Are we known by the company we keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we known by the company we keep?

How much does our choice of friends reflect upon us? Do our friends' good or bad deeds reflect on us as well?

And does it matter if our friends are Muslim (and therefore expected to adhere to certain morals and ideals) or non-Muslim (and therefore subject to as different set of values that reflect their own religious/social values). Please comment.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy shoes and that's kinda the same thing...

Re: Are we known by the company we keep?

I don't have any non-muslim friends.
    I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot.

Comment

Some of my non-muslim friends have better morals and have kinder hearts than my muslim friends.

Comment

^ without a doubt many non-Muslims are more pious and kind than Muslims. But I personally find that certain behaviours I would find unacceptable for Muslims, I don't judge a non-Muslim for because it's not considered a sin or wrong according to their religious or social values.
        You can't buy happiness, but you can buy shoes and that's kinda the same thing...

Comment

First a friend should be a good human being which has morals,values, respect.
          "The point is Allah. And everything besides Allah, is besides the point."

Comment

depends on what percentage of friends are screwed up.......if its majority of ur friends...then yes...if only a few..... that doesn't reflect on ur morals...........
            Marr te gaye aaN ........per Chassss aaa gai A

Comment

depends on how screwed one's life is.

I personally find it pretty hard to keep up with non-Muslim friends mainly because friendship is lot about socialization and in most of the cases my socialization tool are different than theirs.
              Goyan keshk aqbat taskeen ast...Awal shor ast aqbat namkeen ast
              Har chanz aasiyat sang zeerey...Ee surat-e-beqrar barbin ast

Comment

Originally posted by Sehrysh View Post
                How much does our choice of friends reflect upon us? Do our friends' good or bad deeds reflect on us as well?
                Originally posted by NomiCA View Post
                depends on what percentage of friends are screwed up.......if its majority of ur friends...then yes...if only a few..... that doesn't reflect on ur morals...........
                This.
                Just because you have an avocado .................doesn't mean you have guacamole

Comment

The company you keep can be somewhat related to your circumstances too right. If your options are limited then unless you choose to have no friends at all you might have to make friends with people who you don't see eye to eye with on a lot of issues but whom you can still get along on some level. I typically keep friends who have similar values to me but that being said I do have a few friends whose lifestyles I don't agree with but who make it up for it by having a lot of other great qualities.

Comment

Depends on how much you allow others to influence you.

Comment

I'm sarcastic because it is the body's natural defense against stupid.

Comment

well that can be true if you are one of the clan. Birds of same feather flock together. That being said, it is equally disgraceful to tag someone only because 'one' of their friends were like that, if we point at others in that sense we are giving others an idea of our own mentality and code of conduct too. Great people think great and if you are too occupied minding others business, well, everyone has got a mirror. Havent we?
                        Let the Sea be my mother, and the Moon my father;
                        I will swim with the mermaids forever thereafter....

Comment

Also by the company you don't keep. If you're not hanging around the cool crowd...then you're a LOSER!

Comment

haha you girls are awesome.
                            Originally posted by mirage View Post
                            well that can be true if you are one of the clan. Birds of same feather flock together. That being said, it is equally disgraceful to tag someone only because 'one' of their friends were like that, if we point at others in that sense we are giving others an idea of our own mentality and code of conduct too. Great people think great and if you are too occupied minding others business, well, everyone has got a mirror. Havent we?
                            Originally posted by redvelvet View Post
                            Also by the company you don't keep. If you're not hanging around the cool crowd...then you're a LOSER!
                            I'm sarcastic because it is the body's natural defense against stupid.

Comment

hain? how do we deserve a shabash here? :halo:
                              Let the Sea be my mother, and the Moon my father;
                              I will swim with the mermaids forever thereafter....

Comment

Working...
                              X