Crocodile Skin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crocodile Skin

By this I do mean skin that looks like this after a long day of wearing foundation.

Contrary to popular belief, my skin is far from perfect, infact it's been very problematic lately. After a long hard day at school, I get home after 10 pm and I find that my skin resembles that of a crocodiles. It looks flakey, the foundation has creased and it just looks horrible. Sometimes, this happens during the middle of the day which is what i'm trying to fix. I'm going to tell you my skincare and makeup regime and someone please tell me if i'm doing anything wrong, or if I can do anything in addition to stop my skin from looking like a reptiles.

1- I wash my face every morning when a gentle scrub (even though it's not recommended but I have abnormally oily skin and do not feel clean without doing so)
    2- I apply oil free moisturizer where needed, and then sometimes apply a thin layer of milk of magnesia to areas that get very oily (this is a trick to stay oil free for a very long time!)
    3-Finally, I apply a thin layer of liquid foundation and set that with MAC's studio fix powder.

That's it. I've heard layering too many products on your face (primer, strobe cream, bb cream etc. don't know even the purpose of these things) can make you oilier throughout the day so I refrain from using too many products. Is there a foundation primer that won't make me oily but help my foundation to last long? or am I doing something wrong with my makeup? Please help!

Re: Crocodile Skin

Are you trying to look for a primer that will help with the oiliness? *OR* are you asking how to deal with the dryness at the end of the day?

1) What is your "night" routine?

2) The scrub you're using in the morning may be too harsh. Sometimes if your skin is too dry as a result of "cleaning" it too harshly, the skin will product extra oil! I assume you use MU remover/clensar at night too (to remove all the MU). I know personally for my skin....using a scrub or cleansar 2x/day....everyday...would be too much.

This is what I do. At night is use some type of Glycolic product or Retin-A. On days when I feel my skin is a little dry, I'll skip those and apply Argan Oil (I buy mine from MUAC). Personally, I've found that I like the "performance" of the oil better than any lotion/moisturizer I've ever used. The skin soaks it up really nicely (you apply a thin layer).

When I wake up in the morning....the products from the night before generally totally soak into my face. I only splash my face with cold water.

Perhaps you could "experiment" by skipping the scrub in the morning for a few days just to see if that makes any difference. OR instead of a "scrub", switch to a super gentle cleansar like Cetaphil.

As for primer....I've used and have been very happy with MAC Prep&Prime SPF 50. MUAC's anti-shine primer is also a GREAT primer in my opinion (I use this at night since it doesn't have built in SPF).

Comment

That's the thing, I have very very oily skin so it's not dryness that i'm trying to combat. Even though my skin gets flakey, it's still very oily, and days I don't use my scrub it's oilier that's why I can't go a day without it. At night I use makeup removing wipes and a makeup removing cleanser from Lancome. I've always wanted to try a primer but the SPF in it scares me because I know it'll make me oilier! MUAC's anti shine primer sounds like a good product, where can I get it from? i've never heard of this brand before.

Comment

Originally posted by Marwah View Post
        That's the thing, I have very very oily skin so it's not dryness that i'm trying to combat. Even though my skin gets flakey, it's still very oily, and days I don't use my scrub it's oilier that's why I can't go a day without it. At night I use makeup removing wipes and a makeup removing cleanser from Lancome. I've always wanted to try a primer but the SPF in it scares me because I know it'll make me oilier! MUAC's anti shine primer sounds like a good product, where can I get it from? i've never heard of this brand before.
        OK....so you're looking for a primer (or something) that will help control the oiliness better.

Yes, sunscreen's have that problem. Drop by MAC and try to get a sample of the Prep&Prime SPF 50. I used to have a major issue with my skin being oily and acne. It finally stopped when I was in my late 20's. Now my skin is combination (oily t-zone, dry cheeks). On rare occassions, I'll get a tiny pimple. I've been using the Prep&Prime SPF 50 for several years now and love it. But it may not work for you. It doesn't hurt to get a sample and try. You can also read tons of reviews on it at makeupalley.com.

