Need some information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some information

I don't knw if m posting it to the rite forum, but can anyone please give me some information on how much one needs to survive in UK..specifically London...
    Including accommodation and transportation.
    Basically for couple with average lifestyle.

Re: Need some information

Compared to the rest of the UK, London can be extremely expensive, especially around the central area. A simple one bedroom flat within central London can be up for sale at a staggering 250,000 compared to somewhere say in Birmingham where you could buy a beautiful detached 4 bedroom home for the same amount. Moral of the story- expect prices to be high, even for rent.

Unless you live sort of in the outer region of London, you could get a more affordable place to live whilst still being able to get into London and not having to compromise on location much. Also, for transport, many Londoners use the tube to get around London which has a fantastic transport service! And is very cheap to use as many people get the Oyster cards which is like a top-up pay as you go sort of system, allowing you to use tubes efficiently and just top up with more money once it runs out.

Those are just a few pointers regarding life in London, I would advise you to google search the cheaper areas within and outside of London and also their prices.

Hope that could somewhat help
    Allah will make everything beautiful at the right place, at the right time, for the best reasons. Always have faith in Allah. Trust Allah. :)

Comment

You're looking at a minimum of around 1000 a month to get by in most parts of London.. that's if you're renting and want an apartment for just yourselves (as opposed to sharing)..

If you're looking to buy Sadia is right when she says a one bed will set you back around 250,00 - and that's for something pretty basic.. You'd be looking at probably 1300 a month minimum for the mortgage but add on even just the basic expenses and it'll be closer to 2000 (basics - groceries and bills).. On top of that you need to add costs for transport, whether you drive or use public transport..

The average wage in London is around 35,000 and most people can just get by on that.. You wouldn't be able to live very comfortably on it though..
      Confidence is silent, insecurities are loud..

Comment

Gr8... thanks...
        I basically wanted to knw the avg salary...
        Can u give me an idea on the avg rents for flats or even sharing... i.e. if it works for a couple.

Also how difficult will it be for the other to find a job?... as in if the husband has a job already, how difficult can it get for the wife to hunt a job?

Comment

You can check the houses and their rents on UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent
          I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill . . . . M. Gandhi

Comment

Google would be your best friend in order to find out things like avg salary etc.
            Allah will make everything beautiful at the right place, at the right time, for the best reasons. Always have faith in Allah. Trust Allah. :)

Comment

Wow, this is the first time I'm reading that public transport in London is cheap.

One bed flats in decent areas of Zone's 5 and 6 are now selling for 200,000+. The housing market is crazy at the moment.

I could answer your questions accurately but I'd need to know roughly where you would be thinking of living and what sector jobs are being being sought.

Greater London covers a huge area, most people who work centrally live from Zone 4 to further out, especially those 'average' wage earners.
              OMG Paki!

Comment

Thanks...thts really helpful...
                Actually my fiance has applied for a job in London, not sure if he will get thru...but I jst want to get the basic info...
                The annual sal offered is approx 34k.
                Also I have work exp in accounting as well as financial reporting and MIS...but am not sure if I can find something related. ..
                If iA he gets thru, we might have to move there post our wedding...
                Hence needed some help...m not sure where he wuld be residing, the job I guess is somewhere in central london...

Comment

Originally posted by messedup View Post
                  Thanks...thts really helpful...
                  Actually my fiance has applied for a job in London, not sure if he will get thru...but I jst want to get the basic info...
                  The annual sal offered is approx 34k.
                  Also I have work exp in accounting as well as financial reporting and MIS...but am not sure if I can find something related. ..
                  If iA he gets thru, we might have to move there post our wedding...
                  Hence needed some help...m not sure where he wuld be residing, the job I guess is somewhere in central london...
                  34k is pretty good, especially if you then find a job and also earn around a similar marks.

