Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to Pakistan after a long time? What to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to Pakistan after a long time? What to expect?

Hey guys, so I'm going to be traveling to Pakistan after like 14 years. I have no clue what to expect. Is there a check list of stuff I should have? Do I need to take any medicine with me in case I get diabolical diarrhea or something? Do I need to carry a knife with me incase I get mugged because I have an iPhone 13 Pro. I do have a crappy android that i'm contemplating taking with me, but I think that'll cramp my style as the folks back home will think I don't have enough money. Also I ordered some fake nikes from Dhgate but they look real, should I take payless shoes or something to blend in? Also someone said not to wear Holister shirts there because that's a dead giveaway you're a burger and you'll likely to be mugged. Help me out here.

Medicine is a must

some places still have dengue / flu etc

diarrhea medicine, fever medicine, flu etc etc

tend to bring basic phone and lay low

But then I guess different for boys

Comment

Originally posted by batameez View Post
      Medicine is a must

some places still have dengue / flu etc

diarrhea medicine, fever medicine, flu etc etc

tend to bring basic phone and lay low

But then I guess different for boys
      So I should take my android. But then my cousins will think i'm not "American" enough. I've heard this before when I didn't bring "hip" clothes. One of them said, "did you bring this shirt from Landa" - Which is like a thrift store.

Comment

14 years !! Wow, that is a long time. You'll have to be super careful about 2 things:

1- You'll be spending lot of time inside the bathroom there if you took adequate precautions. But if you didn't take precautions you can end up in ICU God forbid.
        2- There is a criminal-violent mindset that has permeated in Pakistani society now. Do not go anywhere alone, and let your local host do most of the talking and arguing. Things can get very violent, very quickly there. Don't get fooled by women wearing western clothes, lavish lifestyle, modern malls and fancy restaurants there. No matter how much news you watch, a lot more is happening there off-camera which no one talks about.

Someone I know went there, after communicating with a marriage bureau, to meet some women for marriage. Those women were drop-dead gorgeous and the meeting was in DHA. Those women were actually prostitutes working for a gang. The guy's local host saved that guy from getting kidnapped. Many such gangs exist.

Not trying to scare you, only trying to inform you so you take adequate precautions.

Comment

Do in Rome as Romans do!

Comment

Originally posted by Bakra24 View Post
            Hey guys, so I'm going to be traveling to Pakistan after like 14 years. I have no clue what to expect. Is there a check list of stuff I should have? Do I need to take any medicine with me in case I get diabolical diarrhea or something? Do I need to carry a knife with me incase I get mugged because I have an iPhone 13 Pro. I do have a crappy android that i'm contemplating taking with me, but I think that'll cramp my style as the folks back home will think I don't have enough money. Also I ordered some fake nikes from Dhgate but they look real, should I take payless shoes or something to blend in? Also someone said not to wear Holister shirts there because that's a dead giveaway you're a burger and you'll likely to be mugged. Help me out here.
            Do not tell anyone you were away for 14 years or they most probably will think you never loved them in the first place

Stomach issues are a must for everyone, lasts a day or two if you're smart enough. It is an issue even for the folks traveling from the south to the north of Pakistan

You don't get mugged in Karachi as long as you keep a straight face. If you act like a Bakra/Burger then sadly you will be treated as one

Good luck, have fun. Mqm is no more​

Comment

Originally posted by Exoduss View Post

Do not tell anyone you were away for 14 years or they most probably will think you never loved them in the first place

Stomach issues are a must for everyone, lasts a day or two if you're smart enough. It is an issue even for the folks traveling from the south to the north of Pakistan

You don't get mugged in Karachi as long as you keep a straight face. If you act like a Bakra/Burger then sadly you will be treated as one

Good luck, have fun. Mqm is no more​
              Ah man, MQM made karachi fun! Now there won’t be any fireworks. Shucks.

Comment

Lol, I can't tell if the second half of your post is satire or not.