MUAC (Make-up Artists Choice) is a online only site that sells tons of great stuff. Their customer service is great and shipping is super fast (I usually get my stuff within 3-4 days). I've used their following products and have been very satisfied with them: Salicylic peel, Glycolic Peel, Lactic Peel, 15% Glycolic body lotion, Argan Oil, and Super matte anti-shine (this is my most recent purchase).

Look under discount/promotions. Right now they have free shipping and also a 15% discount code there. With the anti shine, they sell a "sample" size for $4. If you sign up for their e-mail, they also often send 20% or 25% codes. Look through their other items....You may find something else that may interest you. If you have any product specific questions, you can also call their number (again, their customer service is great).

Also, what foundation do you use? MAYBE consider getting samples of others and swtiching foundation? I used MAC Studio Fluid Fix for a few years (early/mid 20's). All of a sudden...it stopped "working" and would make my face oily/greasy/cakey. I went on a "hunt" for something new and currently am using MUFE HD Foundation & NARS Sheer Glow. And I use MAC Pressed Blot Powder to set it. Este Lauder Double Wear also gets rave reviews for a full coverage foundation but it has pink undertones and I wasn't able to find a "match".

Comment

Might i suggest rubbing an aunda on your face daily
          Remember God so much that you are forgotten.Let the caller and the called disappear;be lost in the Call.- Rumi

Comment

Originally posted by Paheli00 View Post
            OK....so you're looking for a primer (or something) that will help control the oiliness better.

Yes, sunscreen's have that problem. Drop by MAC and try to get a sample of the Prep&Prime SPF 50. I used to have a major issue with my skin being oily and acne. It finally stopped when I was in my late 20's. Now my skin is combination (oily t-zone, dry cheeks). On rare occassions, I'll get a tiny pimple. I've been using the Prep&Prime SPF 50 for several years now and love it. But it may not work for you. It doesn't hurt to get a sample and try. You can also read tons of reviews on it at makeupalley.com.

MUAC (Make-up Artists Choice) is a online only site that sells tons of great stuff. Their customer service is great and shipping is super fast (I usually get my stuff within 3-4 days). I've used their following products and have been very satisfied with them: Salicylic peel, Glycolic Peel, Lactic Peel, 15% Glycolic body lotion, Argan Oil, and Super matte anti-shine (this is my most recent purchase).

Look under discount/promotions. Right now they have free shipping and also a 15% discount code there. With the anti shine, they sell a "sample" size for $4. If you sign up for their e-mail, they also often send 20% or 25% codes. Look through their other items....You may find something else that may interest you. If you have any product specific questions, you can also call their number (again, their customer service is great).

Also, what foundation do you use? MAYBE consider getting samples of others and swtiching foundation? I used MAC Studio Fluid Fix for a few years (early/mid 20's). All of a sudden...it stopped "working" and would make my face oily/greasy/cakey. I went on a "hunt" for something new and currently am using MUFE HD Foundation & NARS Sheer Glow. And I use MAC Pressed Blot Powder to set it. Este Lauder Double Wear also gets rave reviews for a full coverage foundation but it has pink undertones and I wasn't able to find a "match".
            I'll try the prep and prime, i'm sure it'll help the makeup glide on well, just hope it doesn't make me oilier! I have heard a lot about it though, so it's definitely worth a try. Thing with me is, I don't just have an oily t-zone, my face is oily all over so i'm very particular about what I put on my face. The foundation I use is MAC's studio fix fluid, been using it for a while and it seems to work well for me. I guess the issue is how to get my foundation to last longer? primers are usually the solution so i'm definitely giving it a try, and i'm ordering the super matte anti shine right now! thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Originally posted by McPendo View Post
              Might i suggest rubbing an aunda on your face daily
              That's supposed to help with pore tightening, I don't know if it'll do anything to the makeup but thank you.

Comment

@Marwah My skin has tedency to have exact same issues that you mentioned. I've done quite extensive research on this skin type and have changed my skincare regime around and AH, it's been working great by far.

