Financial Decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financial Decisions

Should the husband have the final say? Is that what happens in your marriage? How do you guys make financial decisions - who makes the ultimate decision and what happens when you disagree with the spouse?

Common examples would be investing money and gaining interest where one party may feel that's haraam the other one not, and things like taking the wife's money that she earns and making decisions on how to allocate that money.
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Re: Financial Decisions

Both. Well, a lot of mutual respect and trust has prevented any disagreement, so far.

Comment

Duh!!!! Husband offcourse!!! Woman go nut when she go to bazaar....spend all the money.
      Insulting and inflammatory signatures are not allowed, but posts are

Comment

Men ! but that doesnt mean aap apni wife ko decision ni lene do ya usko decisions mein shamil na kro
        My Attitude :
        If you want to say bad things about me behind my back,
        Come in front of me, I'll tell you more 3:)

Comment

They should be made with mutual agreement. Trust and respect is the key.
          Last edited by Lusi; Aug 19, 2013, 01:07 AM.
          May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
          Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
          Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

Well I advise him, He always takes suggestions from me. And believe me most of the time he agrees and follows too. So I far as I think. It’s all mutual understanding and relationship couple are having. If husband think his wife can lead him rightly.

Comment

financial decisions are by mutual agreement for us.
              we have joint everything ... checking , savings, investments etc...
              No one seeks permission of other before spending ... but we both end up telling each other what we bought anyways , as a general part of daily conversation/catchup at the end of a day.
              yea we tease each other about how .... ya allah ... mujhey gareeb ker diya! et c... we have a good laugh and thats thats.
              Big item purchases happen together always.
              in case of disagreements ... the decision gets put away for a few days ... we both think it over and at times I've rethought and changed my mind to agree with him and other times he has.

marital life isnt about a constant power struggle pcg! ... its more about keeping each other happy, which btw happens automatically if you care for your partner to begin with. let go of the small stuff (even some of the big stuff) and let yourself be happy. life is too short.

mera ishq hai meri zindagi, mera ishq hai meri bandagi
              mujhe aashiqon mein shumarr kar, muje aashiqi ka silaa na dey

Comment

Only if the husband is a pseudo Warren Buffet. If you disagree on whether investing is haram or not, that's a whole different issue. But from my parents' marriage at least, investment decisions are made together but my mom trusts my dad since he happens to know more about the topic.

That said, there have definitely been financial decisions that my dad and I thought made sense, but made my mother uncomfortable, which were not carried out.

Is this about how the decision is made or the decision itself? Sometimes, a person has an issue with the way the conclusion was reached. Even if the husband makes the decisions, there is a difference between running it by his wife, and making the decision and letting her know as an fyi. She may agree in both cases, but the former shows more respect.
                If a man speaks in a forest and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?

Comment

i think it should be discussed together and hopefully make a mutual decision together. but what do i know..my parents make all my financial decisions for me

Comment

Originally posted by delhi2lahorekarachi View Post
                    i think it should be discussed together and hopefully make a mutual decision together. but what do i know..my parents make all my financial decisions for me
                    Rocketsocket i think you should do an amne samne on gupshup voice gallery. kya khayal hai

Comment

This is from the info given in another thread but I really want to hear from the wives who don't know how much their hubbies make... And/or are not aware of all their assets.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha21 View Post
                        This is from the info given in another thread but I really want to hear from the wives who don't know how much their hubbies make... And/or are not aware of all their assets.
                        In these situation there are more important things to consider than incomes and resources.

Comment

I'll consult her about most things but the final say is mine. I'm overall better at being able to make financial decisions, particularly for the long term. Whatever she has/earns, I encourage her to save it and not spend it on the bills. Apart from some suggestions, I don't have any say in what she earns or what she owns.
                          Tell your assassin to aim for her head...because she doesn't have a heart.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia View Post
                            Should the husband have the final say? Is that what happens in your marriage? How do you guys make financial decisions - who makes the ultimate decision and what happens when you disagree with the spouse?

Common examples would be investing money and gaining interest where one party may feel that's haraam the other one not, and things like taking the wife's money that she earns and making decisions on how to allocate that money.
                            My Husband. And its because I trust him more than me. I trust his decisions. Though he never forgets to take suggestions from me but still I give him upper hand on taking any decision because I believe, the decision he will take, will benefit both of us in any terms. And it does. This does not only applicable on financial issues, but most of the times, anything.

Doesn't mean we don't disagree at times, we do..sometimes... but what I have learnt from these years I have spent with him is, what he says, eventually turns out to be right.

Secondly, never had to bother about your money my money. Whatever I earn, he never asks but when he needs cash in hand (and doesn't want to use the card for small amounts) he asks me for the cash (because usually I keep the change). I never ask him back to repay me the amount, sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't and I really don't care because I never felt any difference between his money and my money.. because he doesn't care while paying for what I shop. He always prioritize my necessities
                            So dear I love him that with him, All deaths I could endure. Without him, live no life.
                            William Shakespeare

Comment

That's easy - the person who's better at managing the finances.

When I was growing up, it was always my mum who had the final say. My parents have always discussed every financial decision together and generally arrive at something that suits both of them, but when they can't, my dad usually lets my mum take the lead. Not because of any sentimental reason, but simply because she's better at handling money. He overspends; she can strike a balance between investing and spending. So it's kind of logical that she makes the final decision.

Me and my guy, we mutually decide what we need, prioritize things we need to purchase, and then we pool in what we earn. There's no clear-cut 50-50 deal, but that's kinda of how it naturally works out. So if we need, say, a microwave, I'll purchase it and if next month we need a dishwasher, he'll get it. But deciding what to send money on - no matter if it's his or mine - is always a mutual decision, unless it's a gift or a surprise or something like that.

For decisions like which place to purchase from, if/ where to invest, I let him take the lead in things he's better at it, and he lets me take the lead in things I'm better at. So if we're renovating, he'll let me handle the finances because I know where we can get the best deals. If it's a mutual fund, I'll let him make a decision because he's actually practicing finance, so he knows a lot more. So even with us, it's kind of what I grew up watching my parents do - talk things over to get a wider picture/ more perspective (a lot of the times, we haven't thought about certain aspects that a partner can point out) but, once you do have the full picture in front of you, whoever's better at making a certain kind of financial decision should be the one to make it.

As for disagreements - they always happen, but we don't get riled up or angry over it. We have a rule: no shouting or raising voices, no matter how frustrated we get. ;p I explain my side of the picture to him, and he explains his to me. What I've seen is, most people go into an argument with the aim of convincing the other person that they're right. We try to do things differently, by actually considering what the other is saying. Generally, we're able to find a middle ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X