Originally posted by Bakra24 View Post
                It all depends on what part of Pakistan that you'll be visiting. If major cities in Punjab, such as Lahore, Faislabad, Sialkot, or the Capital, then the chances of you having a near death diarrhea experience are slim-to-none, so long as you avoid the hole-in-the-wall type places in the androon cities. If you'll be visiting Karachi, then avoid everything like the plague. Doesn't matter if Joel Robuchon has personally curated it just for you, avoid it. Fcuk Burns Rd., fcuk everything that Karachi has to offer in terms of its cuisine, nalli biryani sounds retarded, it's not worth the YOLO.

The same applies to getting mugged. If you're in Punjab, nobody is going to bother you. In fact you could be dressed from head-to-toe in Luis Vuitton and someone will out-label whore and out-wealth you if that makes sense. Whereas, if you're in Karachi, then someone can and will drop you for as little as a poorly wrapped joint.

And as far as your cousins are concerned, just pretend they don't exist.

TLDR; Avoid Karachi, avoid your cousins, and you'll live to talk about it.

Bon voyage...
                Last edited by a7mado; 3 weeks ago.
                "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post
                  If you'll be visiting Karachi, then avoid everything like the plague. Doesn't matter if Joel Robuchon has personally curated it just for you, avoid it. Fcuk Burns Rd., fcuk everything that Karachi has to offer in terms of its cuisine, nalli biryani sounds retarded, it's not worth the YOLO.

The same applies to getting mugged. If you're in Punjab, nobody is going to bother you. In fact you could be dressed from head-to-toe in Luis Vuitton and someone will out-label whore and out-wealth you if that makes sense. Whereas, if you're in Karachi, then someone can and will drop you for as little as a poorly wrapped joint.

Say waaaaaaaaaaaatttt...
                  Attitude is more important than facts.
                  "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

Take Dukarol before you go, it is for diarrhea and cholera. Only oral vaccine for that.

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
                      14 years !! Wow, that is a long time. You'll have to be super careful about 2 things:

1- You'll be spending lot of time inside the bathroom there if you took adequate precautions. But if you didn't take precautions you can end up in ICU God forbid.
                      2- There is a criminal-violent mindset that has permeated in Pakistani society now. Do not go anywhere alone, and let your local host do most of the talking and arguing. Things can get very violent, very quickly there. Don't get fooled by women wearing western clothes, lavish lifestyle, modern malls and fancy restaurants there. No matter how much news you watch, a lot more is happening there off-camera which no one talks about.

Someone I know went there, after communicating with a marriage bureau, to meet some women for marriage. Those women were drop-dead gorgeous and the meeting was in DHA. Those women were actually prostitutes working for a gang. The guy's local host saved that guy from getting kidnapped. Many such gangs exist.

Not trying to scare you, only trying to inform you so you take adequate precautions.
                      A great picture of Pakistan, really. I expected more than just negatives. Perhaps it could all depend on the area you visit.
                      "Brevity is the soul of wit." Hamlet, William Shakespeare.

Comment

• SID_NY
                        SID_NY commented
                        Editing a comment
                        lol Seriously. Trust me there is so much positive about visiting Pak. It would be awesome of someone pen it down here

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post

Say waaaaaaaaaaaatttt...
                      That's right, you heard me. I got serious beef with that city.
                      "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Act like, you've never left. Pakistan has its own problems, try to see it from the lens of someone living there. Overall the Pakistani experience is a different one, not good or bad, it's just different.
                        The key to success is Sanu Ki

Comment

Following video is from last night. The family was returning from airport after picking up their son who had just arrived from USA:

You will not see or hear about this incident on any news channel.

Comment

^ Not too long ago a black boy was beaten to death by 5 black policemen in the US. All 5 have been charged for second degree murder. In your merry opinions, how safe is it to visit the country then? White supremacists must be over the moon for it wasn't a white guy in uniform killing a black civilian, though

Karachi is the sixth largest city in the world. Schit happens everywhere, much better being robbed than being beaten to a pulp by your own very government

Originally posted by a7mado View Post

Bon voyage...
                            Umm, if it weren't for Karachi I doubt this forum would have ever taken flight. Mostly the creme de la creme of this crop apparently were all born and raised in Karachi. Thank me later you can ;-)

Comment

Working...
                            X