Pre fried onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre fried onions

Why they leave a oily smell when used in salan?

Re: Pre fried onions

Originally posted by Mostar95 View Post
    Why they leave a oily smell when used in salan?
    Maybe because the oil on them, in which they were fried, has gone stale.
    Be someone that makes YOU happy

Comment

I find the prefried onions in the can in the Chinese stores or isles are a lot better. If you want to save time use dehydrated onion flakes, they fry in seconds in very little oil. I crumble them in my hand before i put them in or some times they can feel stringy. I get them from the bulk isle in super market.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
        I find the prefried onions in the can in the Chinese stores or isles are a lot better. If you want to save time use dehydrated onion flakes, they fry in seconds in very little oil. I crumble them in my hand before i put them in or some times they can feel stringy. I get them from the bulk isle in super market.
        Have you tried making something using freshly fried onion and dehydrated fried onions and tasted the difference? Is it exactly the same?

Comment

Originally posted by LP View Post
          Have you tried making something using freshly fried onion and dehydrated fried onions and tasted the difference? Is it exactly the same?
          My wife and the guests didn't seem to notice, sometimes I don't tell them. For me it is better as to fry the fresh onion is very technical, you fry too much, too little, cut too thick, didn't manage heat properly and you ruin expensive meat item. Also the house smells like hell and takes a lot of time. You can cook with way less oil too. Also make sure oil is not too hot and take the pan off heat as the onions will burn immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
            My wife and the guests didn't seem to notice, sometimes I don't tell them. For me it is better as to fry the fresh onion is very technical, you fry too much, too little, cut too thick, didn't manage heat properly and you ruin expensive meat item. Also the house smells like hell and takes a lot of time. You can cook with way less oil too. Also make sure oil is not too hot and take the pan off heat as the onions will burn immediately.
            I actually wish to get a dehydrator and do it myself, but I don't know if it's worth it.

Comment

I never used pre fried onions. Some months ago I used at a friends place. Then I smelled this strange thing. Today I fried fresh onions. And then put them in my freshly prepared curry which was without onion and they smelled same way.

Comment

Working...
              X