• First things first, you need to stop using a mechanical scrub. Use an exfoliator that chemically works on your epidermis and takes off dead skin cells without 1) irritating your skin and 2) over-stimulating your sebacious glands. Anything that has AHA such as glycolic acid and lactic acid and BHA - salicylic acid - can be used for this purpose. But use this AHA/BHA cleanser at night only. If, you really need to use a cleanser in the mornings, use the most gentle one you can find.
                • Use a witch hazel toner (I love the one by Dickinson and has rave reviews on makeupalley) before you slap on moisturizer.
                • I use Clarins' hydraquench as my moisturizer. It hydrates skin really well without leaving you looking like a paratha.

However, since I've incorporated Retinol in the night-time routine since a month, I've had to change things around a bit. Here is my night time routine these days: First, I use a cream based cleanser (I use one by Clarins that's shea butter in it and feels luxurious) that doesn't strip natural oils from your skin; if my skin feels particularly dry or I've used a water-resistant sunscreen, I'd throw in a few drops of tamanu oil (you can use any oil), massage it really well on face and then take it off with a cotton pad. Every other night or so, I use Dermalogica daily microfoliant, which has salicylic acid in it amongst other active ingredients, and that sort of takes care of any flakes and dry patches that I may have. Second, I go on with witchhazel toner. I use retinol every 3-4 nights, depending on how skin feels, and would put on retinol at this point followed by some thick moisturizer (I've been using Kiehl's rosa arctica cream) and call it a day.
                If it's a night when I am not going to use retinol, I'd take a few drops of either rosehip oil or, kiehl's midnight discovery which I got as a sample, and massage it well on face. It soaks in right away and then follow it by either clarins' or kiehls' moisturizer.

This routine, a long one it may sound like, has been working REALLY well for me since a few months AH. My skin was always finicky but it was rendered super-sensitive and reactive by those lame acne-products that I used in desperation. Ingesting antibiotics for acne, including Accutane, didn't help making it any better, either. You dont have to use the products I've listed but these are the ones that suited me the most. They may seem expensive at first but, then, I dont use makeup at all, so I save my $$$ there

Last, but not the least, point is that do not EVER skip sunscreen over. I use http://www.neutrogena.ca/en/getProdu...=156&display=0 most days and it works beautifully.

Originally posted by Marwah View Post
                By this I do mean skin that looks like this after a long day of wearing foundation.

Contrary to popular belief, my skin is far from perfect, infact it's been very problematic lately. After a long hard day at school, I get home after 10 pm and I find that my skin resembles that of a crocodiles. It looks flakey, the foundation has creased and it just looks horrible. Sometimes, this happens during the middle of the day which is what i'm trying to fix. I'm going to tell you my skincare and makeup regime and someone please tell me if i'm doing anything wrong, or if I can do anything in addition to stop my skin from looking like a reptiles.

1- I wash my face every morning when a gentle scrub (even though it's not recommended but I have abnormally oily skin and do not feel clean without doing so)
                2- I apply oil free moisturizer where needed, and then sometimes apply a thin layer of milk of magnesia to areas that get very oily (this is a trick to stay oil free for a very long time!)
                3-Finally, I apply a thin layer of liquid foundation and set that with MAC's studio fix powder.

That's it. I've heard layering too many products on your face (primer, strobe cream, bb cream etc. don't know even the purpose of these things) can make you oilier throughout the day so I refrain from using too many products. Is there a foundation primer that won't make me oily but help my foundation to last long? or am I doing something wrong with my makeup? Please help!
                So verily, with the hardship, there is relief. Verily, with the hardship, there is relief. (Surat Insyirah 5-6)

Comment

I think you need to change your powder, if it's not controlling your oil production at least in appearance, then it's not working, maybe change your foundation too, i heard a lot of good things on Rimmel lasting foundation and for powder, i personally use the Laura Mercier setting powder when i need to and it's amazing, i also tried Make up for ever Duo Mat foundation and it was good (it's a pressed powder).

it's not because you have oily skin than it can't be dehydrated, try Clarins Hydraquench mask and let it sit for as long as you can, even until it absorbs completely into your skin.

