How to approch family- bangladeshi marrying a pakistani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to approch family- bangladeshi marrying a pakistani

OK, as the title states. I will be getting a proposal from a bangladeshi guy, i'm pakistani myself. I'm just wondering whether standards have changed, i mean my parents are quite liberal, but i am not sure how they will react.

I come from a family who has never actively gone to seek rishta's or never has there been any for me. I'm 29 now, so for asain standards I should be happy with whatever i get, well you'd think.

Anyway, my parents are elderly, in their 70's. The guy that will be asking for rishta is very self sufficent, good hearted and good looking. However, i'm worried that my parents will disagree to the fact he is bengladeshi. If on the first meeting he is rejected, I don't mind waiting, however, would want to know how to convince them he is the one.

thanks, and sorry for the long post!

Re: How to approch family- bangladeshi marrying a pakistani

I hope you or your family members don't belong to jamat-e-islami
    Do not judge me by my PAST , I dont live there anymore

Comment

No, we are not....

Comment

Originally posted by LittleRocket View Post
        OK, as the title states. I will be getting a proposal from a bangladeshi guy, i'm pakistani myself. I'm just wondering whether standards have changed, i mean my parents are quite liberal, but i am not sure how they will react.

I come from a family who has never actively gone to seek rishta's or never has there been any for me. I'm 29 now, so for asain standards I should be happy with whatever i get, well you'd think.

Anyway, my parents are elderly, in their 70's. The guy that will be asking for rishta is very self sufficent, good hearted and good looking. However, i'm worried that my parents will disagree to the fact he is bengladeshi. If on the first meeting he is rejected, I don't mind waiting, however, would want to know how to convince them he is the one.

so you think this is a long post, welcome to GS.
        RV is BA!

Comment

you wanna know how to approach?

ok, approach them from ALL sides! left, right, front, back, up N down!

laRkaa kahiiN se nikal kar jaane na paaye!
          Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
          16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

Have you considered talking to your parents before the guy actually comes with the proposal? Just to get an idea where your parents stand on the issue, and they will also get a heads up. Rather than the bangladeshi guy showing up with his parents and being embarrassed by your parents immediate reaction/ disapproval.

Also, don't marry him just because you think he is your last resort. Marry him because you like him and want to spend your life with him. It'll be easier to convince your parents if you are convinced yourself.

Good luck!
            "Go where you’re celebrated, not where you’re tolerated.”

Comment

Try to steer conversations away if y'all start talking about history.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleRocket View Post

Your parents might have issues with that if they get a surprise visit. Its best to tell them before the guy actually shows up. If you have siblings, talk to them first and have them on your side. Then talk to your parents one by one. If you can involve a close relative or a friend may be, that can be helpful as well.
                The Way of those on whom You have bestowed Your Grace, not of those who earned Your Anger, nor of those who went astray. (Al-Fatihah)

Comment

Hi guys

Sorry i have not made clear, yes i plan on telling my parents or atleast my mum before he arrives. I've known the guy for a long time, but was hesitant and made a few demands if he wants to marry then needs to improve his job prospects and become more self sufficent, which he has.

Also, interms of treating him as a last resort- i will not be doing that, however, hoping my parents see it that way and agree to the marriage.

All my siblings live away and are much older than me. Once this topic was raised with one of them she was very angry about it, however, at that age i was 24, so i was treated as a baby who wasn't able to make up their own mind anyway.

anyone had any real relative or personal experience. I will not be eloping, however I am willing to wait as long as it takes, will be harder to convince my dad than my mother.

Comment

Working...
                  X