Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should young girls be allowed to wear makeup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should young girls be allowed to wear makeup?

I was talking to a relative of mine, who is 5 years old, and in the midst of a conversation on school, she mentioned makeup. She said she wants to start wearing makeup. I asked her why and she said because she likes it and it looks nice. Then I told her that makeup is for older girls, and she said, "No but my mommy said I can wear makeup when I am blank years old." I wont say the age she mentioned, but I will say that I was totally surprised at the answer.

I myself wasnt allowed to wear makeup until my twenties. It didnt even surprise me so much that the child wanted to wear it, but rather that her mother said she can start so early.

This relative of mine is already very demanding on what she will wear to school and I dont want to know how she is going to be when she insists on wearing certain makeup. (Although her mother might have changed her mind, but lets assume she hasnt.)

I remember girls in school spending all their allowance on makeup. I simply couldnt understand it.

What age would you allow your daughter to start wearing makeup? Your thoughts? Thanks.
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Personally i would discourage her from wearing it. My fiancee also shares my views on something thats so superficial. And definetly no makeup till she's atleast in her teens.

Honestly though i dont know how forceful i will be on the subject. As far as my own views go i dont like makeup at all, but the times are different now and its not gonna be a piece of cake to convince someone not to wear it when she sees everyone around her wearing a few tons of it.

Comment

i think i would allow my dauther to wear kajal.. i see nothing wrong with that.. makeup liek lipsticks blushes an all that... personally i hate it on little girls.. they look liek pakki little aunties.. so 4 my daughter.. UMM no... till 16// i guess her 16th b-day present will eb makeup..
      Slightly Crazy and Plenty Lazy

Comment

yeah, after 16 it's all good...I mean ocassinoally. After she gets into uni she can do whatever she likes( in the makeup department). But before 16, it's a total no no.
        A young skin like that can get damaged due to the cosmetics. And it looks really cheap on girls of that age.

By the time she has a job..I expect her to wear makeup daily. As in a shade of lipstick and eye liner atleast.

Comment

Nail polish is fine with me (if we aren't concerned about the wudu issue). Besides that I don't think they should start before puberty. Even then maybe a little lipstick or eyeliner now and then. No blush until much later. I started wearing makeup around 12 -- wore eyeliner/kajol type stuff. 5 seems way too young!

Comment

on eid, when everyone else gets dressed up in new clothes, make up, jewelery and shoes, my nieces, 5,6 and 9 yeras old want to do the same..

They wear nice clothes, if they ask us, we help them put-on some perfume and get lipstick and surma..now the lipstick is usually lip gloss and it's very light..and part of the fun of dressing up. (to be honest, it cracks us up to watch them run around with their lips stiff in a pout for about 10 minutes in order to not ruin their lipstick)

I think i would do the same for my daughters...emphasize a young look, keep it light..and not over do it, uses glosses, etc.
            As she ages, goes into the teens, she can wear more...if she chooses too.

I know loads of desis who want their daughters to wait till they are married..but i think that's a bit much. I also know that it's important for girls to feel comfortable and play with make up as teenagers..and i think if you raise confident, smart/educated and knowledgable girls, playing with make up will not be a negative thing.

Comment

i started wearing lipstick when i was in grade 12. make up on occasions looks good, but when they over do it then it looks ridiculous . i think teen girls wearing so much make up is not good for their skin as it is. they lose their "masoomiat" somehow. i am not saying they look bad, some of them look amazing.. but they look so much older at the same time. :-/
              - I swear to drunk I am not God :-/

Comment

it really depends on how mature the girl looks.. i usually discourage make up and its just not necessary.. but if one feels they ought to wear it, then parties are ok (but i still think natural make up is the best) the over done stuff is retarded... i myself cant stand lipstick only cus i eat it... maybe 15 is a good age..

Comment

I wasn't allowed to wear makeup not even lipstick till i was 17 ..... but now when i see lil gals widmakeup i cant stop laughing cz they looks weird :halo:...i think after 16 its fine if its done ocassinoally.
                  "Hold the hand of the person whom you love rather than expecting them to hold urs "

Comment

On special occasions I let my kids wear it and on normal days if were going out maybe a bit of kajal.
                    i would try to discourage it as long as I can but I think probably about 16 is Ok for a bit of makeup

Comment

my mother used to let me wear those glittery lop glosses and anilpolish when i was abt 14/15 i wasnt much into it as much as i was into collecting them and makingthe look pretty on my dressing table

and now *sigh i cant be bothered, throw me a lip gloss thats all i ask for and thats exactly how ill bring up my own daughter (inshaAllah)

Comment

I've always been so damn cute that any make-up would be an over-kill.

Comment

i was allowed to wear lipstick when i was 15, but i wasn't allowed to wear full make up until i was 18.
                          i think 18 is fine. 12, 13, or 14 yr old gals look wierd with makeup.
                          main nay apnay iradoon ke shikasat say khuda ko pehchana hai (hazrat Ali)

Comment

For little girls the best thing to do is to buy them the litttle toy makeup kits...my little sister is 7 and she has one...its cute actually, she puts on the lipstick and eyeshadow and think she looks good...however my mom made it a point to tell her that she was only to play with it at home...I think its a great idea because they get it out of their system...shauk poora ho jatha hai..

As the girl enters her teens I would say let her put on some lip gloss as long as she looks her age. I started wearing mascara at 16, and I would let my daugter wear makeup at that age as long as its limited to the lips and eyes...Full face makeup...not until at least 17

Comment

i can remember being about 9/10 and wearing wierd funky blues/purples and pink nailpolishes with tons of glitters..it's a stage...

Comment

Working...
                              X