Comment

My routine is not dissimilar to wishkamar's, except less products. I use a face wash with GLA but it's a very small %. I also use pure witch hazel water as my toner and rosehip oil. At night I only use rosehip oil, no moisturiser as I don't feel the need when the oil does everything it needs to. It improves skin moisture, texture and fades pigmentation. At night, I massage it in directly. In the morning I dampen a cotton pad with witch hazel, drop a single drop of rosehip onto and swipe this onto my face. I might need to do this three times to do my whole face. Using it with the witch hazel stops it being to oily. I moisturise mainly for the spf.

Even though my skin produces oil, I make sure it's prepped properly. It's a bit weird when you first start this routine because the skin is a bit shiny and you think that's the opposite of what you want. But by the time you finish with the foundation and powder, you should find you look just as matte as otherwise. I don't find my skin gets any more oilier either.

One other thing I have found, is that if I use something under the foundation (like the face to face antishine), there is a tendency for the foundation to look drier later in the day... which is why I reserve it for occasions only. On regular days (which for me, are long) I just blot and re-powder if I need to and find I don't have this problem. So if could be the milk of magnesia.

And just wondering how comes you aren't using the full coverage? I found SFF to be worse in regards to looking flaky/cracked later in the day. Providing your skin doesn't have a hint of dryness (hence the oil usage), FC really lasts.
                    OMG Paki!

Comment

^That's true! Rosehip oil is a very good moisturizer on its own. But since I've been put on Accutane first and then started using topical Retinol, it's dried up my skin by several degrees. Face feels parched if I don't put some heavy moisturizer specially in winter.
                      So verily, with the hardship, there is relief. Verily, with the hardship, there is relief. (Surat Insyirah 5-6)

Comment

Originally posted by wishkamar View Post
                        @Marwah My skin has tedency to have exact same issues that you mentioned. I've done quite extensive research on this skin type and have changed my skincare regime around and AH, it's been working great by far.

• First things first, you need to stop using a mechanical scrub. Use an exfoliator that chemically works on your epidermis and takes off dead skin cells without 1) irritating your skin and 2) over-stimulating your sebacious glands. Anything that has AHA such as glycolic acid and lactic acid and BHA - salicylic acid - can be used for this purpose. But use this AHA/BHA cleanser at night only. If, you really need to use a cleanser in the mornings, use the most gentle one you can find.
                        • Use a witch hazel toner (I love the one by Dickinson and has rave reviews on makeupalley) before you slap on moisturizer.
                        • I use Clarins' hydraquench as my moisturizer. It hydrates skin really well without leaving you looking like a paratha.

However, since I've incorporated Retinol in the night-time routine since a month, I've had to change things around a bit. Here is my night time routine these days: First, I use a cream based cleanser (I use one by Clarins that's shea butter in it and feels luxurious) that doesn't strip natural oils from your skin; if my skin feels particularly dry or I've used a water-resistant sunscreen, I'd throw in a few drops of tamanu oil (you can use any oil), massage it really well on face and then take it off with a cotton pad. Every other night or so, I use Dermalogica daily microfoliant, which has salicylic acid in it amongst other active ingredients, and that sort of takes care of any flakes and dry patches that I may have. Second, I go on with witchhazel toner. I use retinol every 3-4 nights, depending on how skin feels, and would put on retinol at this point followed by some thick moisturizer (I've been using Kiehl's rosa arctica cream) and call it a day.
                        If it's a night when I am not going to use retinol, I'd take a few drops of either rosehip oil or, kiehl's midnight discovery which I got as a sample, and massage it well on face. It soaks in right away and then follow it by either clarins' or kiehls' moisturizer.