Comment

London is stupidly expensive. A 2 bedroom rental place in a decent neighborhood in zone 2 (just outside central london) costs 1800-2000 per month on average. You may have to spend anything from 5 to 20 per day on public transport depending on how far you have to commute. Utilities - gas, electricity, water, council taxes are not cheap either. You are looking at an additional 150 per month. And of course, cell phones, internet, cable - but these can be kept to a minimum.

34k is a decent salary, but I honestly think you will struggle to live on that. You'll have to cut a lot of corners, and watch every penny you spend. I doubt you'll have much left over to go on vacations or even eat out often. You could choose to live much further away in the suburbs but that increases your transportation costs, and you'll be spending a significant part of your day commuting... not fun! If you're really keen on moving to London, I'd strongly recommend finding a job for yourself too.
                    There is no one like me. There's only me.

Comment

Thanks sadia and Lucy may...yep, even I intend to look for a job...
                      Not sure if I can find something in the same profile tho...
                      But m open to all kind of jobs with decent salary and profile...lets hope my fiance gets thru...inshallah. ..

Comment

Originally posted by LucyMay View Post
                        London is stupidly expensive. A 2 bedroom rental place in a decent neighborhood in zone 2 (just outside central london) costs 1800-2000 per month on average. You may have to spend anything from 5 to 20 per day on public transport depending on how far you have to commute. Utilities - gas, electricity, water, council taxes are not cheap either. You are looking at an additional 150 per month. And of course, cell phones, internet, cable - but these can be kept to a minimum.

34k is a decent salary, but I honestly think you will struggle to live on that. You'll have to cut a lot of corners, and watch every penny you spend. I doubt you'll have much left over to go on vacations or even eat out often. You could choose to live much further away in the suburbs but that increases your transportation costs, and you'll be spending a significant part of your day commuting... not fun! If you're really keen on moving to London, I'd strongly recommend finding a job for yourself too.
                        Regular people don't live in Zone 2.
                        OMG Paki!

Comment

34K is about 2000 a month after deductions. It's about enough for a couple and how far it gets you really depends on how you spend and your lifestyle. A single person earning this amount and working in Zone 1, would be able to rent a room in house-share in some parts of Zone 2 or 3. For young couples and families, you'll find everyone lives much further out and commutes in (1hr at least) via train and tube. Having said that, your fiance's job might not even be in the center of London, so you might be able to afford to live relatively close by and in driving distance rather than public transport.

Depending on whether you're north/east/south/west zone 4-6 and the desirability of the area/public transport links, you can find a decent 1 bed flat for 800/month upwards. Adding on council tax and bills you are looking at another 200-300/month. For travel you should budget about 200/month (either for public transport to central London or car related expenses if you are a shortish drive from work).

That leaves you with about 700/month for everything else, so like I said, it depends on your lifestyle. Groceries for a couple can be really variable but let's say including making packed lunches, it will be about 200/month. So that leaves 500 for eating out, stuff like going to the cinema, clothes and other household expenses... it can be gone before you know it unless you really watch how you spend.

Bottom line, don't worry, you'll be able to get by on just his salary and if you manage to find employment things will be much more comfortable.
                          OMG Paki!

Comment

^^ Agreed, they can manage to live on her husband's salary in zones 5 or 6. OP, make sure you budget some money for moving expenses (assuming you live outside the UK now). Also you will spend more in the initial months (setting up the house - paying various deposits, getting basic furniture and household stuff etc).

Sorry if my earlier post came across as too negative. Personally, I find London to be one of the least liveable cities I've been in. You spend a crazy amount on the most basic stuff, and frankly, don't get that much in return. Just my 0.2.

Anyhoo.. my personal bias aside, OP, here's a website with basic info on moving to London

http://www.movingtolondon.net/
                            Last edited by LucyMay; Apr 30, 2014, 04:40 PM. Reason: added link
                            There is no one like me. There's only me.

Comment

thanks all!!!...tht was really helpful ..lets hope he gets thru..IA..

Comment

Working...
                              X