How to build a "Hijabi" wardrobe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to build a "Hijabi" wardrobe?

Guys, I have made my decision to iA start wearing the Hijab.
    As we know real Hijab isnt only covering your hair, but also wearing loose clothing that prevent others from seeing your body shape. Full sleeved clothes etc etc.

My question now is.. how do I start building my wardrobe? I want to start buying clothes that are Hijab appropriate. I used to wear pretty tight, short sleeved clothes and I have SOOOO many clothes like that.. What should I do with those clothes? Some of them r really new. What kind of clothes should I start buying?

Well first...congratulations on this big decision.

Second, you don't necessarily have to get rid of everything. You just have to start getting creative. Tight tops with short sleeves...definitely a no no. However, with a cardigan and a hijab draped strategically over the chest area...voila. You now have a modest outfit. Depends on the top though. If it's tight everywhere and looks painted on and no amount of layering is helping, then you may have to consider getting rid of it.

Pants or jeans that stick to hips and thighs? No problem...a long top (i.e. tunic, A-Line dress that hits at the thighs, trench coat, etc.) can take care of that so long as the pants/jeans aren't sticking to the rest of your legs...then you have issues.

Some tops hit at the waist or higher...you can wear them over a longer top or if they at least hit at your hips (and don't ride up), you can wear a long, flowy skirt.

Just use your imagination. You may end up getting rid of a few things, but you might be surprised at the modest and interesting combinations you can come up with. There are tons of hijab fashion blogs with lots of beautiful and halal ideas...you'll probably find that you already have most of the stuff they picture in your closet. It's just a matter of putting it together properly. One of my favorite sites is "We Love Hijab" and "Hegab Rehab." There are tons more. Just do a google search.

Oh also...turtlenecks are a good investment. Soft stretchy ones that are a bit clingy are perfect to wear under tops with low necks and/or short sleeves.
    Last edited by mistral; Nov 14, 2009, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Almost forgot. This is one of the tricks I use to make something hijab appropriate.

I found this cardigan/tank set in a color that really works on me. However, the tank ruined everything by being low cut and the cardigan was constructed in such a way that you couldn't hide what the tank revealed. So I walked out of the store.

And walked back in 10 minutes later. I took the tank off the hanger and examined the back side of it which happened to be at neck level. So I tried the set on with the tank backward. It didn't look "off" and it was no longer low cut (only in the back but the cardigan easily concealed that). With the cardigan and a matching hijab (and the tag removed), it was perfect.

Comment

^ Those are some great idea's. For the "kaam' walay outfits that u may have, you may always add-on sleeves and have little work done or a fancy lace put-in at the 'jorr'
        ..all you need is trust and a little bit of pixie dust!

Comment

Originally posted by mistral View Post
          Almost forgot. This is one of the tricks I use to make something hijab appropriate.

I found this cardigan/tank set in a color that really works on me. However, the tank ruined everything by being low cut and the cardigan was constructed in such a way that you couldn't hide what the tank revealed. So I walked out of the store.

And walked back in 10 minutes later. I took the tank off the hanger and examined the back side of it which happened to be at neck level. So I tried the set on with the tank backward. It didn't look "off" and it was no longer low cut (only in the back but the cardigan easily concealed that). With the cardigan and a matching hijab (and the tag removed), it was perfect.
          excellent idea...
          what good is a grudge if you cannot hold onto it.

Comment

Re: How to build a "Hijabi" wardrobe?

One can layer cardigans ... If you have any tight tops with full sleeves then a cardigan is all you need ... here is something someone else has come up with.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AvuSNSi-0F..._cardigans.jpg

By the way hareem01 is an expert in this area most of her clothes are non-desi
            The Prophet(SAW) said:
            "I am leaving you two things and you will never go astray as long as you cling to them -- they are the Book of Allah and my Sunnah." [Reported by Al- Haakim - Sahih].

Comment

Mashallah! Congratulations!
              The Prophet (PBUH) said: "Whoever loves to meet Allah, Allah will love to meet him" [Sahih Al-Bukhari]

Comment

check Shalwar Kameez Pakistani Wedding Lehenga Indian Bridal Lenghas Dresses Fashion for ideas for dressy desi clothes- they've recently added lots of beautiful outfits featuring hijabi models. get them re-made though, don't order off bargello.
                Life is like a game of cards. The hand you are dealt is determinism; the way you play it is free will.
                - Nehru

Comment

thanks ladies :-)

Comment

Another helpful aspect for a hijabi's wardrobe (anybody's, actually), is to know how to sew. You don't need to know how to whip up couture, but being able to hem, take out, or perhaps add a border of pretty lace to the edge of a skirt is all you need to turn a questionable item of clothing into something modestly appropriate. It will also save you a fortune in tailoring bills.

Comment

^ mistral, your a star!

Loving the thread

Comment

congrats may Allah give you and all of us persistance. aameen

Comment

Originally posted by somegroovychick View Post
                          check Shalwar Kameez Pakistani Wedding Lehenga Indian Bridal Lenghas Dresses Fashion for ideas for dressy desi clothes- they've recently added lots of beautiful outfits featuring hijabi models. get them re-made though, don't order off bargello.

where are the hijabi models i couldnt find any

Comment

check this blog, she has great ideas for making various outfits hijab-friendly and also accesorizing

Hijab Style: outfits

Comment

Originally posted by angelfairy View Post
                              Guys, I have made my decision to iA start wearing the Hijab.
                              As we know real Hijab isnt only covering your hair, but also wearing loose clothing that prevent others from seeing your body shape. Full sleeved clothes etc etc.

My question now is.. how do I start building my wardrobe? I want to start buying clothes that are Hijab appropriate. I used to wear pretty tight, short sleeved clothes and I have SOOOO many clothes like that.. What should I do with those clothes? Some of them r really new. What kind of clothes should I start buying?

you keep those clothes and wear them underneath sweaters etc.

you can start buying skirts, long sleeved tops and cardigans etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X