Living Away for College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living Away for College

Do you think living away from home in a dorm or apartment for education weighs in negatively against a woman during the rishta process?
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Re: Living Away for College

Only if you are Gothic
    -- Nauman --

Comment

no it doesn't if its for education purpose. but situation reverse if its for work purpose.
      many guys and their families avoid girls who are living away from their home for work purpose.

Comment

^Really? I've never come across a family which thinks one is ok but not the other..

PCG, some might do.. but you're prob best away from people like that anyway..

I moved out for uni and again much later.. with my dad's blessing.. I know quite a few other desi girls who lived away..
        Confidence is silent, insecurities are loud..

Comment

it's a taboo ONLY for FOB desis.
          Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
          16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

In some families, yes its not something they appreciate, but I think its not the type of family you would wanna marry into either.

I know many families who look down upon girls living somewhere else during studies, and when their own daughters do it, they keep it as a secret ie. only very close family members know.
            Procrastination at its finest .. Thats me =)

Comment

in some families it definitely is
              i lived in the US which was a totally new country for me and my family for my MS. but it didnt effect my rishta process that much

Comment

The more important question is if you would restrict your own, your daughter's, or any other female's academic opportunities due to some hypothetical rishta's preference. The answer should be no, in which case the answer to the original question doesn't matter.

I'm sure some people wouldn't want a girl who's ever lived away from home. On the other hand, I KNOW guys who like girls who have shown independence and dedication when pursuing academic/career goals. So tho it may close off some opportunities, it could open up others.

Comment

It all depends on the family, some families don worry about such things and some make a huge fuss, Jidhar honee hogee wahan koi masla pareshani nahi hogee :K
                  HUM BHI BEY SAHARA TUM BHI BEY SAHARA
                  FITTAY MUNN HAMARA FITTAY MUNN TUMHARA

Comment

islamically it is not permissible

Comment

living away for women is not permissible in islam? even though they are out studying or working and nothing more?
                      HUM BHI BEY SAHARA TUM BHI BEY SAHARA
                      FITTAY MUNN HAMARA FITTAY MUNN TUMHARA

Comment

Originally posted by Areeb55 View Post
                        Source please?

Are you sure you're not confusing culture with religion?

Comment

My parents talked to some people about rishta options, and it definitely came up as to "why was she away from home for so many years?", and when it was explained it was for work/education, there was some hesitation and reluctant "acha theek".
                          I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by kaun View Post
                            living away for women is not permissible in islam? even though they are out studying or working and nothing more?
                            regardless of whether it is permissible or not, it is not "study or working and nothing more"

It is studying, working, shopping, going out with friends, meeting new people, taking the transit, walking home, etc. etc. etc.
                            Are you planning on shampooing these dirty koalas?

Comment

Originally posted by Areeb55 View Post
                              Yes it is permissible.
                              Are you planning on shampooing these dirty koalas?

Comment

Working...
                              X