Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A traditional-minded woman ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A traditional-minded woman ?

    Why is this phrase used as almost an insult. I mean what in the world is wrong with a traditional minded woman? And why is it that when this phrase is used, people picture a woman sitting at home 24/7 cooking and cleaning?
    "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

    #2
    Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

    its uncool, stoopid.
    pathar ki zaban

    Single. Of. Singles.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

      The irony is, women are the leading culprits in promoting such a stereotype, founded on insecurity.
      who stole the sun from the sky

      Comment


        #4
        Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

        What kind of image is created in your mind MQ when you hear that someone is a traditional woman?

        Comment


          #5
          Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

          It is not insecurity, it is a general sense of fed-upness. In a world where women were once forced to be "traditional minded" or even Plain Dum, throug their accidents of birth, it is now demed of bad taste to choose a lifestyle or mind set that so many poeple fought to change - merely because you are messed up or even to try and nab a guy who everyone has decided isnt so great anyway. Nome saying sk?. Plus there is the whole thing of "define" traditional. becasue TRADITOINALLY women were indeed illeducated and sat at home like dairy cows rearing unneeded children with little/no control over their rights of birth-giving.

          All very complex
          rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band

          Comment


            #6
            Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

            Originally posted by Rukhsarbibi
            What kind of image is created in your mind MQ when you hear that someone is a traditional woman?
            Somebody like myself.

            Well I consider myself traditional - perhaps more so on the religious side than tradition. But I dont cook (I know how, its just an annoying task) , I study, I work, I have a car I drive, I go out, I live life. So what I dont understand is why this phrase is used as an insult.

            Ghulail -- Why is it uncool?
            "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

            Comment


              #7
              Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

              Originally posted by hiccup
              It is not insecurity, it is a general sense of fed-upness. In a world where women were once forced to be "traditional minded" or even Plain Dum, throug their accidents of birth, it is now demed of bad taste to choose a lifestyle or mind set that so many poeple fought to change - merely because you are messed up or even to try and nab a guy who everyone has decided isnt so great anyway. Nome saying sk?. Plus there is the whole thing of "define" traditional. becasue TRADITOINALLY women were indeed illeducated and sat at home like dairy cows rearing unneeded children with little/no control over their rights of birth-giving.

              All very complex
              Would people who think traditional woman are "illeducated and sit at home like dairy cows" be ignorant and ill educated since they dont have a clue as to what traiditonal woman are actually like?

              Its a stereotype I know, but when well educated women fall into using it - it is rather disappointing. Therefore I think I am right when I say education doesnt mean one cant still be "jaahil".
              "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

              Comment


                #8
                Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

                Originally posted by Muslim_Queen
                Would people who think traditional woman are "illeducated and sit at home like dairy cows" be ignorant and ill educated since they dont have a clue as to what traiditonal woman are actually like?

                Its a stereotype I know, but when well educated women fall into using it - it is rather disappointing. Therefore I think I am right when I say education doesnt mean one cant still be "jaahil".
                No they would not be, You are trying to justify who you yourself are for reasons unknown, I am merely informing you of the stereotypes fused with that particular label. What I personally do not understand is this inane need to constantly label oneself and then (as I mentioned previous) trying to justify it to poepel across the world who actually don't care.

                If you do not like the preconceptions and inferances tied in with a particular name, it's very simple, don't apply them to yourself. In the stead live your life how you wish to live it - as yourself and not as an accumilation of things you think you are/ should be.

                Happy living.

                So far as your point of education and jahility no tbeing mutually exclusive, i read your posts and agree whole heartedly. Disappointing is no longer the word - boring perhaps?
                rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

                  But hiccup if I see myself as "traditional" why on earth would I change that just because it is seen as a negative stereotype? I am not the type who goes along with the masses, neither do I back down from what I am, just because the next person has an issue with it.

                  What I dont understand is why this phrase is used as an insult especially between desi people. If a woman is traditional, I want to know why it is such a horrible thing. And why people use it as an insult when they have no basis for their views.

                  The reason I brought this up, is because I believe that we should learn that there is a lot more to things than we might know. And it really annoys me to no extent when such generalized views are thrown into the air. It is not about trying to shove it into peoples faces who dont give a damn, but rather throwing it into their faces that they are wrong.

