Micro-Dermabrasion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Micro-Dermabrasion

Can anyone give me some info on micro-dermabrasion?
    Costs, treatment, results. Anyone had it done? How long is a course?

It's a very popular treatment with acne sufferers, for helping with the scarring left by spots. But also equally good for clearing pores and smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles. Plus its a major exfoliation session too.

The machine feels and looks like a cross between a dentists drill and a mini vacumn, in a 'pen' format. The pen blasts tiny crystal or diamond particles onto your skin which is then vacummned up at the same time.

Number of treatments depends on what kind of results you're after. If it's just a thorough deep clean then one treatment every now and then should be enough. If you're trying to get rid of scarring and uneven pigmentation then you usually need a course of six treatments, at monthly intervals.

If you do go ahead, then its best to book your treatment as late in the day as possible so you can go straight home and sleep and not use makeup or whatever. Over the next few days you'll probably find you use a bit more moisturiser than usual because it's sinking in deeper.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I had it done once. The normal cost at that time in California was $100 for one session where the "vacuum" wasnt on high (there are different suction levels, price varied accordingly). Cost reduction if more sessions involved.

I broke out the day after the session, but I think thats because of another reason which I wont mention here, my face is sensitive. My face looked clearer, thats for sure, but it isnt something I would regularly get done.

I have also read that excessive use can lead to uneven skintone on the face.

Information below was taken from the WebMD site:

Dr. Young: Microdermabrasion is analogous to sandblasting. The skin is abraded with small aluminum oxide particles. In that, the superficial layers of the skin are removed; therefore, microdermabrasion is effective for fine wrinkles, superficial scaly lesions, such as superficial keratosis or pigment irregularities. It is not particularly effective for large pores, deep wrinkles, severe acne scarring or moles or other raised growths. Similarly, it is not effective for blood vessels. Deeper pigment abnormalities, large pores, and blood vessels would be better treated with intense pulse light. Raised lesions, such as moles, usually require direct excision.
      "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

I read that aluminium crystals are used and have heard that aluminium is poisonous? Is this true?
        I also read about something very similar called salt-a-peel which is safer but is just as effective as Mic Derm.
        I think I ill just need one treatment as my skin is not too bad I just want to make it a bit smoother and clearer.
        Where am I likely to find a place that does it?

Comment

It's not aluminium crystals Nan, but the kind of crytsals they use depend on where you have it done. The best ones use diamond particles but come with the price tag to match.

You can get microdermabrasion clothes if you don't want to go down the route of having facials. You use them to wash your face with like a flannel every few days. If your skin is already in good condition, then it might be worth considering.

Comment

Again any idea where I could get it done?

Comment

Do you mean, where you could get the microdermabrasion clothes from?

SpaceNk are the best place, or a larger Boots. Or QVC.

Comment

yeah and where can I get the treatment done? Thanks

Comment

Nandulala
                  call the local spas around u.
                  I am sure u'll find a place closeby where they do it.
                  Where do u live btw?

Comment

Hey Ive just found a place right near me that does it. Thanks

Comment

U can do the same with goods soap and brush
                      There is no more pleasant food for the soul than the knowledge of truth. - Lactantius

Comment

Nandulala
                        so how many treatments are u going for? And how much is
                        the cost in your area if I may ask?

Comment

I had 3 treatments..some said I had an improvement..some said I didn't.. To me maybe 2percent showed..The doc said it will take time..aroun 8-9 sittings and then the scars will be gone like 60percent..He didnt promise more than that because my scars are pretty old..like 8 years or so..and it costed me around
                          1500-2000PKR per sitting for the cheeks area.
                          "naseehat karnay ki nahi, kar kay dikhanay ki cheez hai" -some author(maybe Mumtaz Mufti)

Comment

Another method of ripping beauty concious women off...

Comment

Working...
                            X