Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But Judge We Do

But judge we do - DAWN.COM

Taken from a dawn blog article. Are people seriously bringing their maids to wait on their kids in restaurants in Pakistan??

I don't remember seeing that growing up, is that some new thing? How awful! I don't think I'd be able to eat seeing poor girls sitting next to tables waiting on the kids and not even being part of the meal.

Pakistani society has gotten super disgusting.
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

But Judge We Do

I see it in Karachi all the time...the maid goes EVERYWHERE with the family to watch the kid(s)....shopping..restaurants...dawats

Comment

Re: But Judge We Do

Seriously? I've never seen this, well, at least never noticed it. But we also didn't go out much for fear that I'd get kidnapped, and we also don't have maids that stay with our families full time. Everyone takes care of their own kids, and maasi comes to help with morning safai at most.

I went to Pakistan and when I got to my daadi's house, my family there made sure that I had brought gifts for her, and that I sat and talked to her for a bit and then before leaving I was asked to give her some extra cash. I felt awful about her washing my clothes, felt it was not right to have her wash my undergarments so I did that myself.

Urgh.

Comment

PCG..you'll be surprised. I have even seen same some posh Pakistani familities here doing same in Canada with having filipino maids. Why am i saying that..well..i have been to couple of dinners like that..where some other family had to bring their filipino maids.
        "Har Koi Deta Hai Zakham Gin Gin Kay ....
        Mein Kis Kis Zakham Ko Apna Naseeb Samjhoon"
        By Royal Gala

Comment

Interesting thread. I knew this already existed in super rich families in Pakistan. A lot of middle, upper middle class have maids but they don't take them everywhere. There are a lot of families in Mirpur who takes their maids everywhere even their families. PCG, it all depends on families as some respect their maids a lot, treating them like family while others are just opposite. So taking them out can be seen from different perspective.

Comment

I think it is gud to take ur maid with u...for the maid's own sake
            Firstly if I am keeping a girl to help look after my kids..I would look after her too And Not leave her alone at home.specially at night (When dawats or dinners happen) why firstlt because its not safe for a girl to be home alone.secondly because maids Also deserve to have Some outing

Comment

Except this article describes how they're kept to a side, not allowed to sit with their matrons at the restaurant table, and not offered food...

Comment

I saw this at a wedding once. Those people were obviously several rungs above us on the socioeconomic ladder. Maid took care of the kids, while the parents mingled. The maid did get to eat though.

Comment

There is a news story almost every month, where some kid is tortured/killed by the lady of the house. These desi aunties can really be sadists....
                  Insulting and inflammatory signatures are not allowed, but posts are

Comment

lolx, apko bht late pta lga iska :/
                    My Attitude :
                    If you want to say bad things about me behind my back,
                    Come in front of me, I'll tell you more 3:)

Comment

Yea its true. Happens all the time. Extremely sad.

Comment

So sad. Ridiculous.

Comment

To be fair taking maids everywhere with you is pretty common in the middle east too, so you can't just blame pakistanis. I've seen maids go with arab families on vacation to London, Malaysia, wherever they go. That being said I don't think the maids couldn't eat, they just had to take care of the kids while eating which is obviously tough. Believe the point is that the mum can eat in peace.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia View Post
                            But judge we do - DAWN.COM

Taken from a dawn blog article. Are people seriously bringing their maids to wait on their kids in restaurants in Pakistan??

I don't remember seeing that growing up, is that some new thing? How awful! I don't think I'd be able to eat seeing poor girls sitting next to tables waiting on the kids and not even being part of the meal.

Pakistani society has gotten super disgusting.
                            Even if we estimate generously, those who can afford a full time maid in Pakistan are less than five percent of entire population, and not everyone who can afford something necessarily goes on to have it. Then there always are some decent people like OP who treat their servants well, no matter how bad the norms become.

So we are left with 1 to 2 % of Pakistanis, all rich, who lately have started ill-treating their servants which obviously is a pathetic trait. But this minority doesn't represent or portray Pakistani society as a whole as its mindset and lifestyle is totally different from the poor and middle class Pakistani people.

I hardly get a chance to meet the elite. Do not often visit multinational fast food chains or multiple starred restaurants so not sure to what extent this story is correct. What I am certain about is, a great majority of the common people are yet to adopt this shameful behavior.

The moral of the speech is, a handful of wealthy families' indecencies do not give us the right to negatively generalize an entire society with superlatives.

Comment

I have seen it even 12-13 years ago, in middle high class families. The family was invited at my sisters wedding. Lady entered the hall with maid following her, holding the back of gharara of the lady from dragging it on the ground
                              People are afraid of what they don't understand

Comment

Working...
                              X