it. Search on google with the key words comprised of the 'error message' which you are getting, and explore if anyone else is having the same problem. You may have do some research, but you will come across some good resources, on other forums sites etc, am sure..

Comment

I just had some spare time and put the entire message in google and got this..

>>Why won't Explorer let me format a floppy?
                  If you've ever tried to format a floppy (or any drive for that matter) while in Explorer, you've undoubtedly seen the message "Windows cannot format this drive. Quit and disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again."

Select a different drive in Explorer with the left mouse button, and then right-click on the drive you wish to format, and then select Format from the context menu. This way, you won't be trying to format a floppy that's having its contents viewed at the same time.

Comment

ah Thanks Outy! I tried googling and was unable to find anything helpful. And I just tried to do what you told me and I get the exact same error msg. Plus, it's not even about formatting a floppy, I just want to be able to read one.

I am confused, how is the disk being viewed when it won't even open? It goes straight to the format option.. so then I don't understand how another program maybe using this drive?

Comment

it may be foolish question. but why not.
                      -does the floppy drive light glow when you access the A:\ drive.
                      +if yes then there may be other issues.
                      +if not then there may be some power issue in floppy drive.

Comment

Originally posted by fizion:
                        "disk in drive A is not formatted, do you want to format" I have seen this message when accessing floppy fomatted in one window version and accessed in other window version.
                        win2k format accessed in win98
                        fizion: u sure bout that?

floppies have their own filing system under all OS (fat 12 if i am not mistaken) so they should work in all regardless...

Comment

Originally posted by fizion:
                          it may be foolish question. but why not.
                          -does the floppy drive light glow when you access the A:\ drive.
                          +if yes then there may be other issues.
                          +if not then there may be some power issue in floppy drive.
                          a good starting point to troubleshoot

is the light for the floppy alwayz on by any chance, even when there's no disk in there?

do the disks actually contain somethin, i.e. have u tried to use 'em in another comp?

Comment

I have faced this problem earlier .... its as sick as Bill :biggthumb.

Type the following in Run (Click Start -> Run):

format A: /q /y

This will not prompt for any confirmation and will format the drive right away. Be warned!
                            I tried this on my system and it works fine. A dos window pops up and it says something like 'unmounting file system etc' and then formats the drive.

I hope this works
                            Say: "Not equal are evil and good, even though the abundance of evil may please you." So fear Allah much, O men of understanding, in order that you may be successful. (Qur'aan, 5:100)

Comment

No DM, the light's not always on, not without a disk in. And yes, the light glows when I insert a floppy, try to open/format it etc.
                              And yes the disks I have tried work on other computers.

nos, I tried that, I end up with the same cannot format error msg.

Anyways, I'm told it might be a hardware issue, so I am going to see if I can take it back to the store I bought it from and get this sorted.

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                              X