This routine, a long one it may sound like, has been working REALLY well for me since a few months AH. My skin was always finicky but it was rendered super-sensitive and reactive by those lame acne-products that I used in desperation. Ingesting antibiotics for acne, including Accutane, didn't help making it any better, either. You dont have to use the products I've listed but these are the ones that suited me the most. They may seem expensive at first but, then, I dont use makeup at all, so I save my $$$ there

Last, but not the least, point is that do not EVER skip sunscreen over. I use http://www.neutrogena.ca/en/getProdu...=156&display=0 most days and it works beautifully.
                        Hey WK, I used to use Murad's clarifying cleanser that contains salicylic acid and it worked well, but it's pretty pricey and I haven't gotten a chance to go to Sephora so I resorted to a cheaper scrub but it seems to have done more harm than good so I will go back to something less harsh. I've heard a lot about witch hazel, what is it exactly and how does it help your skin? That does sound like a lot lol but hey if it works for you, great! I have yet to figure out a skincare routine that improves my skin, so far all i've managed to do is keep it from getting worse but it hasn't improved much.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinnamonroll View Post
                          I think you need to change your powder, if it's not controlling your oil production at least in appearance, then it's not working, maybe change your foundation too, i heard a lot of good things on Rimmel lasting foundation and for powder, i personally use the Laura Mercier setting powder when i need to and it's amazing, i also tried Make up for ever Duo Mat foundation and it was good (it's a pressed powder).

it's not because you have oily skin than it can't be dehydrated, try Clarins Hydraquench mask and let it sit for as long as you can, even until it absorbs completely into your skin.
                          Hm, the reason I don't change my powder is because it matches so well with my skin and I haven't found another that looks just as good....but I think for people with oily skin, no matter what powder you use, you get oily at some point. I've heard great things about MUF so I am willing to give that a try.

Comment

Originally posted by stoppit View Post
                            My routine is not dissimilar to wishkamar's, except less products. I use a face wash with GLA but it's a very small %. I also use pure witch hazel water as my toner and rosehip oil. At night I only use rosehip oil, no moisturiser as I don't feel the need when the oil does everything it needs to. It improves skin moisture, texture and fades pigmentation. At night, I massage it in directly. In the morning I dampen a cotton pad with witch hazel, drop a single drop of rosehip onto and swipe this onto my face. I might need to do this three times to do my whole face. Using it with the witch hazel stops it being to oily. I moisturise mainly for the spf.

Even though my skin produces oil, I make sure it's prepped properly. It's a bit weird when you first start this routine because the skin is a bit shiny and you think that's the opposite of what you want. But by the time you finish with the foundation and powder, you should find you look just as matte as otherwise. I don't find my skin gets any more oilier either.

One other thing I have found, is that if I use something under the foundation (like the face to face antishine), there is a tendency for the foundation to look drier later in the day... which is why I reserve it for occasions only. On regular days (which for me, are long) I just blot and re-powder if I need to and find I don't have this problem. So if could be the milk of magnesia.

And just wondering how comes you aren't using the full coverage? I found SFF to be worse in regards to looking flaky/cracked later in the day. Providing your skin doesn't have a hint of dryness (hence the oil usage), FC really lasts.
                            I know you have oily skin too, do you find that the rosehip oil makes you look greasy? and do you follow this routine before applying your makeup? Milk of magnesia is drying, but I tried figuring out if that's what was causing the flaking, and even on days I didn't use it, my skin still flaked. It seems to happen by the end of the day when i've blotted my face 15 times already, I start getting cakey and flakey but if I don't blot, i'm oily! ARGH.

Full coverage is a great foundation, it's very thick too so I use it on special occasions where there's going to be lots of picture taking (it photographs well) but on a regular basis I find it a bit too heavy to apply all over the face so what I do is that I use it as a concealer and sometimes around the nose where there's a little redness.

Comment

I don't find it does. For an oil, it's not that greasy anyway. And used with the witch hazel makes it even less because WH is an astringent. You'd have to use it in the way I describe though. The face doesn't look matte but not oily either, just a bit shiny. When my foundation is on, that shininess is gone. I do this WH + RHO before moisturising and makeup.

I apply FC with a synthetic flat foundation brush, so I just get a light veil of coverage. It covers better than SFF but with a thinner amount applied, I think. Perhaps try and see if you can apply less to compare how it lasts? I find SFF to be quite a dry foundation.
                              OMG Paki!

Comment

Working...
                              X