How did your rishta come about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did your rishta come about?

I was speaking to a few friends about their rishta's and how they finally came to be engaged/married. We realised that even in a traditional set up, where the 2 people are initially completley unknown to one other, it varied greatly in terms of how many meetings it took to finalise the rishta and set the date etc.

So I wondered what it was like for everyone else, how did you first meet you're partner, how many times did you meet your in-laws and vice versa before things were finalised. How did you feel throughout the process etc.

The reason I'm asking is, my parent's are looking for someone for me, and have been for some time, and although plenty of people have come over, nothing has ever progressed, so I'm just intrigued to know what would happen once a guy actually said he liked me?

Re: How did your rishta come about?

I had some rishtai from pakistan and uk, but didnt like the guys, n didnt want to marry a freshie, then my uncle asked for my rishta and I said yeeh, but was still a little unsure cause he was my cousin!!
    We then started chatting on the phone, like everyday and then we got married, he wanted to meet me but I said noooooo, I was like, u can get to know me on the phone, cause I felt uncomfortable. ( I was a sidi sadi )
    anyways we got married and mashalla all is well and it has worked out the only problem was when our family had a problem we felt we were getting dragged from one side to the other, but then we stopped gettin involved with the problems n told them how we felt!!

Comment

Im not married yet but the guy we're thinking about was introduced through family friends to my parents.

He seems pretty nice so far.
      Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

So how many times have you met this guy? Or have you even met him yet?

Comment

Ive met his mother and seen him. I talked to him on the phone a few times also.

At this point, the families are simply allowing us to talk and see if we like each other.

We might end up meeting soon.
          Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames. ~ Rumi

Comment

when my sister got married a lot of rishtay's came to our house (in Pak) and you know the same old process of the girl getting ready and meeting the family well she did and finally my family liked them and they liked our family and of course my sister...... so then they showed my sister the guy's picture (he couldn't be there cuz he was in uk at the time) my sister didn't have a problem and she said ok! so my dad was in the U.S and on the way to Pak he stopped in u.k saw and met the guy and told us that he liked him too!!!! so blah blah blah and they finally got married..... there happy and have an adorableeeeee baby!!!!!

Comment

Thats nice MashAllah...

Well in my case too its a family thing hez my cousin, we know each other since childhood...
              Parents had fixed the rishta.. we were totally fine with it, Alhumdulilah.. yup we talk on the phone only, no meetings(datings) lol... so,hoping to b together soon InshAllah..

Comment

...with the bill.
                ...baat jisame, pyaar to hai, zehar bhi hai.

Comment

Originally posted by Orpheus View Post
                  ...with the bill.
                  Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.

Comment

Originally posted by PSquared View Post
                    Ive met his mother and seen him. I talked to him on the phone a few times also.

At this point, the families are simply allowing us to talk and see if we like each other.

We might end up meeting soon.

hy, PS im going through the same thing too at the moment...

Comment

The formal rishta's are not nice! The poor girl getting dressed-up and bringing-in the tea trolley etc!
                      ..all you need is trust and a little bit of pixie dust!

Comment

^ does tht still happen, i thought tht happens only in bollywood movies...

Comment

It happens all over the world.. =)

Comment

I completely agree. How come you are so smart?

Comment

The way a guys mom checks-out a girl is insulting.. sometimes even the questions they ask! They want a fair, slim, pretty,tall, educated daughter inlaw...when their son cud be God's "gift"

There was a wonderful program on such "aunties" who wanted the perfect DIL's and thier sons were...errr the total opposites to what they wanted in a girl.

Geo Hina Ke Saath, I think it was..

Comment

Working...
                              X