Arghhh help with sister in law wot shud I do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arghhh help with sister in law wot shud I do

My SIL went on holiday to a place which is cheap to buy stuff from and all she got me was a fridge magnet. I said to her couldn't you have got me something for even a fiver that liked. And she said there was nothing in that country to buy . I've been informed by a reliable source exactly what she bought. She knows and acknowledged in the past that we have the same taste as each other and she is clear that I hate designer stuff so I am easy to buy for .

I don't ask her to get something for me in each country either as I know some countries are expensive but this one is definitely not. Thing is if I went on holiday and saw something I liked that's not where I live I start thinking about automatically buying one for my mum and SIL. Tell me how to handle this as I m really upset

Re: Arghhh help with sister in law wot shud I do

Be grateful she thought of you and got you something. This is definitely nothing to be upset about, or have a hissy fit over.

I understand your upset, and you would like to be treated the same way as you would treat others, but people have different thoughts going through their heads, like not spending too much on gifts. We all have budgets for these things, and maybe hers was tight.
    Being a princess is a full-time job, but someone has to do it.
    Always laugh when you can. It is cheaper than medicine…

Comment

Just to add I know the above sounds trivial but it's the tip of the iceberg not matter wot I do she doesn't like me. This is the first time I said wot I said above otherwise I usually keep quiet and let things pass.

Comment

Wow.
        “I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot. ”

Comment

Who cares? I don't see how this matters in the least. You're her bhabi, not her mother.

Why does it matter what she got you?
          Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

errrr
            ppl are not required to gift each other.
            if you really don't like current gift exchange format ... then change it! .... as in don't buy her anything either.

mera ishq hai meri zindagi, mera ishq hai meri bandagi
            mujhe aashiqon mein shumarr kar, muje aashiqi ka silaa na dey

Comment

Originally posted by Reha View Post
              Who cares? I don't see how this matters in the least. You're her bhabi, not her mother.

Why does it matter what she got you?
              Think it's bothering me bcos she expects me to believe that it is too expensive to buy stuff there says she bought nothing but then says yes by the way I bought x by the way I bought y and then oh yes a, b, c and so on. Y is buying me a magnet if she's telling me
              conflicting stuff. Would have been better if she didn't even get me a magnet. Maybe my issue is that I like to think of her as a sister and not sister in law

Comment

Originally posted by msis View Post
                Think it's bothering me bcos she expects me to believe that it is too expensive to buy stuff there says she bought nothing but then says yes by the way I bought x by the way I bought y and then oh yes a, b, c and so on. Y is buying me a magnet if she's telling me
                conflicting stuff. Would have been better if she didn't even get me a magnet. Maybe my issue is that I like to think of her as a sister and not sister in law

Well, even my sister isn't really required to gift me things. Gifts are not obligations...they're gifts...optional.

Your expectations are wayyyy too high.

Comment

I can't believe you confronted her about it.

Comment

i think a gift is NOT about it's value but rather about someone who thought about you as an important person in his/her life. i agree that one must NOT be cheap. however, having said that, the recipient of the gift must be thankful and accept graciously.

next time when you go on a trip buy her a more expensive gift and, hopefully, she will realize that she should give you a gift at least at par with yours...

...for now, be cool, accept it gracefully and move on!
                    Life is NOT measured by the number of breaths we take but the moments that take our breath away!!!
                    16 breaths a minute, 23040 a day...NO one knows which one will be their LAST!

Comment

This is why desies get high blood pressure people

Comment

Originally posted by msis View Post
                        My SIL went on holiday to a place which is cheap to buy stuff from and all she got me was a fridge magnet. I said to her couldn't you have got me something for even a fiver that liked. And she said there was nothing in that country to buy . I've been informed by a reliable source exactly what she bought. She knows and acknowledged in the past that we have the same taste as each other and she is clear that I hate designer stuff so I am easy to buy for .

I don't ask her to get something for me in each country either as I know some countries are expensive but this one is definitely not. Thing is if I went on holiday and saw something I liked that's not where I live I start thinking about automatically buying one for my mum and SIL. Tell me how to handle this as I m really upset

Well next time buy something similar, don't go crazy over buying things...simple as that!
                        May Allah bring peace in Pakistan. Ameen
                        Aray Logo Tumhara Kiya
                        Main Jano Mera, Mera Khuda janay-

Comment

Originally posted by Khalil KhaaN FaaKhta View Post
                          i think a gift is NOT about it's value but rather about someone who thought about you as an important person in his/her life. i agree that one must NOT be cheap. however, having said that, the recipient of the gift must be thankful and accept graciously.

next time when you go on a trip buy her a more expensive gift and, hopefully, she will realize that she should give you a gift at least at par with yours...

...for now, be cool, accept it gracefully and move on!
                          In the past I have done as you suggested but not on a trip ie got something I thought she would like and it wasn't cheap. I had said to her if you dint like I will return it and get what u want. She didn't thank me until after 3 weeks and then after 3 mnths said she didn't like it to another member of the family and asked them to ask me if she could return it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lusi View Post
                            Well next time buy something similar, don't go crazy over buying things...simple as that!
                            Yes I think I will do that the next time

Comment

magnet seriously??

u should gift her a lota next time......
                              Marr te gaye aaN ........per Chassss aaa gai A

Comment

Working...
                              X