Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving back to Pakistan?

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 and currently living with my parents in Italy,I was born and raised here. I have some questions about living there because I'm considering moving back there for 2 years with my mum.

1. Last year I went to PK for 6 months. I felt a little "suffocated" when I was there. I'll explain myself,my grandad (mum's dad) is a chairman of a major company and all of my mamu's are well-known businessman's as well,and some people are always trying to find something bad about our family so they can give our family a bad name.. I'm used to have a good amount of male friends or going out at night and I feel like if I do something like this there I might ruin my family's reputation. But I still want to go to a Pakistani college and live the experience that my cousin's are living.

Another main problems is that I can't read or write urdu.I'm fluent in Italian,English (but I still make some grammar mistakes :/),Spanish and German but I guess that doesn't mean anything in PK. Is it possible in school's to choose to not do Urdu classes or are they a must?

2. Is living in PK expensive? We don't live in ISB,Karachi or Lahore but it's still one of the main cities in PK. When we stayed there for 6 months we spent about 19/20 lakhs even tough we lived in my grandad's house. But it was because we went out to eat at least 2/3 times a week and we always took with us the whole family and my mum always paid the bill. My dad isn't a businessman like my grandad or his sons so I don't want to "pressurize" him by asking too much.

We'll have to have a security guard because it's just two of us and last time I went I had guys following me till home or harassing me so my dad thinks it's not safe without a security guard.

Do you think is 1lakh a month enough for 2 people? We do have our own house and it's a double storey one so we might rent the second story to someone else (since it's just me and my mum and the house is too big just for 2 people) and that's about +15-20k we're getting.

And of course when we'll live there we won't take everyone out with us every time because that's just too much,one thing is visiting and another one is living there on a budget.

3. And last question,when we went last time we gave 5k/10k at every relatives house,even those who are not so close to us. (like my dad's khala's daughter's son) and for really close relatives we gave about 15-20k to everyone. And we even brought gifts from here. We "spent" more than 3.50 lakhs just on people. Do you think that is necessary to give so much money EVERY time we go??? Considering this time we are going to live there and not just visit.
    Last edited by Aimen07; Aug 12, 2013, 10:44 AM.

Re: Moving back to Pakistan?

I think you were more of a tourist 6 months ago (doing touristy things) but when you move back the expenditure will significantly come down. This time don't go around throwing money at every relative you spot. (Spoilers) It reminded me of the new episode of breaking bad. I think you also control your expenditure and make a budget.

Comment

Originally posted by RocketSocket View Post
      This time don't go around throwing money at every relative you spot. (Spoilers) It reminded me of the new episode of breaking bad.
      Haii waan fraanshaap?

Comment

Originally posted by RocketSocket View Post
        I think you were more of a tourist 6 months ago (doing touristy things) but when you move back the expenditure will significantly come down. This time don't go around throwing money at every relative you spot. (Spoilers) It reminded me of the new episode of breaking bad. I think you also control your expenditure and make a budget.

Haha,I didn't throw money at every relative I spotted. My dad has this mentality that when you visit PK you have to give a certain amount of money to someone or give them a big gift because they expect us to do it? IDK I never understood this thing.

Comment

Living in Pakistan can be as expensive as you want. If you are gonna go out all the time and treat everyone, shop all the time, keep guards with you 24/7, give cash gifts to all relatives, etc those things will all add up. So it's really up to you and your family how you want it to be.

Armed guards will probably run you a few thousand per guard per day. But it's best you check with someone who lives there for the accurate price.
          Haii waan fraanshaap?

Comment

No need to give money to relatives...since you would be living.....about urdu, it depends on where and what you want to study.......only then you can be given advice........ you people sound like rich folk....so 1 Lakh could be just enough if you control your expenses........ Seems like you in Faisalabad?? or sialkot?
            Insulting and inflammatory signatures are not allowed, but posts are

Comment

Originally posted by ButtSb View Post
              No need to give money to relatives...since you would be living.....about urdu, it depends on where and what you want to study.......only then you can be given advice........ you people sound like rich folk....so 1 Lakh could be just enough if you control your expenses........ Seems like you in Faisalabad?? or sialkot?

I want to go to Punjab College since its rated one of the best colleges in PK and most of my relatives studied/are studying there.
              No we are not rich haha,I just come from a family where everyone has worked hard and their work paid off and I think luck played a big part in this too.
              I don't want to say where in PK I'm from,sorrryyy

Comment

I dont understand where you got the idea of showering money on relatives.

Comment

Apart from Punjab college, you might want to consider other colleges in Lahore or ISB. You want to stay and study here in Pak, right? So, do opt for a reputable institute whose degree would hold some credit or value when u go back for higher education . Even the Lahore college for women(now a uni) and kinnaird college for women uni are one of the best for quality education and both are all girls institutes.
                  Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: "We believe," and will not be tested.(al-Ankabut)

Comment

Dude which grade and what subjects do you want to study? and what is your existing school certification? Because you are going to have to get all those equivalence and stuff ......that can be quite complicated.

Punjab College you mean Punjab College of Commerce? or Punjab Medical College?

Comment

That was so creepy, it was great!
                      How do you organise a space party? You planet.

Comment

Dude which grade and what subjects do you want to study? and what is your existing school certification? Because you are going to have to get all those equivalence and stuff ......that can be quite complicated.

Punjab College you mean Punjab College of Commerce? or Punjab Medical College?
                        Punjab college of commerce. Currently I'm studying foreign languages. (All subjects: Math,Philosophy,Latin,England's History,Italian History,Spanish History,Germany's history,Art history,Natural Science,Chemistry,Physics,Geography,Spanish,German ,English and Italian.) Admission won't be a problem since as I said my family back there is well known and I just need to tell my grandad to talk to the school principal.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                          I dont understand where you got the idea of showering money on relatives.
                          Uhm,what do you mean?

Comment

Its not onlyl school dependent. You will need equivalence to get registered for Board Exams...

Comment

You are not likely to get useful advice here because you will find only has-been Pakistani people on this site who have no Idea about life in Pakistan. For these has-beens, Pakistan is a tourist destination they visit after a few years. Some of the people are kids from Parents who were basically nobody's in Pakistan and have migrated elsewhere. I myself was born and educated in Europe and only went to Pakistan every 4 or 5 years. Knew only French and basic Urdu. At the age of 20 I heard a remark from an uncle claiming that second generation Pakistani's cannot move back and settle in Pakistan. I thought he was wrong and In order to prove him wrong I perfected my Urdu and shifted to Islamabad. Got my first job within 20 days of reaching there. Within 6 months I got a car and within 1 year I shifted into a 3 bedroom house. I read and write Urdu better than people born in Pakistan. If you feel suffocated then my first advice is surround yourself with people with your background. Yes it is news for the Half-Pakistani's that there are thousands and thousands of Foreign returned Pakistani's. All the people running the top companies are mostly from people returning from USA, Europe, Middle East. Pakistan is expensive but certainly cheaper than Italy. Since you are not in the largest 3 cities, then your rental expense will be cheaper than Italy, your food will be cheaper, transport will be cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X