What to wear on my engagement :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to wear on my engagement :D

So after originally joining gupshup for my cousin's wedding a year ago, at which I met my boyfriend, we are now getting engaged in 6 weeks!

It is going to be in my very small flat, where his 30 relatives and about 15-20 guests of mine wil be invited. Problem is I don't know what to wear I don't wanna look too over the top because this is the first time I'll be meeting his cousins, and i want them to like me! Plus because of the number of people we'll probably be sitting on the floor to eat, disposable crockery and cutlery and that sort of thing.

I will be going shopping with my boyfriend and his family soon, but I don't know how "done up" the outfit and jewellery should be. There will be a lot of women and girls there and I don't want to fade into the background.
    I know how most of these people dress on Eid, but I get the feeling my boyfriend's family will get more dressed up than usual as it is the first engagement in their family. They usually on Eid wear a full set-big necklaces and earrings, and standard shalwar kameez covered in sequins, I don't really go for stuff covered in sequins. I've been going through all the engagement threads but I'm still not sure on what to do.

What do you guys think I should wear?

Re: What to wear on my engagement

Aww congrats! Most important of all, before you start, go with something you feel comfortable and bootiful in.

Okay, what colours are you looking at? And what styles do you want? Some people go for the full lengha shebang, but i think thats a bit OTT. Go for something classy and pretty. what styles do you think you want - anarkali, salwar kameez, lengha??
    It's all fun and smiles until you get bitten by a shark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Hatter View Post
      Aww congrats! Most important of all, before you start, go with something you feel comfortable and bootiful in.

Okay, what colours are you looking at? And what styles do you want? Some people go for the full lengha shebang, but i think thats a bit OTT. Go for something classy and pretty. what styles do you think you want - anarkali, salwar kameez, lengha??
      Best place to start!

Also what colours have you in mind?
      Life is too important to be taken seriously- Oscar Wilde

Comment

I would pick soft colors that suit you and go with an anarkali/peshwaaz/a-line shirt with a churidaar or maybe a wide pajama.

congrats!

Comment

Thanks
          I kinda feel that a lengha is OTT as well, plus if I sit on the floor to eat in a lengha it would be wierd, I wore a anarkali for my birthday and Eid, so I feel like I need something different, but I love the shapes of anarkalis. I don't like the whole wide pyjama thing anymore, but i like churidaars. I'm also thinking maybe a sari instead?

Unfortunately for me, my boyfriend has already picked out what he's wearing, it's a hot pink shirt with a black tie that graduates from hot pink to baby pink. I always wear alot of pink so I feel like I've done it too much, and I'm the type of person when hot or shy which I feel I'll be a lot of during the engagement, has a very obvious blush. Last time I wore baby pink it didn't really suit me I was told, well not as much as bright colours do. I've also never worn black so I'm even considering that.

Also hair and makeup wise, what would be your suggestions if going with certain types of clothes?

Comment

Oooh a sari would be nice and different. Or perhaps a dhaka pajama (kind of like a lengha, but its' really super-wide pants)?

Maybe wear something in lavendar or purple Or ferozi or a neutral gold or silver or something with hot pink accents/piping to match your fiance.
            Last edited by S02; Nov 21, 2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock Star Rani View Post
              Thanks
              I kinda feel that a lengha is OTT as well, plus if I sit on the floor to eat in a lengha it would be wierd, I wore a anarkali for my birthday and Eid, so I feel like I need something different, but I love the shapes of anarkalis. I don't like the whole wide pyjama thing anymore, but i like churidaars. I'm also thinking maybe a sari instead?

Unfortunately for me, my boyfriend has already picked out what he's wearing, it's a hot pink shirt with a black tie that graduates from hot pink to baby pink. I always wear alot of pink so I feel like I've done it too much, and I'm the type of person when hot or shy which I feel I'll be a lot of during the engagement, has a very obvious blush. Last time I wore baby pink it didn't really suit me I was told, well not as much as bright colours do. I've also never worn black so I'm even considering that.

Also hair and makeup wise, what would be your suggestions if going with certain types of clothes?
              I love sarees, but having to sit on the floor while wearing a saree is not the most comfortable attire, so unless you'll be seated on a sofa/chair, I'd avoid wearing a saree. The only caveat being, if you sit down and then are not expected to get up again and again, then it might be okay.

Sahar's idea of dhaka pajamas sounds like a great option.
              You can't buy happiness, but you can buy shoes and that's kinda the same thing...

Comment

I got engaged a month ago and i got my outfit made from a Manc boutique. It was a peachy long kameez which is open from the front and under it i had a shorter peach kameez with cigarette trousers (loves these)...the kameez has embroidery around the bottom and a bit around the collar, my in laws loved it.

Comment

since you're considering black and your boyfriend will be wearing pink, you could consider wearing a dark purple and magenta combo

Comment

Congrats supergirl

I think I'll definitely wear something with pink accents, I really like the lavender idea, and maybe even the peach idea? Or purple with black?

Oooo I'd never heard of dhaka pajamas before, they look a bit scary! I'd love to wear cigarette trousers, cos I've never worn them before, what else do they look good with? To be fair, I'm not exactly the type to sit around and eat with everyone, I've noticed recently that sometimes I just end up avoiding eating. i've noticed how elegant some really really plain saris look, they look very light and floaty but I can't think of what they're made of? And would they crease easily? I think I don't wanna wear an anarkali now that I'm thinking of it, I want something that actually fits closer to my body?

Any pictures of possibilities that wouldn't look OTT?

Comment

I really like the purple dress Vidya Balan wears in the song Mera Ishq Sufiana from the Dirty picture, so I do feel like wearing purple as well. Plus my engagement will be happening in the evening...

Comment

Methinks Vidya's dress may be a little too simple, and perhaps not very practical. Plus if you did try to get something like that, most retailers would rip you off!
                        Purple sounds good though, it's very elegant
                        It's all fun and smiles until you get bitten by a shark.

Comment

Do up the dhaka pajama! Those look gorgeous and very clean cut! Although you could opt for a straight long kameez and churidaar as well

I would suggest doing a soft pastel color for the mangni. I ended up wearing red, because that's what was sent to me from Pak -- it was gorgeous -- but way too bright for the engagement..

Comment

My cousin wore a sari for her mangni. It was made of a very soft fabric and she seemed comfortable in it. But she has worn saris a couple times before. If you go with a sari, go with one that is a soft silk or chiffon -- something that will be soft and flowy. And make sure you get someone whose good at it to pin it so you don't have to worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by supergirl85 View Post
                              I got engaged a month ago and i got my outfit made from a Manc boutique. It was a peachy long kameez which is open from the front and under it i had a shorter peach kameez with cigarette trousers (loves these)...the kameez has embroidery around the bottom and a bit around the collar, my in laws loved it.
                              sounds cute! and I love peach for mangnis (my mangni suit was also peach )

Comment

Working...
                              X