Pakistanis and Ghee: The Eternal Love Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistanis and Ghee: The Eternal Love Story

I just found out some distant relative in our family has had a heart attack. He is 36 years old. He has one daughter who is like maybe 1 years old, if that.

We're all very surprised about how many stories we're hearing of young guys getting heart attacks. I just DO NOT understand why there is not more health education in Pakistan, especially nutritional education. People are eating out all the time out there, especially if they have money. All the ghee that gets put into the food, and not to mention the fact that its become an actual fashion out there to eat really late at night - like after 12.

Whenever I've gone to resteraunts and seen the huge tikkas and kababs, I just wonder why these people don't tone down on the gosht?

I swear. Three careers in Pakistan that you just will always make money with:

1. Butcher
    2. Cardiologist
    3. Cardiac Surgeon
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Re: Pakistanis and Ghee: The Eternal Love Story

true pcg. i have two friends, who are yet to turn 25, who have had angina type pains and have had raised ECG results.
    Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

People in their mid-20s having heart problems already?

Btw... my left upper arm has been hurting a few times everyday since last week.

Comment

I know. I get pain right under my left boob. Almost can't breathe for a while. Although the heart is more towards the middle of the chest.

And i dont even have that much ghee food anymore. But up until I was a teenager, we used to cook everything using ghee (shortening)

Comment

I experience that kind of pain every once in a while. However, I guess it's quite normal for me, as I have sinusitis. It feels as if someone has jammed a cardboard inside, but it usually goes away, alhamdulillah.

We cook in vegetable oil at home, but I eat out a lot. For instance, I had poutine, a chicken sandwich and pop (I could've had water instead) this afternoon. I took a nap right after. Got up, felt sick. Later on I had a couple of pieces of mithai and then dinner a few hours later.

Comment

That's nothing. You know what I had for lunch. Its so bad, because I think I'm actually gaining weight now that I'm sitting at home for a while.

I had :

bun kabab
            turky sandwich
            seikh kabab
            aloo samosa.

Mind you, the only thing I made was the turkey sandwich. The other desi stuff I bought from the masjid. So I dont know what they cooked that stuff in.

Comment

It sort of feels comforting to hear that I'm not the only one who eats away like crazy.

Comment

Itna khaogi tu dard tu hoga

Masjid main log numaaz parhney jata hai our ye khaney peeney ki cheezain utha ke le aati hai.

So the research is true, most of the americans are obese
                Bazinggaaaa ....

Comment

..till 1960's meat was rarely consumed in Pakistan.. people usually had meat once a week..but mass meat eating events at parties, marriages etc. escalated in 1970's and its now a custom and tradition to consume meat as much as possible..

Secondly, life is much faster now, irreugular eating is a routine.. domestic pressure have increased.. young people are under far more pressure to succeed in career or to earn for material comforts..
                  Saints are fine for Heaven, but they are hell on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia
                    I
                    Whenever I've gone to resteraunts and seen the huge tikkas and kababs, I just wonder why these people don't tone down on the gosht?
                    Cos other stuff doesn't taste as good.
                    Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                    Al-Ghazali

Comment

Girls what you are feeling around your arms and neck might be just pain for shortness of breath. I have it once in a while too and sometimes its really bad becuz i can't breath also. And it always happens to me when i am under stress and have too much in my mind. I went to see a doctor, he gave me some kind of pills for relaxation I have used it only once..it didn't feel effective though..maybe i have to use the whole bottle.

Comment

I read ur title. Ran to the kitchen. got a spoon. and ate some butter and sugar
                        rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band

Comment

pCg - 36 is a rather young age, but how do u know for sure he had a heart attack? In Pakistan any heart related problems that occur are said to be of "heart-attack" nature. He could've had undetected heart problems, that could've been congenital. He could've been predisposed to having heart problems b/c maybe it runs in the family? I don't know there could be a gazillion other things. You are definitely right about lack of education in terms of healthy eating in Pakistan, that's something that needs major work on.
                          Save Pakistan.

Comment

i wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that some paki guys start balding in their 20s. when my dad was little, only meat was made at his house and if they made vegetables it was with meat. pakistan should also start to inform their people about the health problems involved with smoking.

Comment

There is a link between obseity and heart related illness, everyone knows that.

However CODE_RED, many people have been known to be a healthy weight, even underweight who eat once a day like the average Pakistani I know and STILL have heart problems. I know my husband LOVES curry and in order to do that properly, you need *drumroll* lots and lots of grease (ghee, whatever the pet name of the day is).

Breaking that habit of my husbands was crucial because the history of heart disease in his family (even though all are at or below weight). His high blood pressure is a testament to that.

Eating properly has everything to do with heart disease, weight has very little (unless your weight is caused by eating improperly). I have some extra pounds, but I rarely eat anything sweet or with oil or grease and I tend to have a vegetarian diet (not strict, by choice, love veggies). My blood pressure is very low and my heart strong.
                              ---------------------------
                              jackie - never mind smoking, what is it with that powdered tobacco they carry around in little packs wetted down and stick in their mouths by their teeth *UGH* disgusting....
                              "Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." - John F. Kennedy

"Someday we gonna rise up on that wind you know
                              Someday we gonna dance with those lions
                              Someday we gonna break free from these chains and keep on flyin'" - flipsyde

Comment

Working...
                              X