Honeymoon expenditures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honeymoon expenditures

I donít know if itís just me, but who thinks spending between $20,000-$40,000 on a honey moon for about 6 days is excessive?? When I mentioned that is a lot of dough to shell out, she replied ďitís my honeymoonĒ.

My friends are getting married in a few months and she just told me thatís how much it will cost to go to the carribean islands, or something similar (because they want the villa, and upgraded everything etc) ..

I donít know.. I think they are stupid for spending this money on a trip, when they can use that money to buy a house instead (their plan once the wedding is over), or save up for the kid they are planning to have after the wedding.. because once preggeres, the girl will be quitting her job for good and will rely on husbandís sole income for everything..

Now, they make about $140,000 together a year and are lavish spenders in general- going to the bahamas for example, to celebrate a birthday... there wedding alone is costing them $40,000, and they are paying for everything themselves.. good for them..

But, I think in a way, some people forget that itís not about the wedding, itís about the marriage that people should focus on. Tomorrow, no one will remember what color your backdrop was, or how the napkins were folded, or how many centerpieces you had. This same girl also told me a few weeks ago that she doesnít want to get married (this was a 100% love alliance with her pushing to get married since last year, and now all of a sudden says she doesnít want to, but is going through with it anyway.)

Are my standards just low? Or is spending 20-40k ON A HONEYMOON is justifiable?

Re: Honeymoon expenditures

it is her honeymoon, with her moneys. enough said.
    Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Obviously they can do whatever they want. Im not here to stop them.

This forum is to have have discussions about real and/or hypothetical events and thoughts on things. Hence, my post. You telling me "it is her honeymoon, with her moneys.enough said" is not a discussion

Comment

Originally posted by akaprincess View Post
        Are my standards just low? Or is spending 20-40k ON A HONEYMOON is justifiable?
        It's not about having high or low standards. You have your views/limits. Your friend has hers.

As long as she and her husband are on the same page, that's all that matters. They earn the money. They can spend it however they want.

Comment

Obviously they can do whatever they want. Im not here to stop them.

This forum is to have have discussions about real and/or hypothetical events and thoughts on things. Hence, my post. You telling me "it is her honeymoon, with her moneys.enough said" is not a discussion

If it is obvious that this is none of your business, what is the point of discussing it? How about we discuss your honeymoon plans, pal? =]

Where are you going? How much are you budgeting?
          Simple ain't easy.

Comment

If that's the case, you shouldn't be responding to anything anybody says or wants to discuss cuz it's nobodys business to get feedback on anything.

And since its none of your business, you dont need to know where i went

Comment

You know a lot of people are adopting this practice to have the least number of invitees in wedding and hence saving a lot of money, even the venue/food is not so lavish but then they spend a lot of money on honya moonya. But usually its like a more liberal style and those people are more outgoers or travellers.

In this case, I just find it hard to figure out where they'll be spending 40k in 6 days. Now since you said its 20-40k, its a big window but even if u take an average i think 30k is good money to spend in 6 days. Even a cruise trip doesnt take that much.

OP, I think you and I are a little lost in numbers..
              Attitude is more important than facts.
              "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Its the lodging/tickets that are costing that much .. not sure if food is included .. But anything else is extra..
                That range is for one location which is 40k, the lowest (so far) is 20k, for 6 days...

Yeah i guess we are lost lollllll..
                I just think its a bit much, but thats just me.. Thats why i was curious to see if others do the same/similar

Comment

If that's the case, you shouldn't be responding to anything anybody says or wants to discuss cuz it's nobodys business to get feedback on anything.

So basically, you dont want to discuss anything about yourself. But have no qualms about advertising everything about your "friend."

mhm... and they ask where desi auntyji nosy behavior stems from.
                  Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Some people have challenges in the pants and are angry, best to ignore them, especially if they wear queerness on their sleeve..lol

Comment

That's a lot of money, could pay for a college education or a nice whip. I think they're being extra cause that's way too much to spend on a vacation when they're combine household income is 140k, it wouldn't be such a big deal if they're were making half a mil. How much is "extra" depends on what you're making and how much your living expenses are.

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
                        Now since you said its 20-40k, its a big window but even if u take an average i think 30k is good money to spend in 6 days. Even a cruise trip doesnt take that much.
                        My BIL/SIL spent about 10K during a weekend trip to the Bahamas last year. For people who have money and are willing to spend it, coming up with ways to spend it is not a problem.

As for your cruise comment, that applies to cheap ones like Carnival and if you're being frugal about everything. Otherwise, when you're booking more nicer cruise lines like Crystal and get a penthouse suite with veranda/butler service, fly business class to get to the departing city, do VIP excursions, do plenty of local shopping without worrying about how you're going to get the items back home etc......hitting 30K for a cruise can happen in a heartbeat.

Comment

^^ it can happen in a heartbeat? Wow .. interesting to know .. i didn't know it really could be so costly

Comment

Personally I think that's a little expensive.

A couple of my friends got married right out of uni and their spouses just started their jobs so they went to something closer and it didn't cost as much. Older friends went to more extravagant destinations. It really depends on your priorities and what your financial goals are.

The experience and companionship is most important!
                            I think it's nicer to have shorter and more frequent trips especially if you're more adventurous and like having less routine in life and it provides more chances to grow your worldview and personality.
                            ďSometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.Ē

Comment

^^ it can happen in a heartbeat? Wow .. interesting to know .. i didn't know it really could be so costly
                              Many people have empty lives and they think throwing money at it will bring them happiness. I have seen divorces right after very expensive weddings and honeymoons and I have seen flourishing relationships without any expense. My brothers first wedding everyone spent loads of money and the marriage failed. Second was a civil marriage and going strong with two amazing children.

Comment

Working...
                              X