Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can anyone think a forced marriage is for the 'best'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can anyone think a forced marriage is for the 'best'?

I'm trying to understand why people in our culture think that a forced marriage can be for the best of their children. In most cases, the daughters suffer. A marriage can't be treated lightly. People have to spend the rest of their lives together, if they aren't allowed to divorce and they can't get away. And it's such an intimate affair. I don't understand how you can force someone in a marriage and then expect that person to be happy and grateful!

Okay, so our parents want to give us the 'best' future, right? They think only their choice is correct and they pick a husband who they deem righteous. However, there is a selfish element in this practise. The partner they choose for their daughter has to elevate their own status as well. They want their izzat to be safe, so the daughter often has to be married as quick as possible. They care more for their own status and izzat in society, even if that izzat is built on empty and fake reputations, often so far away from the reality of their personal lives. So many parents in our society don't care about the well being of their daughters. If they cared about the happiness and the well being of their daughter, they would never force her into a marriage.

Wouldn't the opinion of their child count too, if they really cared beyond their own izzat and status? How can people still side with parents who force their children in marriages? Even children who behave well and give no reason at all to be married off like that. Perhaps some of you can explain the part I don't understand. Am I missing something? Is there some additional reason which redeems this behaviour?

Yes, children make wrong decisions at time, children don't know everything. We all learn in life. I'm forty and still learning. But this? Why?
    Well . . .

Re: How can anyone think a forced marriage is for the 'best'?

It's not right imo and men are victims of it as much as the wimenz.

Comment

Re: How can anyone think a forced marriage is for the 'best'?

Originally posted by third string View Post
      It's not right imo and men are victims of it as much as the wimenz.
      That is why I said 'in most cases, the daughters suffer' instead of in all cases, the daughters suffer'.
      Well . . .

Comment

Working...
      X