Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Weddings - Where did you get desi invitations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S. Weddings - Where did you get desi invitations?

I don't trust my relatives back home to take care of it for me (plus if there are any issues, I'll be pissed and it'll cause tension so I'd prefer to just leave family out of it).

That being said....where can I get reasonable ($1 or under per card) desi invitations? Our wedding is very small by desi standards (sending out about 170 invitations). Ideally, I'd like to keep it around $400 or lower for the cards (this includes "thank you" cards, envelopes, at least 2 inserts).

Question: What do people do for "place" cards at the reception? Like during the cocktail hour, people will pick up cards from a table with their name and table number. Is that ordered with invitations too?

I found some sites online: http://www.parekhcards.com/ and also weddingcardzone.com. They seem reasonable and I can defininately go with some of the cards they show. Any thoughts or experiences with these vendors?

Re: U.S. Weddings - Where did you get desi invitations?

My husband ordered cards online for the wedding (to give out on his side), so when he gets home I will ask him which site he used. He was also emailing back and forth with the vendor (they were in Pakistan I believe). He got a pretty good deal.

Also, Michaels, in the wedding section, they have "do-it-yourself" invitations that are actually pretty easy to use. I got an invitation kit from there to make mayoun cards, because I forgot to make those in Pakistan.

For place cards, again, Michaels has different designs in the wedding section. Also, Walmart has some as well, along with Staples. You can get so many different designs from there!!
    There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart!

Comment

Paheli,

There are a lot of options out there; but we ended up ordering my brother's invites online. The invitations were Birchcraft and we purchased through this website, which as an approved retailer for Birchcraft: http://www.yourinvitationplace.com/D...=elegantbrides

You have to go through that link to see the additionally discounted prices. We got a lot of compliments on the invitations. We selected this one for my brother's valima and the bride's side picked matching ones (just different colors) for the mehndi and shadi: https://www.yourinvitationplace.com/...=elegantbrides
      You can order samples through the site or you can find a local Birchcraft retailer who has a catalogue in store, check them out, and then just order through the site. We were worried about using the site but had no trouble at all. They had very good customer service.

We wanted something simple, elegant, and with raised writing for a more formal look (ours was thermography).

If you don't care about the raised lettering, you can also purchase through Minted.com or Weddingpaperdivas.com, where you can find affordable options too. But if you want the raised lettering, that will be harder to find in your pricerange.

Comment

By the way, it's really important you get a look at the samples in person. The quality of the paper and its weight are important consideration for wedding invites. We rejected some designs simply based on the flimsy paper. This one we did select was much nicer in person.

Comment

Saima: Yes, please do let me know which site he ordered from. Great idea on Michaels!

Sahar: Thanks for the link....I'll def. go through it today. Although I'm not looking for anything "fancy"...I would like the invitations to look nice...especially since the reception is a formal dinner (also about 1/3 of our guests are white). I don't want anything that looks or feels cheap. And yes, will def. get samples. I looked at minted.com but their designs weren't really "desi" enough for my liking. What're you thoughts on my "budget" for 170ish invities? Do you think I should add in a extra hundread or 2 for something "nicer".

** I forgot to add RSVP cards! I need these too...lol.

Comment

^ Paheli, if you look at the link, my brother's cards match your budget. Like I said, people loved them. They came out really nice.

We had a long debate over RSVP cards and because I love stationary and traditions, if it was my wedding, I would've gotten them. But neither the bride and groom wanted them and it seemed silly to spend so much money on them if they didn't feel they were necessary. So they did an RSVP email address.

Comment

Sahar:
              I did peek at the links and like the cards. Fiance will also like them b/c they elegant but simple (he's not into overly desi stuff). And yes, you're right....the cards are around my budget (I'm a bit flexible if need be to even going upto $500ish is not a big deal).

Umm....yea no, the e-mail RSVP will NEVER fly with me (or my fiance). We will get RSVP cards for sure. Fiance and I agreed NOT to do a "save the date" card. We will start informing our "guest list" people of the date through e-mails and FB as soon as a venue is booked (we're hoping to have contracts signed by this weekend) since it's a relatively small list....but that's the only thing we're relying on "free technology" for.

Comment

^ Yeah your guestlist is small enough that you have a lot of options. We we looking at 500 people.

Let me know how it goes!

(by the way, I didn't mean to suggest you get those exact ones. Just that there are many on that site that are within your pricerange)
                Last edited by S02; Nov 9, 2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I do custom wedding invitations and I'm based in the US. I do more modern styles with traditional touches.

You can PM for my samples

Comment

I did by myself. Decorated the mehndi ones with hands.
                    May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
                    Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
                    Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

I know in the UK there are various magazines that have ads for suppliers. I am sure that if you contact them, they might be able to help you even though you are in USA. The magazines are:

1) Asiana Wedding
                      2) Asian Woman

(Asian in UK means people from the sub continent and not people from the far east - as they are referred to in the USA).
                      Cheers and Goodluck

Comment

Invites and accompanying stationery
                        Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
                        - Nehru

Comment

ummm maybe even try mahj design studio, www.mahjdesigns.com . i dont know if u'll find under $1 but its worth a shot!vmaybe you can request them to do beautiful printed ones...

Comment

Originally posted by Lusi View Post
                            I did by myself. Decorated the mehndi ones with hands.
                            Many people design and print their own invitations now.

My wedding cards were made in Pakistan through family but mehndi and mayun cards were hand made by my sister. They were beautiful.
                            Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

Have you tried Etsy? Seeing some nice options there. Other than that I think Carlson Craft and Birchcraft seem to be the more affordable big companies, and various online vendors give you good prices.
                              Last edited by S02; Nov 14, 2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X