radiology, side affects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radiology, side affects

are there any? my doc used to tell me that 10-15 years down the track, the patient is likely to get cancer.. but he says that now it has improved quite significantly and the side affects arent as bad.. has anyone else experienced it? or know much bout it?

Yesterday, the German TV was showing a survey, that how so many doctors send their patients to radiology even if its not so necessary to increase their income, and that only special radiology clinics should be the ones to do radiology & xrays ect on patients.

Japan is considered the world most top radiology user, leading before Germany and third position UK.

There are side affects, but to what extend, I don't know. I think it depends on how often you have been xrayed.

Comment

as with all medical procedures X-rays also have their side-effects. However they have been greatly decreased in recent years. (only a very small fraction of the total radio-load remains).
      But that doesn't justify doctors to send their patients for radiology without a proper indication
      Why so serious ... ?

Comment

Well they say its safe but it's always worrying when even the radiographer leaves the room when they're zapping you.

Comment

my question was kinda referring to the use of radiation... not x-rays.. so sorry didnt clarify...

my doc (he's one of the best in AUs.. and been seeing him since i was like 16)... he thinks i should get my keliod removed via radiation... its the last resort though

Comment

sadzz..... radiology is a vast term,it includes many procedures some of which are harmless and some could be injurious.

X-rays as everybody above said can harm if they are done unnecessarily,it may lead to cancers or abortions etc.

ultrasonography om the other hand is very safe and thus is used more frequently for various diagnosis to be made by doctors.CT scan,MRI are all safe procedures.

As far as your keloid removal is concerned,it would most probably be done by Laser technique and that is quite a safe procedure itself :-)

so better do not worry

Comment

I always thought that keloids were removed by laser too?

Comment

Originally posted by sadzzz:
                my question was kinda referring to the use of radiation... not x-rays.. so sorry didnt clarify...
                X-ray is a type of radiation. May be your question is related to theraputic radiation and not diagnostic radiology. Dose is much higher in theraputic radiology but they try to localize it to the area of interest but collimation.

Comment

Originally posted by shahreen:
                  Well they say its safe but it's always worrying when even the radiographer leaves the room when they're zapping you.
                  Shahreen: radiology techs leave the room to avoid unnecessary scatter radiation that fills the room during exposure. If they stayed with the patient, they would ne exposed to extra radiation that they don't need. Patient is getting the treament indicated by the doctor. Just calculate the extra dose rad. techs would get if they stayed in the room with every patient. Radiation is safe because the dose is low with modern technology for the patient. But it is ionizing radiation, so got to be careful.

Comment

thanx heaps everyone

kashish i think the method used to remove the keloid is irradiation.. about 25 yeasr ago people using the radiation method to remove scars developed cancer, but these days they use a more superficial technique with very low radiation... this girl is on trial at the moment... im gonna be next (fingers crossed)

Comment

Working...
                    X