Four Wives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four Wives

What do you all think of the following translation of Quran's ayaats on the subject. Looks like the four wives theory in days of normalcy is not allowed.

4:3 If you fear that the society shall not be able to do justice with orphans, (as may happen in times of war and political turbulence, the government shall announce a state of Emergency). In order to accommodate widows and orphans, men of sound finances and character shall be encouraged to marry these widows; two, three, and four (4:127). If you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly, then you must not take additional wives, and may continue with what you already have (4:129). This will prevent injustice and financial hardship. (Second marriage during peace time is a FRANK violation of the Qur’an)

Re: Four Wives

Its pretty simple to me. You don't marry 4 pretty young things and have hot steamy sex. You marry your first wife and if you have money you marry a widow with kids and take care of her and her family.

This i forsee becoming an arab bashing thread.
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Although I don't entirely feel comfortable with multiple marriages. I do feel that this ruling is not limited to the war time alone.

I'm gonna try and get a precise answer, insha'Allah.

Comment

^.. that.. and one has to say that the translation is the quite odd. Its not word-for-word to say the least.

Now my question:
        (Second marriage during peace time is a FRANK violation of the Qur’an)
        How are multiple marriages during peace time a violation? In fact, there seems to be absolutely no 'ban' on the number that you can marry. The Quran does not restrict you anywhere. The quoted ayaah just seems to be sort of 'encouragement' (according to your translation) to marry more (upto 4) but ONLY during the times of war, since as you stated, these ayaahs are talking about WAR TIME ONLY!!. There is no such ban on other times then.. am i right??

I mean, where does the Quran state marry only one, cuz if the Quran does state marry only one, then this can be taken as an exception. Otherwise, i think we are free to marry as many as we want, but during war time, marry upto 4.. right?

At other places, the Quran does mention having multiple wives:

for e.g. take a look at (i'm sure you can notice that the word is in plural.. 'women', 'wives'.. بَيْنَ النِّسَاء.. 'between women'):

MUHSIN KHAN: You will never be able to do perfect justice between wives even if it is your ardent desire, so do not incline too much to one of them (by giving her more of your time and provision) so as to leave the other hanging (i.e. neither divorced nor married). And if you do justice, and do all that is right and fear Allâh by keeping away from all that is wrong, then Allâh is Ever Oft*Forgiving, Most Merciful.

YUSUFALI: Ye are never able to be fair and just as between women, even if it is your ardent desire: But turn not away (from a woman) altogether, so as to leave her (as it were) hanging (in the air). If ye come to a friendly understanding, and practise self-restraint, Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.

PICKTHAL: Ye will not be able to deal equally between (your) wives, however much ye wish (to do so). But turn not altogether away (from one), leaving her as in suspense. If ye do good and keep from evil, lo! Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.

SHAKIR: And you have it not in your power to do justice between wives, even though you may wish (it), but be not disinclined (from one) with total disinclination, so that you leave her as it were in suspense; and if you effect a reconciliation and guard (against evil), then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Comment

I have argued it before and I argue it now. As long as a woman is willing to marry someone who already has a wife or more, than who is the state or others to object? The emphasis should be on the problem of forced marriages, be it physically forced, emotionally forced or pure blackmail.
          I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
          - Robert McCloskey

Comment

That's a weird translation. The other translations I have read are different. I did not think that marrying 2nd, 3rd, or 4rth is only limited to orphans and widows. I thought you can take any females for multiple marriages.
            I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Why Cant ppl accept the fact that this is a right given to men from Allah...Accept it Man. It is the same Quran which takes some to unimaginable heights while others go astray...Subhan Allah.

Comment

Originally posted by CM
                Its pretty simple to me. You don't marry 4 pretty young things and have hot steamy sex. You marry your first wife and if you have money you marry a widow with kids and take care of her and her family.

This i forsee becoming an arab bashing thread.
                CM is right, that is the essence in which the 4 wives were allowed. However like any other verse/comment/statement people use it as a loophole. Eversince I found out about mutaa, I find that to be a much better option. Its like financing a car for life or getting a lease for a few years. I am more of lease person.
                Can you Hear me Now!! Good

Comment

I take it very simple. Instead of having one offical wife and rest all undercover, its better to have only four offical and nothing else.

