Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Leads to Impotence and Infertility, British Report Says

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...lth_smoking_dc

Wed Feb 11,10:47 AM ET Add Health - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Ceri Radford

LONDON (Reuters) - Smoking damages almost all aspects of sexual, reproductive and child health, a hard-hitting report by the British Medical Association (BMA) said on Wednesday.

The report estimated around 120,000 men aged 30-50 were impotent because of smoking.

"The sheer scale of damage that smoking causes to reproductive and child health is shocking," said Dr Vivienne Nathanson, the BMA's Head of Science and Ethics.

The BMA called on the government to ramp up its anti-smoking drive and introduce legislation to make enclosed public places smoke-free.

Women who smoke are twice as likely to be infertile as non-smokers, the report said. Furthermore, smoking is linked to around 3-5,000 miscarriages a year and around 1,200 cases of malignant cervical cancer.

"Women are generally aware that they should not smoke while pregnant but the message needs to be far stronger," Nathanson told reporters. "Men and women who think they might one day want children should bin cigarettes."

Impotence caused by smoking may be due to toxins such as carbon monoxide damaging the circulatory system, and hampering blood flow to and from the penis.

As well as running the risk of impotence, the report said men who smoke also have a lower sperm count and a higher proportion of malformed sperm.

Women smokers are at particular risk from fallopian tube problems which can cause infertility, the report stated.

If infertility prompts smoking couples to try assisted reproductive techniques, such as in vitro fertilization (IVF), they are less likely to conceive than non-smokers.

The far-reaching report also underlines tobacco's massive toll on the health of children, as well as on those bringing them up or hoping to conceive.

Passive smoking is linked to cot death, respiratory infection in children and the development of childhood asthma, the report said.

More than 17,000 children under five have to go to hospital every year because of respiratory illness caused by second-hand smoke, it added.

Although the costs of smoking-related reproductive ill-health in the UK are not known, it is estimated that smoking-related illnesses cost the National Health Service (NHS) at least 1.5 billion pounds every year
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

See funguy, I told ya.

Comment

yeah, that is why i have triplets. I have been smoking for 13 years now. It really must have messed up my reproductive system. I dont want to think what could have been if i did not smoke. My wife would have killed me for sure.
      Weather forecast for tonight: dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaleem:
        yeah, that is why i have triplets. I have been smoking for 13 years now. It really must have messed up my reproductive system. I dont want to think what could have been if i did not smoke. My wife would have killed me for sure.
        It doesnt affect everyone in the same manner, but the sheer numbers it does affect are very disturbing.

Comment

Kaleem plz plz plz put up a pic of ur triplets.

Comment

I second that. I remember when you posted their babies pics and they were so cute. I want to see them now.
            Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Comment

Ok just for you guys, i have put up one picture here, this is the only oen i have at work that is recent, I might put upsome more when i get home.

here

Comment

Thank you for sharing the pics Kaleem. *smile*

Please, pleaseeeeeee stick to the topic and remark on the babies in Kaleem's new thread. Thank youuuuuuuuuu.

Comment

Originally posted by shahreen:
                  See funguy, I told ya.
                  In our scenario, this should be a plus.

Comment

Madhanee, see my reply in the other thread.

Comment

for sun1 whoz so "shy" aroun stranjerz, u sur no a lot bout sex-rilayted topicz.

Comment

Originally posted by 7531598246:
                        for sun1 whoz so "shy" aroun stranjerz, u sur no a lot bout sex-rilayted topicz.
                        Two unrelated things. But thanks for mentioning.

Comment

Working...
                        X