Eye Puffiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye Puffiness

I seem to have a lot of puffiness and dark circles under my eyes. The rare times I actually get enough sleep, I still tend to have puffiness. I don't know what products to use that can help reduce the circles.

A friend of mine suggested this sleeping mask that you keep in the fridge/freezer. I think it has something around the section of the eyes that absorbs the cold, similar to an ice pack, so that when you use it at night, the pressure of the coldness reduces puffiness. I don't know if this will actually work though. She claims it does. I tend to sleep on my side and tummy so it might be a bit uncomfortable for me.

I don't want to go to cosmetic counters as they will all suggest I buy some sort of anti-aging cream or gel to use under my eyes.

Does anybody else have this problem? What do you use?
    Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Mehnaz

Ever tried cucumber slices on ur eyes for like 10/15 minutes? I don't know if it reduces puffiness, but it sure is soothing and relaxes the eyes.
    Save Pakistan.

Comment

Forget the sleeping mask, just keep a couple of teaspoons in your freezer and use them as and when you need em.

Comment

I use the cucumber slices, or cotton buds that I've left in the freezer for an hour or so after dipping them in cucumber essence. I also keep a jar of Clinique's All About Eyes which I use every once in a while, but a close friend assures me that a combination of YSL's whitening serum and Haute Fermete does wonders for undereye circles.

Comment

Taken from iVillage. *smile*

Puffy eyes
          by Sidra Shaukat

Are there any natural ways to get rid of puffiness under your eyes? I use eye gels occasionally, moisturise daily, drink lots of water and eat a healthy diet but still feel that the area under my eyes looks haggard. I'm nearly 33, so is it just a case of nature taking it's course or is there anything I can do?

First of all, try tackling the problem from the inside. Get plenty of sleep and don't drink too much alcohol. If this doesn't help, don't worry, nature can be given a helping hand! Lie down for 15 minutes, preferably in a quiet room, with either a slice of raw potato or cucumber over your eyes, or cotton wool pads soaked in witch hazel (which reduces swelling) or iced water. Your eyes will sparkle and any puffiness will magically disappear!

Also, try relaxing with a couple of cooled teabags over your eyelids for 10 minutes - the polyphenols and tannin in the tea are astringents and mild stimulants and it also has a slight tightening effect to reduce puffiness.

Try taking a few egg whites, stiffly beaten, with a drop of witch hazel and apply with a brush under the eyes to make the skin feel tighter and look less puffy.
          "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

I dont have the puffy problem as much as i do dark circles if i am not getting enough rest. I use Mary Kay eye mask(its a gel, and you can use it as a normal eye cream). It feels very good on tired eyes, if you keep it int he fridge. Or try Mary Kay Lumineyes before going to bed.
            I love children and old people. Its everyone in between I can't stand - Don Imus

Comment

it might also be related to poor diet. drink lots of water and include lots of fresh fruit in ur daily diet.

Comment

Yes Reemzy. Apparently, high intakes of salt add to dark circles.

Munni, thanks for the post. Do you know what exactly Witch Hazel is?
                Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Comment

Mehnaz, this should help: *smile*

Taken from botanical.com:

---Synonyms---Spotted Alder. Winterbloom. Snapping Hazelnut.
                  ---Parts Used---Bark, dried; leaves, fresh and dried.
                  ---Habitat---The Eastern United States and Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  ---Description---The name Hamamelis was adopted from a Greek word to indicate its resemblance to an apple-tree.
                  This shrub, long known in cultivation, consists of several crooked branching trunks from one root, 4 to 6 inches in diameter, 10 to 12 feet in height, with a smooth grey bark, leaves 3 to 5 inches long and about 3 inches wide, on short petioles, alternate, oval or obovate, acuminate, obliquely subcordate at the base, the margin crenate, dentate, scabrous, with raised spots underneath, pinnately veined and having stellate hairs. The leaves drop off in autumn, then the yellow flowers appear, very late in September and in October, in clusters from the joints, followed by black nuts, containing white seeds which are oily and edible. In Britain, the nut does not bear seeds, but in America, they are produced abundantly, but often do not ripen till the following summer. The seeds are ejected violently when ripe, hence the name Snapping Hazelnut. The leaves are inodorous, with an astringent and bitterish aromatic taste. The twigs are flexible and rough, colour externally, yellowish-brown to purple, wood greeny white, pith small. The bark as found in commerce is usually in quilled pieces 1/16 inch thick, 2 to 8 inches long, with silvery grey, scaly cork; longitudinally striated; fracture fibrous and laminated; taste and odour slight.

---Constituents---Of the leaves (official in the United States Pharmacopoeia), tannic and gallic acids, an unknown bitter principle and some volatile oil.

The bark contains tannin, partly amorphous and partly crystal, gallic acid, a physterol, resin, fat and other bitter and odorous bodies.

[Top]

---Medicinal Action and Uses---The properties of the leaves and bark are similar, astringent, tonic, sedative, valuable in checking internal and external haemorrhage, most efficacious in the treatment of piles, a good pain-killer for the same, useful for bruises and inflammatory swellings, also for diarrhoea, dysentery and mucous discharges.

It has long been used by the North American Indians as poultices for painful swellings and tumours.

The decoction has been utilized for incipient phthisis, gleet, ophthalmia, menorrhagia and the debilitated state resultingfrom abortion.

A tea made of the leaves or bark may be taken freely with advantage, being good for bleeding of the stomach and in complaints of the bowels, and an injection of this tea is excellent for inwardly bleeding piles, the relief being marvellous and the cure speedy. An ointment made of 1 part fluid extract of bark to 9 parts simple ointment is also used as a local application, the concentration Hamamelin being also employed, mainly in the form of suppositories.

Witch Hazel has been supposed to owe its utility to an action on the muscular fibre of veins. The distilled extract from the fresh leaves and young twigs forms an excellent remedy for internal or external uses, being beneficial for bleeding from the lungs and nose, as well as from other internal organs. In the treatment of varicose veins, it should be applied on a lint bandage, which must be constantly kept moist: a pad of Witch Hazel applied to a burst varicose vein will stop the bleeding and often save life by its instant application.

Pond's Extract of Witch Hazel was much used in our grandmother's days as a general household remedy for burns, scalds, and inflammatory conditions of the skin generally and it is still in general use.

In cases of bites of insects and mosquitoes a pad of cotton-wool, moistened with the extract and applied to the spot will soon cause the pain and swelling to subside.

Diluted with warm water, the extract is used for inflammation of the eyelids.
                  "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but haemorroid cream is very good in emergencys for puffy eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by shahreen:
                      I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but haemorroid cream is very good in emergencys for puffy eyes.

What is haemorroid? I hope ya don't mean hemorrhoid cream. Coz that wud just be gross.

Comment

No, she's right. I know of a model who does it before every show.

Comment

Has anybody tried Biotherm products? I nearly purchased their under eye cream which is said to reduce puffiness and dark circles. I want to know how this is compared to Clinique's All About Eyes.

Comment

All these brands like clinique and ysl don't do zilch in the long term. Sisley makes the best products I've tried so far. The eye cream really works.

Comment

Originally posted by Chandbeti:

What is haemorroid? I hope ya don't mean hemorrhoid cream. Coz that wud just be gross.
                              Yes that's what I meant and why is it gross? It does the job perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                              X