This oppurtunity can also be taken to marry widow with kids and take care of her and her family and those without very good lucks and could get married for any of many reasons.
                  Allah humma lakal hamdo walakashukar....

Comment

Originally posted by DeSi_KuRi
                    Why Cant ppl accept the fact that this is a right given to men from Allah...Accept it Man. It is the same Quran which takes some to unimaginable heights while others go astray...Subhan Allah.
                    Oh My God,

I never ever in my life expected this kind of reply, even from the most religious and Devout Muslim woman (Assuming Desi Kuri is a woman).

Kuri Jee let me ask you would be willing to accept it????????

If you want my Opinion, I still believe that at the time of inception of Islam there were so many tribal and religious and financial conflicts and wars, and so many men were killed, so much so that the man woman ratio went into minus for men, hence there were more men than women, and hence the ruling marry 4, just to make things even.

You think so????

Comment

We are living in a war like situation, today. Arent we?
                      The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. Russell

Comment

I think this is what is important: "If you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly, then you must not take additional wives, and may continue with what you already have (4:129). This will prevent injustice and financial hardship."

I have never seen a multiple wife family where mian je is able to do justice in this day and time. Have you?
                        All males pay attention to "addition wives / 4-wives" part only.
                        Sometimes you are the bug.
                        Sometimes you are the windshield.

Comment

Justice in such cases is not possible. I repeat its not. All men must withdraw from the entitlement forthwith. Permission to marry four with such a precondition is like offering a bottle of wine without having opening in it.
                          The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts. Russell

Comment

Originally posted by funguy
                            4:3 If you fear that the society shall not be able to do justice with orphans, (as may happen in times of war and political turbulence, the government shall announce a state of Emergency).
                            Who's words are the bits in the brackets? They are not there in the original arabic....

Also, many of the Sahaba who married more than once while the Prophet (saws) was still around did NOT marry orphans or women who could not be taken care of by anyone else. The Prophet (saws) would have condemned them and made them separate if this was not islamically permitted.

In this light, this verse must be interpreted merely as a recommendation to marry those who need the protection marriage brings during hard times.
                            Muslims are so good at dividing that they can divide the atom. If you see two Muslims, probably they belong to 3 parties.
                            Al-Ghazali

Comment

^ I agree. I'm telling you, it has nothing to do with taking care of women, because women are darn strong and many of them can take care of themselves. Its kind of insulting to a woman to say "hey, you're a widow, okay, you wont make it on your own - you should marry that guy who already has a wife...it'll make things easier".

Yeah sure, if I was in financial hardship - widowed or not - with children or not - I dont think I would go to a man who's already married. That wont make things easier. Women are catty, and there is no way I'm entering another lady's domain. That's like...suicide.

I said it earlier in a polygamy thread in culture - I see it as a way to get men to actually not cheat on their wives. If a man has the following options and he is a true believer, what do you think he'll pick? Doesn't take a genius to figure out really.

Scenario (copyright 2005 PCG) - True believer is at work and he is seeing this FYYYYYYYNE woman come to his shop every other day. He wants to bang her, physically speaking, but he knows what is permissible by God. So he has the following options.

1. Bang her. Cheat on his wife. God is very mad. Lose chance of getting into heaven. Where by the way, you can probably bang all you want.

2. Still have her. But well, do it under polygamy. That means, our perplexed mullah can still bang, but he has to follow up with all the responsibility that comes with banging - i.e. taking care of the woman financially and emotionally. This means he has to get his first wife to agree, because he can't hurt her, otherwise he's still going down the "God is very mad. Lose chance of getting into heaven. Where by the way, you can probably bang all you want." path anyway.

Not only all that, but he has to get the two women to live peacefully knowing their husband is banging the other chic. Plus he has to be equal about everything, so every time he buys a gift, he's gotta get two gifts. That means he'll need all the money he can get.

And if he is wise, he will keep in mind that if he screws up, both ladies will leave him. Then he wont have anyone to bang. Well maybe himself.

3. Forget about the hot woman coming to store - keep eyes lowered. And go home and bang his own wife. Imagine its the hot customer, if that makes anything better. God is happy. Perplexed mullah has not lost his chance of getting into heaven. And perplexed mullah is still getting banged.
                              I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Working...
                              X