                  (I say we get a smilie for 'traditional woman')
                  "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

                    u know its uncool when ppl get peeved enuff to repeatedly open threads in reply to the hurting words.......tho seriously its all in the image....u can fool a kid into beleiving she is not tradational just by allowing her to buy lunch and be 'brave' enuff to pronounce menstruation on an internet forum....and u can actually give her access to a car, and still make her feel traditional abt it...peace out.
                    pathar ki zaban

                    Single. Of. Singles.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

                      ghuLail -- I opened this thread because its a typical statement/comment made by people I know. Its as if its a crime being traditional. And that women should be ashamed of it or something. Honestly I find that quite pathetic. This thread is not aimed at any person here in particular - but rather it is about ALL people who use this phrase as an insult.
                      "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

                        Well obviously your definition of 'traditonal women' varies from the definition of those whose opinion is bothering you. Either you go around correcting their definition, or you redefine your own or you don't give a damn and carry on with yourself the way you are.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

                          Originally posted by Muslim_Queen
                          But hiccup if I see myself as "traditional" why on earth would I change that just because it is seen as a negative stereotype? I am not the type who goes along with the masses, neither do I back down from what I am, just because the next person has an issue with it.

                          What I dont understand is why this phrase is used as an insult especially between desi people. If a woman is traditional, I want to know why it is such a horrible thing. And why people use it as an insult when they have no basis for their views.

                          The reason I brought this up, is because I believe that we should learn that there is a lot more to things than we might know. And it really annoys me to no extent when such generalized views are thrown into the air. It is not about trying to shove it into peoples faces who dont give a damn, but rather throwing it into their faces that they are wrong.

                          (I say we get a smilie for 'traditional woman')


                          Noone asked you to back down. I am merely informing you that those are the images that come to mind with traditional-ism. You seemed to confused as to why it could possibly be a negitive thing - My reasoning for it is not wrong nor outrageous. If you choose to be called such, more power to you.

                          I however choose to be myself. I do not rely upon labels such as "hijaaban" or "traditional minded" to define me. I make the mould, not try and fit into one. But like I said, happy living. If being called a traditional woman makes you feel good, then who are we possibly to judge

                          and Amen to femme.
                          rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band rubber band

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

                            Originally posted by Muslim_Queen
                            Somebody like myself.

                            Well I consider myself traditional - perhaps more so on the religious side than tradition. But I dont cook (I know how, its just an annoying task) , I study, I work, I have a car I drive, I go out, I live life. So what I dont understand is why this phrase is used as an insult.
                            For me a picture that comes to mind is a woman who is a home body and is set in her ways. Not willing to change or adapt to anything new. Someone who is probably very submissive. Follows what she has been taught by her elders and wouldn't imagine thinking outside of the box. It is due to the connotation that the word "traditional" carries. If I told you that I am having a traditional wedding then automatically a picture will be created in your mind about the type of wedding I will have. I don't think of you as a traditional woman. Conservative - yes.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: A traditional-minded woman ?

                              What I am trying to do is not make others fit into mine, nor make myself fit into others definitions. What I am trying to point out is the ignorance that has no end It is not about whether I give a damn about what others think of me, thats a good joke though. But rather I have a habit of pointing out what annoys me. And ignorance annoys me to no extent.

                              Originally posted by Rukhsarbibi
                              For me a picture that comes to mind is a woman who is a home body and is set in her ways. Not willing to change or adapt to anything new. Someone who is probably very submissive. Follows what she has been taught by her elders and wouldn't imagine thinking outside of the box. It is due to the connotation that the word "traditional" carries. If I told you that I am having a traditional wedding then automatically a picture will be created in your mind about the type of wedding I will have. I don't think of you as a traditional woman. Conservative - yes.
                              I guess you are right with the conservative. But we tend to think being traditional is such a bad thing. Like you listed above. But is it not possible that some might be like that, others might not be so? Why do we feel the need to generalize to such a large extent?

                              I mean is it always wrong to follow what we learn from elders?

                              Submissive and such - yeah those are problematic.

                              But over all if a traditional woman is happy with her life, has a good marriage, gets along with people, and is satisfied with how she lives, is it still a negative thing?

                              And if shes traditional why is she below the rest of us who dont see ourselves as traditional?
                              Last edited by Muslim_Queen; May 31, 2005, 10:34 AM.
                              "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X