Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to organise your wedding shopping guide book

I've got a suggestion....

For all the guppy's getting married soon or recently married maybe we can put our heads together and I can put a few things together of details of where to shop for wedding stuff from cards, designer dresses, un sewn material, bangles, shoes, gold, diamonds etc in Lahore / Karachi / Islamabad...

Re: How to organise your wedding shopping guide book

my main question that i always ask everyone that how many dresses i would need from post wedding parties i don't want to buy 69 dresses and don't get to wear them all

Comment

why 69??????
      Q. What do you get from a pampered cow?
      A. Spoiled milk.

Comment

^ thats what came 2 my minde 2. 69 dresses is way 2 much...

Comment

well i just said 69 cuz my finger just typed those number i actually meant *a lot* by typing 69
          my couisn got more then 69 dresses at her wedding btw and one of my neighbor got around 50 dresses so even though it's too much but ppl in pak are used to the idea, i just don't want to waste my money, or to force my self to wear those dresses after few years of my wedding when they all are not in fashion anymore but i would force my self to wear those cuz i will feel bad to waste my money

Comment

Yanzala, don't fall into the trap of buying that many outfits at one time. Outfits that are so amazing today WILL go out of fashion in a couple of years. There are two options if you want to keep your wardrobe fresh:

1. Have all the outfits embroidered, but don't stitich them all. Initially, get 20 or so of them done, and every year, open up your suitcase, and get a few more of the un-sewn ones sewn according to the latest style. My mother in law did this with me.

2. Just buy the 20-30 or so you know you will be using, and add to your wardrobe every year either by buying a few outfits from here or if you have a relative (preferably mom) going to Pakistan, ordering a several new ones through them. They can even FedEx or DHL them to you, if suitcase space is a problem.
            My mother has done this with me.

3. Have all your outfits (all 69 of them) made, but have most of them in a classic design. Don't make 60 patialas, make a few. Make most of the outfits traditional shalwar kameez or churidars or lehngas with average shirt lengths.

Nowadays, there is so much turnover in trends. New shalwars, new shirts, new types of embroidery. In the old days, when a bride got all 101 of her outfits on her wedding, fashion was pretty much the same for years. You could get away with a long sleeve shalwar kameez with dabka and a tissue dupatta for generations. My SIL (whose been married 15 years) wore an old jahez outfit to a wedding recently. It looked so old fashioned. I was amazed at how even embroidery has changed over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Raatkirani
              Yanzala, don't fall into the trap of buying that many outfits at one time. Outfits that are so amazing today WILL go out of fashion in a couple of years. There are two options if you want to keep your wardrobe fresh:

1. Have all the outfits embroidered, but don't stitich them all. Initially, get 20 or so of them done, and every year, open up your suitcase, and get a few more of the un-sewn ones sewn according to the latest style. My mother in law did this with me.

2. Just buy the 20-30 or so you know you will be using, and add to your wardrobe every year either by buying a few outfits from here or if you have a relative (preferably mom) going to Pakistan, ordering a several new ones through them. They can even FedEx or DHL them to you, if suitcase space is a problem.
              My mother has done this with me.

3. Have all your outfits (all 69 of them) made, but have most of them in a classic design. Don't make 60 patialas, make a few. Make most of the outfits traditional shalwar kameez or churidars or lehngas with average shirt lengths.

Nowadays, there is so much turnover in trends. New shalwars, new shirts, new types of embroidery. In the old days, when a bride got all 101 of her outfits on her wedding, fashion was pretty much the same for years. You could get away with a long sleeve shalwar kameez with dabka and a tissue dupatta for generations. My SIL (whose been married 15 years) wore an old jahez outfit to a wedding recently. It looked so old fashioned. I was amazed at how even embroidery has changed over the years.
              hey thanks yaar, i really like ur detail info, speically the part about getting un stitched outfit.
              i also want to include that i was thinking about getting sari, since those banarasi sari are never out of fashioned so i thought even if i buy 5,6 of those, that wouldn't hurt much. what do u think???

Comment

^thats true but even styles of banarsi saris change
                my mom's banarsi saris from her wedding would look a little out of place today

Comment

Originally posted by asimaan
                  ^thats true but even styles of banarsi saris change
                  my mom's banarsi saris from her wedding would look a little out of place today
                  my mom's sari are actually back in fashion again after 24 years MASHALLAH. so maybe i thought buy what in fashion now and wait for 24 years also

Comment

Numbers of outfits depends on you, where you live and what you'll expect. I had 25 suits and saris from my mom's side, 19 from guy's side. I've worn half. of course my husband and i don't live in our parent's hometowns...most of what i wore was to parties at my inlawas/parents etc...

I had a blast shopping but to be honest, could have gotten half of them and been fine.

It's hard to recommend by city b/c in pakistan it depends on who you know and who'll take you shopping.

My advice-

1. know going to pakistan what you want-

For ex. - i had my shadi outfit color and walima color in mind. It get super overwelming once you get there and it gets hard to keep focused. I was in Pk for 19 days to shop, got both outfits in one day...and had them sewn.

My priority was to buy something already with kardai done already and then have it sewn....did NOT want to order something and have it not come back the way i wanted/hoped and then be stuck in the US.

2. agree with not going too fashionable with everything. My in laws did more shilwar suits, i had a bunch of trousers from my side...but in my crowd here in NYC most of my friends prefer trousers anyways so it's still fine.

One thing i wish i had known was the different styles-
                    There are so many things out there...and i have no clue.
                    Langha, garara, sharara, laicha, pashwaas...farshee garara...so many...

also one last thing, my In laws were all about oh i can wear my shadi/walima outfit at my brother's shadi or someone else's maybe this works in Pakistan, i find it tooo much here.

Comment

FYI , my mom originally wanted to do 101 suits, you also add in suits that are everyday outfits..and some unsewn..but yes fashion changes...so we chose not to.

Comment

As Raatkirani said it, we did the same thing with our sister wedding when she got married. Her in-laws and our family from my dad side and mom side went crazy a bit since, my bro-in-law is youngest son and she was the oldest daughter getting married in our family from my dad side and from my mom side also. So, i think she got unimited suit from everyone so most of them my mom just left unstitch and she can take it out on eid and especial event and get it sewen and wore it. So that way she can customize the dress depending on the fashion and just wear it.

What else my mom did is with embroidery that instead of getting it done on the same cloth, she just took the spare cloth of that colour and get the embriodery done on that so if the embroidery is on daman and as you guys know these days short shirts r in fashion and if u have normal length shirt embroided u can do anything do that so just get the embroidery done on the spare cloth and whenever u need to where that suit just cut that embriodery part out and sew it to ur shirt and customize the length to what u wanted and work really well too and it well worth ur time and money that what i found out from her wedding and might to the same thing when my turn is there.

Sobia

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.

Comment

since i were qamiz shalwar a lot, even more then jeans or other ameircan dresses i was thinking about buying a lot of everyday wear or bit fancy nice cotton qamiz shalwar

Comment

Originally posted by yanzala
                            since i were qamiz shalwar a lot, even more then jeans or other ameircan dresses i was thinking about buying a lot of everyday wear or bit fancy nice cotton qamiz shalwar
                            I love cotton but when it comes out of the washer its soooooo wrinkled up and no dhobi here to put kalaff
                            Zara phir say kehna-

Comment

so whats the least amount inlaws have given do you think?

Comment

Working...
                              X