Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you go out of your way to help the disabled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you go out of your way to help the disabled?

I usually don't and that is only because I don't want them to feel that they are any different from me or anyone else who is not disabled.

For instance, if I see an individual in a wheelchair, I won't go rushing to the door to hold it for him/her, unless I happen to be in front of or right behind him/her and only in that case would I hold the door just like I would for anyone else.

I'm not sure how justified I am in my behaviour towards them. My intention is not to let them or anyone else (who stands out) feel that they are any different from the rest of us.

I have sort of been thinking about it since last week. We have a disabled student in our statistics class and I believe another student got up and helped him out by removing the chair to make room for his wheelchair. It at least got me looking his way, but then I turned around and continued with whatever it was that I was doing.

I am a little concerned as I'm not sure if I should be more helpful or if I should leave it as is.

Re: Do you go out of your way to help the disabled?

yea fo real...its like damned if u do damned if u dont...
    Adopt me Angelina.

Comment

^ you and your signitures, I swear.

Sadiyah, I totally know what you mean. I think your approach is fine. I do the same you do. Only one thing you might want to try. Flash them a smile when you look their way. No one sees that as pity-treatment. Smiles always make people feel fuzzy inside. Well, unless they are politicians.
      I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

"It's the same thing with the feminists. You know, they want everything to be equal... everything! But when the check comes, where are they?"
        Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

^ you stupid turd
          I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by PyariCgudia

SFlash them a smile when you look their way. No one sees that as pity-treatment. Smiles always make people feel fuzzy inside. Well, unless they are politicians.
            Good idea! I didn't think of it before. May be I can try it if I feel comfortable, insha'Allah.

Comment

nobody a seinfeld fan here i see..
              Din-e-Mullah fee sabeelillah fasad (Allama Iqbal)

Comment

Working...
              X